Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,838,868 times

Advertisements

Here are three very short videos featuring two architects explaining the appeal of Portland on a series of three topics:

Part I: Transportation
Architects Explain the Appeal of Portland, Ore.: Part I, Transportation - Architects Explain the Appeal of Portland, Ore.: Part I, Transportation

Part II: Public Spaces
Architects Explain the Appeal of Portland, Ore.: Part II, Public Spaces - Architects Explain the Appeal of Portland, Ore.: Part II, Public Spaces

Part II: Retail
Architects Explain the Appeal of Portland, Ore.: Part III, Retail - Architects Explain the Appeal of Portland, Ore.: Part III, Retail

I especially liked the public spaces piece. What a great way of designing public spaces for people to congregate and to encourage investments in small businesses.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:58 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
Architect Berg's comment very early in Part I that you can get anywhere in the city in 15 minutes is inaccurate, 30 minutes around the core area is more like it. With that exception I found all three videos well done.

Note the AIA after their names. The AIA is a professional organization. You can be a licensed Architect and not belong to the AIA.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 09-04-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 08:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Architect Berg's comment very early in Part I that you can get anywhere in the city in 15 minutes is inaccurate, 30 minutes around the core area is more like it. With that exception I found all three videos well done.

Note the AIA after their names. The AIA is a professional organization. You can be a licensed Architect and not belong to the AIA.
Outside of rush hour times, I have no problem getting most places in Portland in 15 minutes.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Outside of rush hour times, I have no problem getting most places in Portland in 15 minutes.
You mean between 10pm and 6am?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
Ok, 20-25 minutes minimum with no traffic.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No, do you not know when Portland's rush hour times are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Ok, 20-25 minutes minimum with no traffic.
At most if you have to go a distance to a place. For most of your needs, 15 minutes should be more than enough time unless you are headed out to the outer parts of the suburb or driving across the metro.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,496,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is not far from the truth. If you want to avoid the morning rush hour, 6AM is your last call to leave the house. By 6:30, and definitely 7AM, the morning rush hours is under way.
It lasts till well past 9AM (just check I5, I84, 217 or 26), thinning no earlier than 9:30 or so, unless there is a lingering backup from some accident etc.
Lunch-time congestion (people insist on driving instead of walking to get lunch) comes next. It starts ~11:30 and lasts till ~1PM.
Between 1PM and 3PM you have a short window of opportunity if you want to get somewhere.
By 3:30PM or so the afternoon rush unfolds, and lasts till 6:30 or 7PM.
All in all, one has maybe 5 hours of the day to move, relatively free, between places.

Thanks to traffic congestion we're becoming imprisoned in our own immediate neighborhoods. Nice.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
This is not far from the truth. If you want to avoid the morning rush hour, 6AM is your last call to leave the house. By 6:30, and definitely 7AM, the morning rush hours is under way.
It lasts till well past 9AM (just check I5, I84, 217 or 26), thinning no earlier than 9:30 or so, unless there is a lingering backup from some accident etc.
Lunch-time congestion (people insist on driving instead of walking to get lunch) comes next. It starts ~11:30 and lasts till ~1PM.
Between 1PM and 3PM you have a short window of opportunity if you want to get somewhere.
By 3:30PM or so the afternoon rush unfolds, and lasts till 6:30 or 7PM.
All in all, one has maybe 5 hours of the day to move, relatively free, between places.

Thanks to traffic congestion we're becoming imprisoned in our own immediate neighborhoods. Nice.
Suburb traffic does make commutes longer for those that choose a more suburban life. The city of Portland it is still easy to get places in about 15 minutes.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,496,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Suburb traffic does make commutes longer for those that choose a more suburban life. The city of Portland it is still easy to get places in about 15 minutes.
Yes, within couple of miles from the city center. But you can't afford to live there. Go a little further out, even within Portland "city" limits, and you're stuck like everybody else.
Furthermore, majority of people who live in PDX metro area don't need, want or care to go anywhere near downtown Portland. Their lives revolve around the "suburbs" (which according to some posters here, means "you can't walk there from downtown under 15 minutes")

Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Yes, within couple of miles from the city center. But you can't afford to live there. Go a little further out, even within Portland "city" limits, and you're stuck like everybody else.
Furthermore, majority of people who live in PDX metro area don't need, want or care to go anywhere near downtown Portland. Their lives revolve around the "suburbs" (which according to some posters here, means "you can't walk there from downtown under 15 minutes")
Can't afford to live there? Interesting seeing lots of people call within 5 miles of downtown, home. So there is a large number of people that do live within that range. Also I rarely need to go downtown for anything, most of my things that I go to are all within 15 minutes of me.

If someone in the suburbs can't get to where they are going within 20 minutes, then they are either going too far to get what they need or they are living in an area that has poor services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland