Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 PM

308 posts, read 410,421 times

Advertisements

They make me feel extremely claustrophobic. Not to mention the lack of space for "stuff"--and we're a middle-aged couple, so we have lots of "stuff"--much of which we aren't willing to give up.

So it wouldn't work for us, but it might well work for someone who is unencumbered by "things" and doesn't need a lot of space for hobbies, workshops, offices, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 AM

578 posts, read 572,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
They can buy land because land can be cheaper sometimes. Where I live, it's very cheap. I realize not everyone wants to live in the boonies. But for some people, that can be a solution.
In most cases, it is not. That is often the real big price of a new home.

Houses themselves can be pretty cheap. You can easily get a small manufactured home for $30K. And this will be bigger than a tiny home. The problem is that land lots in most communities is easily near $100K for an acre lot. And there are many towns that require 2 acre minimum lots sizes now! The houses themselves often loose value as they age. It is the land that makes up the real value of a property.

I get the Tiny House movement. I just am not sure that they are focusing on the right issues. It is often cheaper, more efficient, and greener to build larger but simpler. And I don't think the cost issue is really tied in with the unit itself - it is where that unit gets housed that is the driving cost factor.

In the end tiny house communities already exist and have for decades. We call them trailer parks. But they have a lot of issue. Why not start from there, and start addressing the negative issues of tehe trailer park and build the movement from there?

Old 07-08-2015, 04:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
In most cases, it is not. That is often the real big price of a new home.

Houses themselves can be pretty cheap. You can easily get a small manufactured home for $30K. And this will be bigger than a tiny home. The problem is that land lots in most communities is easily near $100K for an acre lot. And there are many towns that require 2 acre minimum lots sizes now! The houses themselves often loose value as they age. It is the land that makes up the real value of a property.

I get the Tiny House movement. I just am not sure that they are focusing on the right issues. It is often cheaper, more efficient, and greener to build larger but simpler. And I don't think the cost issue is really tied in with the unit itself - it is where that unit gets housed that is the driving cost factor.

In the end tiny house communities already exist and have for decades. We call them trailer parks. But they have a lot of issue. Why not start from there, and start addressing the negative issues of tehe trailer park and build the movement from there?

That right there is a huge Fail for many people. A depreciating box in a depressing environment, no thanks.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
The thought is good, but I don't get why we should feel content to live in shacks when the plutocracy keeps building larger and larger mansions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland