U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:16 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,381,333 times

Advertisements

Joseph Rose: Portland area traffic jams returning to pre-recession madness | OregonLive.com
Rate this post positively

Old 09-11-2014, 11:23 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,351,060 times
"Green" city

Old 09-11-2014, 11:50 AM

46,038 posts, read 32,872,256 times
Traffic still isn't that bad, heck, it wasn't even that bad during pre-recession times.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,381,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Traffic still isn't that bad, heck, it wasn't even that bad during pre-recession times.
Not that bad!? Only if you measure it by NYC/LA/Beijing standards, but Portland is not in the same category as those cities. For its size, the traffic here is awful.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:17 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,799,413 times
I have noticed that traffic has gotten much worse since school started.
Over the summer, I would drive around Portland during the day and although traffic wasn't "light", it flowed.
Now, it seems like it's busy and congested for a good part of the day.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Not that bad!? Only if you measure it by NYC/LA/Beijing standards, but Portland is not in the same category as those cities. For its size, the traffic here is awful.
If it is back to pre-recession levels, then no it is not that bad because it wasn't that bad then. And when Portland is compared to other cities of similar size, the traffic here is much better than other similar metros.

I hate to break it to you but Portland is a big city and big cities do have traffic.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,454,421 times
Quote:
If it is back to pre-recession levels, then no it is not that bad because it wasn't that bad then. And when Portland is compared to other cities of similar size, the traffic here is much better than other similar metros.

I hate to break it to you but Portland is a big city and big cities do have traffic.
Portland is a medium sized American city. The traffic here seems manageable from 945-230 within Portland but driving out to Vancouver or Beaverton can be hairy if there is an accident. When I used to drive from San Francisco to Palo Alto in the early 90's the traffic flowed better than the Portland traffic of today. Back then the Bay Area was still a couple million people greater than Portland metro now so it is safe to say that Portland traffic is bad considering it is only a medium sized city.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Portland is a medium sized American city. The traffic here seems manageable from 945-230 within Portland but driving out to Vancouver or Beaverton can be hairy if there is an accident. When I used to drive from San Francisco to Palo Alto in the early 90's the traffic flowed better than the Portland traffic of today. Back then the Bay Area was still a couple million people greater than Portland metro now so it is safe to say that Portland traffic is bad considering it is only a medium sized city.
The traffic to Vancouver is Vancouver's problem. If I am not going to Vancouver, I take routes like MLK or Interstate to avoid I-5 North traffic. Beaverton traffic has more to do with the poor transportation options throughout that area and the West Hills limitations.

I can't comment on you experiences of traffic in the Bay Area in the 90s, but my experiences of traffic in Virginia in the 90s says Portland traffic is much less to deal with than what I have experienced with medium size cities.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:26 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,118,484 times
Quote:
The traffic to Vancouver is Vancouver's problem. If I am not going to Vancouver, I take routes like MLK or Interstate to avoid I-5 North traffic.
I used to live in NoPo and I would vehemently disagree with that.

MLK or Interstate are only useful to/from certain places, and frankly between the lights (particularly in 2 lane stretches where traffic backs up trying to turn left across the MAX line) and all the other cars trying to bypass I-5 even Interstate is slow going now. Sure, you might not be sitting in stop-go traffic on I-5 anymore, but it can still take 15 minutes to go 3 miles. [Greeley is a bit better]

Even where I live on the eastside now I'm often having to detour to get around backups on local roads for traffic trying to get on 205-north. There's no question the inefficiency of traffic bound for Vancouver has a significant impact south of the river.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM

846 posts, read 516,760 times
Quote:

This site claims that Portland is 13 for worst commutes. Do you have anything... anything at all to back up your claim? -- besides your personal observation and opinion?

Portland metro among nation's worst commutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland