Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:26 AM

286 posts, read 262,512 times

Advertisements

many parts of US are 110F some days, and -30F on some nights. If you only have 90 degree shifts, you're in a mild climate. The only sensible answer is to move in spring and fall. In the Rockis, you can often adjust your temp by 30F degrees by moving 50 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:32 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
I'm just grateful that it cools down overnight; even if it does come late. My friend who lives in Phoenix tells me about her low of 80+ and high of 110. Yeah, I'll take the 100, as long as it cools down to 60's. Almost there, maybe a few more hours and then I can turn the fans to blowing inside. Hopefully I'll be able to stay up. Haha.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Haha, probably. When I first moved here I would have loved summers like this, it now that I am use to the weather here, anything over 85 is just too hot for me.
Didn't you just move here last year from the east coast?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Didn't you just move here last year from the east coast?
I moved to the Northwest in 2001, and moved to Portland in 2003.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I'm just grateful that it cools down overnight; even if it does come late. My friend who lives in Phoenix tells me about her low of 80+ and high of 110. Yeah, I'll take the 100, as long as it cools down to 60's. Almost there, maybe a few more hours and then I can turn the fans to blowing inside. Hopefully I'll be able to stay up. Haha.
Yep, can relate to the Phoenix reference - PDX native here, presently in Palm Springs. 111 yesterday, with a low of 82 this morning. Currently 92 approaching 9am. Luckily, most of the time the humidity is in the single digits so it's a very dry heat, but one learns to get all the erranding done first thing in the morning and to take an ice chest when going grocery shopping so the ice cream doesn't turn back into just cream. Frankly, every place in the country has its cross to bear, weatherwise. I had to leave PDX because of my SAD (diagnosed and everything, not just something I made up) but I still tell people that once summer finally gets there on the 5th of July, there's no more beautiful corner of the country. But, I still love being able to run around in my shorts here on Christmas because it's 75 out!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:34 AM

300 posts, read 267,308 times
No offense to you of course, but I'm not sure how people could get SAD here? I really don't think it even rains much at all here. The overcast is hardly an issue either?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
No offense to you of course, but I'm not sure how people could get SAD here? I really don't think it even rains much at all here. The overcast is hardly an issue either?
SAD has nothing to do with rain. It's about daylight - or lack thereof. For those with SAD, the limited light coming through the gray overcast isn't enough to tell the brain that it's daytime so one gets more and more sluggish and depressed as the brain stays in night mode.

Way back in the day when I worked at OHSU, it was one of the nation's early research institutions into seasonal adjustment disorders. My boss there was an early adopter of light technology for combating jet lag.

The overcast in PDX is a *huge* issue, as it can be cloudy there for weeks on end (and the random partly sunny day in-between isn't enough to reverse the downtown). I grew up there and lived there for nearly 40 years, so the constant grayness and drizzle is extremely familiar! October was the month everything started going downhill for me, and things didn't start resolving until late April or May.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:21 PM

616 posts, read 644,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
SAD has nothing to do with rain. It's about daylight - or lack thereof. For those with SAD, the limited light coming through the gray overcast isn't enough to tell the brain that it's daytime so one gets more and more sluggish and depressed as the brain stays in night mode.

Way back in the day when I worked at OHSU, it was one of the nation's early research institutions into seasonal adjustment disorders. My boss there was an early adopter of light technology for combating jet lag.

The overcast in PDX is a *huge* issue, as it can be cloudy there for weeks on end (and the random partly sunny day in-between isn't enough to reverse the downtown). I grew up there and lived there for nearly 40 years, so the constant grayness and drizzle is extremely familiar! October was the month everything started going downhill for me, and things didn't start resolving until late April or May.
you made the right choice and I think its great

Old 08-02-2015, 03:03 PM

325 posts, read 336,470 times
Interesting thread here...In 2007 I spent a few months on the central Oregon coast, and by late fall I don't hate the frequent dreariness and the cloudiness there. I've see frequent scattered showers, high winds associated with rains, and even some thunder and lightning on the coast. I know this is should be about the Portland area but that city's winters I think would be similar but with less high winds. The real reason I left OR was much more about jobs than the climate.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 PM

300 posts, read 267,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
Interesting thread here...In 2007 I spent a few months on the central Oregon coast, and by late fall I don't hate the frequent dreariness and the cloudiness there. I've see frequent scattered showers, high winds associated with rains, and even some thunder and lightning on the coast. I know this is should be about the Portland area but that city's winters I think would be similar but with less high winds. The real reason I left OR was much more about jobs than the climate.
Where did you end up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland