Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,454,482 times

Advertisements

Some of us are of Scandinavian descent and don't take to hot temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 PM

219 posts, read 311,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The wife is half Irish and can't wait for cool, cloudy and clammy. 52 and drizzle is just about perfection in her mind. Keeps talking about how good the climate will be for her complexion and general pastiness.

Agree that the humidity brings a whole different element to the heat but it looks like you guys have had a pretty warm summer by any standard.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,926,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat105 View Post
Some of you people complaining about 85 being too hot and uncomfortable are NUTS!! Come live in HELL for awhile and you'll PAY for 85 degree days in the summer. Dallas, Texas is 90's plus for four months with a month of 100 degree temps in there, every year for the past several. I blame it on climate change cuz it used to only do this every 18-20 years, now it's all the time. It's HELL and the humidity is paralyzing. We get cold for about two months and it's glorious 30's and 40's. Colder than that, I don't care, it's still not effing HOT as Hell. I'll take several grey days over the heat that kills grass, flowers, etc., unless you can water every day (before 9:00 or you'll faint) OH but there's also water restrictions because it rarely rains in the summer. And when it does, it's the Monster Thunderstorms that come down from the Jetstream with drops in barometric pressure that incapacitate me. As a fibromyalgia patient, the heat, humidity and low b.p. are killers. The monster thunder storms also bring golf-ball sized hail in summer, lighting crashes that knock down 100-yr old trees, and kill people standing outside, and thunder cracking so loud you wonder if the world is coming to an end. I can't wait to get out of here and take those beautiful lovely light rainy days and grey skies. The sun is great once in a while as long as it's not burning a hole in your yard. Not to mention losing the $400 electric bill that only keeps the 1800sf double-paned windowed house at 80 degrees when the thermostat is set at 67 because of the "20 degree rule". It's rarely cool inside during July, August and most of September. We couldn't live without our SEVEN ceiling fans. We get maybe 20 "nice days" a year, 70's breezy, comfortable. But our idiot governor keeps putting corporations in his pocket to get them to move here so more people, more traffic, more congestion, more apartments and houses in tighter quarters. Saying goodbye to Dallas and moving to Portland in about 18-24 mos if I'm lucky. Advice? Do NOT move to Texas.
I don't think anyone would ever claim Portland is as hot as Texas (though its winters are comparably warm, at least in terms of lows) but July and August in Portland can definitely be quite miserable without AC. It's markedly warmer than the coast or even Seattle.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,431,992 times
Quote:
Does one's ethnic descent really play that much role in terms of what climate one prefers?

When I was travelling through Southern Mexico and Central America for two months I met tons of tanned Scandinavians and Brits and Germans who were in paradise down there and dreading having to ever go back home.

Last edited by Deezus; 09-02-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,454,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Does one's ethnic descent really play that much role in terms of what climate one prefers?

When I was travelling through Southern Mexico and Central America for two months I met tons of tanned Scandinavians and Brits and Germans who were in paradise down there and dreading having to ever go back home.

Note that they were on vacation, they didn't plan to move to that climate.

So, yes ethnic descent does play a role.

FWIW I used to remind my boss, who was Black, to use sunscreen on her vacations to the tropics. She told me that I was the only one who jumped on her about that.. and she was susceptible to sunburn.

Blue eyed, fair haired... susceptible to skin cancer with sun exposure over time. My brother can attest to that.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Note that they were on vacation, they didn't plan to move to that climate.

So, yes ethnic descent does play a role.
Actually some were living down there semi-permanently or retired down there, a lot of others were just trying to stay as long as they liked economically speaking. But to give another example less extreme, look at all the descendants of Northern European ancestors that moved to the Sun Belt--everywhere from Southern California to Arizona to Texas to Florida. A lot of them moved because they prefer the warmer and sunnier weather in the southern half of the country--especially the whole "snowbird" population. People don't retire to the northern tier of states for the most part as much.

The fact is that most human beings prefer sun and warmth(few places have year round extreme heat) rather than grey skies and mild or cold temperatures. Most people move to or live in the Pacific Northwest "in spite" of the year-round weather not because of it. For all the claims of people that they love all the weather here, I know plenty of people who grew up here of several generations of Scandinavian or German descent who absolutely hate the greyer milder weather here and admit it and love to get away to somewhere sunny and hot.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,926,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The fact is that most human beings prefer sun and warmth(few places have year round extreme heat) rather than grey skies and mild or cold temperatures. Most people move to or live in the Pacific Northwest "in spite" of the year-round weather not because of it. For all the claims of people that they love all the weather here, I know plenty of people who grew up here of several generations of Scandinavian or German descent who absolutely hate the greyer milder weather here and admit it and love to get away to somewhere sunny and hot.
I must be a weirdo then, since even 78 degrees with blazing sun is irritating to me and anything above 85 makes me want to cry.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I must be a weirdo then, since even 78 degrees with blazing sun is irritating to me and anything above 85 makes me want to cry.
There's nothing weird about that, but I think if you asked most people regardless of ethnicity what they would prefer--a sunny 75 degree day or a cloudy 48 degree day they'd be saying 75 degrees overwhelmingly. There's a reason that so many people all over the US take vacations in Florida and Hawaii and Las Vegas instead of the Oregon Coast or New England.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 PM

111 posts, read 170,870 times
Speaking of the Oregon Coast, my wife and I learned a good lesson about the marine layer today. We decided to escape the heat (what's up with this heat anyway) and camp at Barview Jetty. Maybe catch the sunset, do some stargazing. Well, I'm sure you Pacific Coast veterans know that didn't work out too well for us...

It is nice and cool out here though!

Old 09-07-2014, 02:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,639,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
It's quite simple. Winter lasts forever, and it rains nearly every day. Temperatures are cold as heck, but usually no freezes, and it's depressingly gray. Biking in the ever present winter drizzle is not fun! Then there's three to four months of summer. Nice weather, usually. Then, it starts all over again. Without me I might add. Did a few years there, never again. Couldn't get used to the lack of sun or warmth. Left and ended up staying four years in New Mexico, and on our third year in Florida now. Works for us. It really was depressing in Portland. Physically depressing. You have no idea of the reality of it until you move there.
I bicycle commuted for a couple years daily, in all weather. It is not that bad really. Yes, you need a rain suit. I learned about proper gear riding motorcycles in Portland. Riding for pleasure might be a bit of a downer for someone who needs a cool sunny day to get a ride in.

I am scandi decent. I like the hot temps, more so as I get older. My grand parents loved Portland it was like "home".

I lived in Portland for 40+ years and never had AC. I think I would need it for a week or 2 tops never justified the purchase of central air for my home.

After living in Texas now for 8 years I literally get a chill in July in Portland anything below 70 jacket weather for me now.

Weather is what you make of it in Portland. If you wait for the "right" weather, you will never do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland