Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to that property management firm's rentals: Portland Apartments for Rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperry9 View Post
Yea, that's a good price for that area, if they were here to get it in time. It doesn't look particularly new, though.

Again, it's going to require knowing their price range before the question can be answered within reason. People have a huge range of retirement situations based on things like 401K and other portfolios, pensions, plus Social Security, and just plain old retirement savings.
I agree with your points, I just tend to think from the numbers that the population of retirees that can reasonably float $1626/mo plus utils is going to be somewhat restricted. Certainly could apply to the OP, but broadly speaking, it's going to be a subset who can. And if they can afford that, they'd probably also want A/C. Or perhaps they can make do with refrigerated undergarments.

Though you're certainly right that it's going to be hard to get a great neighborhood in the near west in a nice location with full amenities for what the average person can probably swing. That's a tall order in the current market.

I make above median, but I couldn't justify spending that much. Personally I like Hillsboro so if I were looking west side I'd probably live farther west and take the savings that tends to go with that. Even if it means passing on the views. Though the same complex does seem to offer lower cost units down closer to the main road, presumably also without the views you get higher up the hill.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 PM

126 posts, read 153,704 times
I posted that because I got the impression condition was all important to this OP, which immediately says upscale to me. You pay for interiors like that apartment so it's not just location. I personally like having A/C too but I'm not sure I'm convinced that's a big priority for builders in this state. As far as more than one parking space included, yes in some apartments. I think most townhouses have one car garages but you could also park in the driveway if you want to shuffle cars.

I think you're putting a lot of demands on something in the $1500+ price range. From what I've seen that isn't even on the high side for a newer two bedroom place close to town. I wish it was, but I think the warnings some people give out about close-in PDX being expensive are not at all unfounded.

If they want to go waaaay out to Hillsboro or even Gresham, then the ball game is quite different. I've seen nice newer 3 bdrm townhouses in Gresham for around $1250. Very occasionally they turn up in east-central Portland too for that much.

Edit: actually, after reflecting, I can safely put the number for some newer townhouses lower. I can remember seeing some around $1000 in Gresham and a couple maybe $100 more than that west of 205 in Portland. I don't think the latter case shows up too often, though for newer units.

I think this conversation could be useful for the OP, though, to put price ranges in perspective and start considering the suburbs if that makes more sense for their budget.

Last edited by dperry9; 07-24-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM

On the subject of affordable suburban apartments, here's a nice one for $1045 in Tualatin:

Top Floor! Great Community with Spacious Grounds... Stonesthrow!

Still deviating from the OP's focus but it's relevant if they consider apartments instead of townhouses.

Really small, though.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM

OK, I finally found something on point. Beaverton townhouse under $1100, newish but no garage (two space driveway they are calling a carport):

Beaverton 2bd TH. Close 2 transportation. Private patio.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 3,360 times
Thank you so much for all your input!
I will keep checking just in case you will post a new area that you might see driving around....
Yes, we figured for what we are asking that it will be around $1,400- 1,500, but do not really want to go over that amount.
What about the SE Portland/suburbs area?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM

What I showed you are in the suburbs to the west. I am not an expert in SE.

You should really determine what you want out of a Portland metro experience and search in that vicinity, or convenient to that vicinity.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,360 times
We like to be closest to the city as possible within our price range, nice and low crime.
Mainly we love Farmers Markets, Specialty supermarkets like New Seasons Market, Whole Foods ect. and Nature Trails, Parks ... Those are our main need/likings.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM

You can find new/newer one bedrooms in NW in that price range. You might have to park on the street. The advantage of NW is the frequent transit service. You can use it to get to Washington Park, Forest Park, downtown to access farmer's markets. This convenience comes at a price.

New Seasons is a year or so away but there is a Whole Paycheck. FYI there is a New Season's right on the MAX near NE Interstate & Rosa Parks Way.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
There are trails over most of the metro. I don't think you're going to be able to hit everything you want for $1400, but I think you can get most.

Personally I'd suggest looking around Rock Creek. Nice balance of trails/cost. And it's a short hop to the Whole Foods/TJs in Tanasbourne and the New Seasons in Orenco. Farmer's markets in several spots nearby, and I think they still have the summer/fall farmstand just off 185th West Union, and a few on Cornell, etc. Maybe Orenco, though I think there you're probably back to stretching your housing budget (Fully Equipped Kitchen, WiFi In All Community Spaces, Urban Flat)

The downside is that you're farther from downtown, but you haven't listed any specific want that makes me think you need to be near downtown either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland