Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM

93 posts, read 88,545 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone. I was wondering if Portland has any standards my car has to meet, as far as emissions or anything like that. I've heard they have air-quality standards in California and it seems like Port,and would, too. Also, where do I get my tags? Is there just one DMV or will I have several locations I can go to? How much do they cost?

Thanks, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Take your car to a DEQ test site (unlike CA you can't get certified at a garage) and once if passes I think you can get your new tags at any DMV.

You will also need to pass the Oregon driver's test. The manual and test samples are on the DMV web site. Our laws are different in some respects than CA's particularly with respect to u-turns.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Take your car to a DEQ test site (unlike CA you can't get certified at a garage)
and once if passes I think you can get your new tags at any DMV.
It's easy, if you have a newer car they just plug into the vehicles computer system (where code readers plug in) and a few minutes later you are good to go.

If you are already a resident and renewing, you can get your tags right on the spot.
Unless there is a problem, that is.

There are exceptions to DEQ testing such as diesel vehicles over 8501lbs GVWR, and older cars.
I forget the cut off date for the older cars, but I think it's 1975 and older vehicles.
So if your car is newer than 1975 you have to DEQ it.

Here is the link for OREGON DMV, it will answer all your questions:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/Pages/index.aspx

Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
And there are DEQ and DMV sites everywhere.

I believe DEQ was $20 and my tags were about $160 plus something else since I was registering a new or out of state car. Don't forget to add, $60, I think for a new DL. Tags are good for 2 years. DL for 8 I believe.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM

Much to my husband's chagrin only pre 76 cars are exempt from DEQ. He thought once our car was over 20 years old he didn't need to mess with that.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Tags are good for 2 years.
I just picked up my plates from the dealship and the tags are until 2018.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 18,916 times
Was the written test difficult? I recently moved here and am thinking I'll go to the DMV this week and try to figure all of the registration stuff out, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to take a written driving test without studying up a bit.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 PM

The driver's manual and mock test are online. Lots of very smart experienced drivers take it twice.

Plates for new cars are good for 4 years.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
I just picked up my plates from the dealship and the tags are until 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Plates for new cars are good for 4 years.
FYI. I registered my out of state car (not new from a dealership) and well, we only get 2 years. I'm told when you renew you can renew up to 4 also? Didn't know that for new cars, but good to know. Thanks Nell Plotts. +

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippn View Post
Was the written test difficult? I recently moved here and am thinking I'll go to the DMV this week and try to figure all of the registration stuff out, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to take a written driving test without studying up a bit.

The biggest difference from CA is that u-turns are PROHIBITED here unless a sign says otherwise. I posted about the main differences btwn CA and OR. I don't believe there were many. There's a lot more bike laws, like special lanes, etc.

Oh, here's the post: My post
The entire thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:25 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippn View Post
Read the rules book and do a practice test or two. Spend an hour studying and you'll pass on the first try. To do the licensing test, get a new Class C license, re-title your car, pass DEQ, and get new plates/registration, it costs $280 for all of that. To get it all, you'll need a birth certificate, existing form of ID (e.g. out-of-state license), proof of residency (e.g. utility bill) and your out-of-state title. My son just moved here, so we're in the process of doing this right now (he failed the test his first time, today, since he didn't study like I told him, too...lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland