Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,280 times

Advertisements

Don't forget about electric bicycles!

I just bought an IZIP E3 Dash, and it's probably the best thing I've ever bought in my life. If you don't feel like pedaling, you can go 20 mph. If you do pedal (and you'll want to because it's so much fun) then the motor senses how fast you're trying to go (by analyzing your torque and cadence) and boosts you so that you feel superhuman, and can go up to 30 mph!

There are shops downtown that will let you test drive or rent them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Expensive bike are attractive to thieves, you really want to be able to lock them in a secure area or bike garage.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
U.S. law requires all e-bikes sold here to have controller circuitry that cuts out the assist when speeds reach 20mph. This means you cannot ever reach 30mph on level pavement by using a combination of electric and human power. Of course there are people who know how to hack these systems and override the speed limitation, but the average customer for these vehicles will not. That said, a sustained 20mph on level ground is nothing to sneeze at! Enjoy.

H

Old 09-09-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
U.S. law requires all e-bikes sold here to have controller circuitry that cuts out the assist when speeds reach 20mph. This means you cannot ever reach 30mph on level pavement by using a combination of electric and human power. Of course there are people who know how to hack these systems and override the speed limitation, but the average customer for these vehicles will not. That said, a sustained 20mph on level ground is nothing to sneeze at! Enjoy.

H
This is inaccurate--since 2013 models, they have found a loophole in the law that legally allows up to 28 mph in pedal-assist mode. (Speed is still limited to 20 mph in throttle-only mode)

Currie, Specialized, and Stromer (world-renowned bicycle brands) all make production model electric bicycles that officially reach 28 mph right out of the box

I bought my Currie IZIP E3 Dash at REI, and although the limiter tries to electronically limit me to 28 mph, with some effort I can reach 30 mph in pedal-assist mode. I have made no modifications to my bicycle--this is the way it is produced and sold.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Wish the price would come down a bit on them!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 AM

93 posts, read 88,560 times
Those sound like a good option, if I can keep it from getting stolen and if I can afford one in the first place, which might be plausible if I'm saving a lot of money by not having a car. I suppose the other thing to think about is the rain. Bikes are fun when it's nice out, but I better have a good raincoat, too, eh? What is it with no one using umbrellas in Portland?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
A rain jacket with a hood, layer under for warmth if necessary (this isn't Minnesota) whether you bike or not. If you bike lightweight rain pants over your work pants.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreeze2014 View Post
Those sound like a good option, if I can keep it from getting stolen and if I can afford one in the first place, which might be plausible if I'm saving a lot of money by not having a car. I suppose the other thing to think about is the rain. Bikes are fun when it's nice out, but I better have a good raincoat, too, eh? What is it with no one using umbrellas in Portland?
I recently returned from a trip to Portland, and I had the instinctual feeling that my electric bicycle wouldn't last a month before getting stolen.

Doesn't Oregon have a law that stealing any bicycle over $1000 in value is a felony? One would hope that as the word gets out about that, it might actually deter a thief who doesn't want to risk a felony conviction.

Another option is Velosurance bicycle insurance company. I just got a quote for a $2600 bike and it comes out to about $20/month for insurance, with only a $100 deductible, and even roadside assistance should you get a flat!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
In Oregon, petty theft is <$100, misdemeanor theft is $100 - $1,000 and felony theft is >$1,000. There are a lot of non-electric bicycles which go for >$1,000. Good bikes are expensive.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
1. The statement "it always rains here" means the following: it may rain, or it just has rained. Wet stuff falling from the sky is actually not that common. And when it actually happens, it is not heavy, as already stated in the weather threads.

2. My "dealing with rain" strategy was as follows: I looked out the window when I was about to head out. If it rained heavily, I drove. Otherwise, I bicycled. In an average month I drove no more than 2 or 3 days. Obviously, sometime I got rained on halfway through my commute, but once you are outside, the rain does not bother you so much.

3. The length of the bike commute matters. You can deal with being wet for say, 30 or 40 minutes. More than that and it gets unpleasant, or you risk outright hypothermia.

4. Time of day: DO NOT bicycle commute when all those 3 factors are present together: rain+darkness+heavy traffic. You are risking your life. I am not joking. Any 2 of these can be dealt with.

5. Equipment:
a) Waterproof, somewhat breathable (ex. Gore-Tex) jacket with hood. Regular lycra is OK for legs - they work hard and don't get cold easily.
b) Biggest, most protective fenders you can find, reaching almost all the way to the ground for both wheels. You get wet mostly from the wheel spray, not from the falling rain.
c) Disk Brakes! Highly recommended, even if you pay a little extra. Regular brakes wear out quickly, and often don't work on the steep Portland hills.
d) Brightest lights you can find, front and back. They are not cheap, but absolutely necessary if you value your life.
Flashing red taillight. Helmet-mounted headlight is more practical than one permanently attached to the bike.
e) Flat-proof tires. You will get flats far more often in wet weather (glass and such tend to stick to tires and does not release by the centrifugal force) Once you flat, fixing it is much more of a pain.
f) Follow-up from point e-all the equipment to fix a flat fast.

6. Route: absolutely essential - do whatever it takes to avoid roads with heavy car traffic. Even if it means you bike commute is substantially longer. Cycling for 45 minutes on quiet residential streets and bike paths is far more pleasant and safe than 20 minutes on busy thoroughfare.
Don't worry about the hills - you will become fit and strong, and will look forward to them.

7. Bicycle:
-Mountain bike is more practical than road bike, unless you really want to go 10% faster.
-Recumbent bikes are cute, but inefficient in the hills. They are best suited for flat routes where the wind blows hard, the opposite of the Seattle or Portland topology.
-Electric bike? Why not, but don't leave it out on the streets, even if locked (same goes for any nice bike).
If you use to commute to work, keep it parked inside, locked as well.
All in all, if I were looking for a commute bike, I'd spend a few hundred $$ for a nice, used mountain bike from Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland