Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:51 PM

126 posts, read 153,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ines4824 View Post
What about the SE Portland/suburbs area?
Consider Milwaukie. It's a short hop into East Portland on 99E and then up to the Morrison or Hawthorne bridges into downtown. My sister knows someone who lives there and really likes it. It's an alternative to going out towards Beaverton (maybe a faster drive, I'm not sure) and probably cheaper than Lake Oswego overall. Tigard isn't too bad either.

Here's a remodeled house for $1400 near the river in Milwaukie on a 1/4 acre lot:

Updated home in private area

Not sure about shopping.

I second the observation that living close to town might not be your best option. You would probably love the NW neighborhoods but finding the kind of newish place you want in your price range might be a challenge and I'm sure they get snatched up very quickly.

I found this website for condo searching in town:

Portland Condos for sale, Condos Portland Oregon, Portland OR Condominiums

The affordable ones on here are pretty small, but some look nice.

But with a $1500 budget, just keep searching and you will most likely find a townhouse or a recently updated house in good enough condition that it will suit you. It helps that you are flexible and not overly concerned about commuting. I still think Beaverton looks attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,358 times
It is quite apparent that with our budget, we would have to sacrifice conveniency to downtown,
so the suburbs are looking quite attractive
A lot of great suggestions here, I keep checking them all on google Maps, like around Beaverton, Bethany, Hillboro.
I am very interested about Milwaukie too.
We rather compromise having nobody above or under as it would be in an apartment, with having a garage, newer place, but not as close to everything.
Which one of the suburbs would a bit less of a hassle to come into town?

Old 07-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Probably Lake Oswego. You should look there too. As far as newer developments in the suburbs, it would be a place to look. It's not all super high end either, I think there's a range.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ines4824 View Post
Which one of the suburbs would a bit less of a hassle to come into town?
Depends on time of day and mode of travel. Assuming you mean eves/weekends and you want to drive, the nearer in suburbs like Milw or Beav are probably 'most' convenient, but off peak the metro isn't that big or generally that slow from anywhere. Somewhere like Forest Grove or Molalla is going to feel pretty far out, but otherwise not that big a deal. Even Vancouver is pretty close as long as the bridges don't clog up. Oregon City is far only because there's not really a direct route [other than 99 which is slow with lights].

From the Bethany area you can also take one of the more 'scenic' routes (Thompson/Skyline/Cornell) rather than getting on 26.

At risk of getting too off-topic, it's also notable that the Portland metro has lots of little pods of activity/restaurants/services. When I lived out near Orenco, really we weren't compelled to go into downtown all that often. The occasional show or arty film at Living Room Theater, perhaps, or OMSI.

Great dining just about anywhere in the metro you are. Likewise, if you were living in Milwaukie you might opt to hit Moreland/Sellwood or Hawthorne instead of actually going downtown. On the east side there's Hollywood or Alberta, etc., or the Asian dominated area around 82nd division (I forget the new nickname - Jade something?) which includes Fubonn and more Thai/Pho than you can shake a stick at.

Even Gresham/Troutdale (usually the most widely mocked area on these forums) is starting to get more quality restaurants.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Stumbled on one of those SE PDX newer townhouses for reasonable $$ that I mentioned earlier. Hard to tell from the outside shot how old this is. Could be ten years old, maybe a little more, might be only a few years old. Interior is too dark to tell. This place is only $1250, though, which seems really reasonable to me (3 bedrooms, one car garage). It's in Gilbert/Powellhurst, not far from Powell Butte park and close enough to 205 for good freeway access. This whole neighborhood seems to have a lot of these types.

Gilbert neighborhood

Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 PM

Actually that shot is five years old so obviously it's not brand new, but it does make the point that reasonable townhouses can be found in SE.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:42 AM

This is a little off base but I thought I'd share it for the sake of FYI. I'm really amazed at the price of this apartment based on location ($1500 in the Pearl, seems to be a nice building a stones throw from the river). I wouldn't have expected this price point here. Downtown alternatives may exist, in other words. As far as nature, Forest Park would be a pretty easy destination from here, or anywhere in NW.

I gotta say, I'd personally enjoy living here.

Play. Work. Live. Urban Living at It's Finest!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperry9 View Post
This is a little off base but I thought I'd share it for the sake of FYI. I'm really amazed at the price of this apartment based on location ($1500 in the Pearl, seems to be a nice building a stones throw from the river). I wouldn't have expected this price point here. Downtown alternatives may exist, in other words. As far as nature, Forest Park would be a pretty easy destination from here, or anywhere in NW.

I gotta say, I'd personally enjoy living here.

Play. Work. Live. Urban Living at It's Finest!
The problem with those units is both the sounds of train traffic and the fact that you must use a pedestrian bridge to walk to the train station over the tracks. Once you have crossed on that bridge you are also closer than many want to be to Old Town. This building is NOT in the Pearl.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:26 PM

Point taken, not the Pearl, but close. If the train's a problem then that may explain the price. I still think it's a nice looking unit in an interesting area.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
The units being built here https://maps.google.com/maps?q=18057...gl=us&t=h&z=16 look to be about finished. I may be in that area later today and I'll check back later with more info for you.
This is the place. Looks much nicer now that it's closer to completion.

Apts for Rent in Tualatin | Eddyline Bridgeport | Mill Creek Places

Oregon Apt Development | Eddyline Bridgeport | Mill Creek Places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland