Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 26,782 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am planning a move to PDX. Lived there before and resided in Gresham area. Looking for a neighborhood that meets these preferences (preferably in this order):

1) ideal for the asian community (spouse is asian), and on that note are there any asian organizations/groups/clubs? Where are the good asian markets/grocers?

2) good school system

3) good public parks

4) not too expensive house (under $240,000)

5) not a terrible commute to downtown pdx (under 45 minutes by car or rail)

Thanks much to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
IMO for good school system and residence under 240 you should look on the west side. East-side west of Tabor it's going to be very hard to find something in your price range, and east of Tabor the schools really aren't so hot. Happy Valley would be an exception but it's out of your price range - Gresham might work, but a 45 min commute to downtown seems quite optimistic.

Fubonn is 'the big' Asian market (SE 82nd http://www.fubonn.com/), but there are plenty scattered around.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:19 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBlack View Post
Hi everyone, I am planning a move to PDX. Lived there before and resided in Gresham area. Looking for a neighborhood that meets these preferences (preferably in this order):

1) ideal for the asian community (spouse is asian), and on that note are there any asian organizations/groups/clubs? Where are the good asian markets/grocers?
Biggest Asian markets are on SE 82nd with Fubonn and the newer Hong Phat--and then there's a Korean one down the street and a mix of smaller ones on Division and Powell. Not really the best area for schools though.

On the westside in Beaverton, there's also Uwijamaya--probably the cleanest and most appealing Asian market in the metro---it's mostly Japanese with a lot of Korean products, though they have a bit of everything--and the seafood selection is great. There's also H-Mart in Tigard--a massive Korean-owned grocery that specializes in Korean products and the new Asian Food Center in Beaverton--and there's a scattering of other smaller Asian groceries around Beaverton and into the eastern edge of Hillsboro(some Indian markets). There's enough Asians that there's a good selection of markets in that region these days. As far as prices and schools, you'll find better options out there probably.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
IMO for good school system and residence under 240 you should look on the west side. East-side west of Tabor it's going to be very hard to find something in your price range, and east of Tabor the schools really aren't so hot. Happy Valley would be an exception but it's out of your price range - Gresham might work, but a 45 min commute to downtown seems quite optimistic.

Fubonn is 'the big' Asian market (SE 82nd Fubonn Shopping Center | The Largest Asian Shopping Center in Oregon | Portland, Oregon), but there are plenty scattered around.

Thanks Bler. I used to live in Gresham and remember it took about a half hour to get downtown in non-rush hour. I liked Gresham but married now and didn't know anything about the schools.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Biggest Asian markets are on SE 82nd with Fubonn and the newer Hong Phat--and then there's a Korean one down the street and a mix of smaller ones on Division and Powell. Not really the best area for schools though.

On the westside in Beaverton, there's also Uwijamaya--probably the cleanest and most appealing Asian market in the metro---it's mostly Japanese with a lot of Korean products, though they have a bit of everything--and the seafood selection is great. There's also H-Mart in Tigard--a massive Korean-owned grocery that specializes in Korean products and the new Asian Food Center in Beaverton--and there's a scattering of other smaller Asian groceries around Beaverton and into the eastern edge of Hillsboro(some Indian markets). There's enough Asians that there's a good selection of markets in that region these days. As far as prices and schools, you'll find better options out there probably.

After doing some research it appears the Beaverton-Aloha-Hillsboro areas seems to be the best areas for a asian population. The schools appear to be decent but I know the commute to downtown is hell.

Thanks for the listing of asian markets.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
I commute to downtown from that area and so do many of my co-workers. It isn't hell.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:18 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I commute to downtown from that area and so do many of my co-workers. It isn't hell.
That's going to vary on one's view of hell, and how far out you're talking.

Personally it would drive me to road rage and/or insanity to commute downtown from Orenco by car at rush 5 days a week - Sylvan I could manage. But then I prefer to bike/walk and while I love to drive, I grew up in the country and congestion drives me batty.

I could commute 45 minutes down a rural highway and be quite happy - 30 minutes in stop/go traffic and I would pull all my hair out. YMMV.

For the OP, traffic around the metro tends to be heavier in most places than even a few years ago. Depending on where in Gresham you were looking, I'd probably count on it being about 45 minutes on an average day. Schools are mixed so you'd want to pick your district carefully over there if you did go that way.

Honestly for working down town I think I'd take Beaverton hands down - shorter drive on a good day, better schools overall, and I prefer the topography of the west side.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
That's going to vary on one's view of hell, and how far out you're talking.

Personally it would drive me to road rage and/or insanity to commute downtown from Orenco by car at rush 5 days a week - Sylvan I could manage. But then I prefer to bike/walk and while I love to drive, I grew up in the country and congestion drives me batty.

I could commute 45 minutes down a rural highway and be quite happy - 30 minutes in stop/go traffic and I would pull all my hair out. YMMV.

For the OP, traffic around the metro tends to be heavier in most places than even a few years ago. Depending on where in Gresham you were looking, I'd probably count on it being about 45 minutes on an average day. Schools are mixed so you'd want to pick your district carefully over there if you did go that way.

Honestly for working down town I think I'd take Beaverton hands down - shorter drive on a good day, better schools overall, and I prefer the topography of the west side.

I am inclined to agree with you. After doing some intense research I think Beaverton area is my best choice. I would be at work before 7 am so I can't imagine to much rush hour at that time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland