Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I've said nothing about it being a liberal hell hole

That's a great solution. Everyone who opines that Portland's traffic is bad should leave Portland. Love it or leave it is the dumbest response to anything.
Well I disagree with you about how bad traffic is here, I have seen much, much worse.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
No, the article does not back up your claim at all. It does, however, refutes your opinion.

The comments of "if you don't like it leave or don't live there" offers no value. I think it is great that you defend Portland if you feel there is invalid criticism. But not every remark is a personal attack on your 'beloved' city.
You should try clicking on the interactive link, the worst commute is I-5 to Vancouver, after that it is pretty mild compared to other cities. Sometimes you have to look at the data rather than the article.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
This has always been my idea for a new traffic pattern

Abolish "405" and turn it into I-5 and make the portion between the I-5/405 interchange and I-5/84 interchange an exit to 84/from I-5. Likewise, make the Marquam bridge an exit to 84/From I-5 as well.
So you solution is to change the name of the interstates?

Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
You posted this early afternoon, so I'm not particularly surprised it wasn't too bad at 1:30 pm. Try it at 4:45 going north from the Steel Bridge to Lombard and I'd wager it will be at least twice as long.

As Deezus notes, the issue is chokepoints, particularly when you add congestion. Most of the day Interstate isn't that bad, but during rush it is because you get sufficient traffic trying to turn left that it clogs up all the traffic trying to go straight, particularly when you miss a cycle or two for MAX running through north and south. Most notable on the stretch south of Rosa Parks before it opens up to 4 lanes. Conversely, Greeley is actually pretty smooth south of Rosa Parks, but it's not unusual to miss a cycle where the road tightens up and more drivers are trying to turn west towards Univ. Park.

And even if you're not sitting through cycles, if you're bypassing I-5 because of traffic onto Interstate/MLK, you're still accepting that it's going to take you 10-15 minutes to cover a stretch that would have taken 2-3 minutes if the interstate were moving at posted speed. So you're impacted, even if it's a concession you're willing to live with.

And the more I-5 is clogged up, the more cars shunt off I-5 onto those local roads creating more congestion for the local traffic. As North portland becomes more dense over time, frankly I think it's likely to get worse still.
No one is arguing that traffic doesn't back up during rush hour, and that much of the I-5 traffic is created by the commuters in Vancouver.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Simplifying traffic would make things better IMO.
Simplifying what? All you did was remove the 4 and the 0 from 405. You can use the 405 now for a bypass from the 84 interchange.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well I disagree with you about how bad traffic is here, I have seen much, much worse.
Probably in your home state of New Jersey, but Portland's traffic is still bad.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Then don't use the interstates if you don't want to sit in that traffic.
I already avoid the freeways when they're all gummed up. I'm just saying that maybe there's an answer to the gummed up freeways. There are two alternatives: 1) reduce the number of cars on the freeways (increase mass transit, make it easy to use, accessible, reliable, and fast), or 2) increase the capacity of the freeways (add lanes). I suppose the third alternative would be to do a little bit of both.

Also, I wish people wouldn't have a "Portland vs. suburbs" mentality because we are all in this together. It's the Portland urban equivalent of the Clackamas County anti-Portland attitude.

Last edited by jjpop; 09-11-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Also, I wish people wouldn't have a "Portland vs. suburbs" mentality because we are all in this together. It's the Portland urban equivalent of the Clackamas County anti-Portland attitude.
Agree. On the first part I think there are other alternatives - smooth out some of the roughspots (I-5 to I-84 interchange being one, but also the 84-5-405-26 transfer when crossing the city westbound), and look at adding other bypasses altogether.

On the east side it's a bit needless to force all the traffic inbound from the gorge to come all the way in to the airport before crossing the river; on the west side there's still the holy grail of a western bypass. In theory you could cut due north from Woodburn to Longview and keep a decent amount of through traffic from entering the core of the metro at all.

Quote:
No one is arguing that traffic doesn't back up during rush hour, and that much of the I-5 traffic is created by the commuters in Vancouver.
Your initial argument on this point was that the Vancouver traffic is Vancouver's problem. It very much has an impact south of the river, which you now seem to be acknowledging without acknowledging that you've pretty significantly changed your argument.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Probably in your home state of New Jersey, but Portland's traffic is still bad.
Ah cute, an inaccurate personal attack. New Jersey is no more my home state than Oregon is your home state. But I suggest staying know topic and not resorting to personal attacks, thank you.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:40 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Ah cute, an inaccurate personal attack. New Jersey is no more my home state than Oregon is your home state. But I suggest staying know topic and not resorting to personal attacks, thank you.
I'm not sure how being from New Jersey is an attack. Your username previously had a New Jersey residence on it. I was just saying, compared to your home area which is in the NYC metro area, I bet Portland traffic is mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland