Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM

47 posts, read 106,168 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been looking for a place to buy or build a home. We've found some properties (not homes) for sale that we really like in Oregon City. Because I haven't been able to find too many threads about Oregon City in the Oregon forum (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?) I thought I would start a thread to get some thoughts about the city from those who live there (or those who have some experience with it).

A little about us:

(1) Looking to buy or build a home in the $350,000 ballpark (would love to build a small home on at least an acre);

(2) Work in Tigard and downtown Portland;

(3) Prefer to be surrounded by trees, but within a short drive to a small downtown area (a couple restaurants and a comfortable pub);

(4) Looking for a place with some young families;

(5) Looking for a good school (public or private);

(6) We are liberal, but get along with all types as long as they are kind and reasonable.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Right now buildable are a premium, home builders are tying them up like crazy. All I can suggest is that you search on realtor websites and see what surfaces.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
I like Oregon City, but in your shoes I'd probably look for something between your two commute points. Oregon City is more affordable in no small part because the commute downtown is generally harder (and likely more mileage/cost).

You have a higher than average budget for housing, so I think there's at least some chance you could afford something more in line with your commutes (even Tualatin) that still meets most of your other requirements than OC will.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:24 AM

34 posts, read 57,264 times
I was born in oregon city and I was there every summer. When I was younger I always new I was in oregon city when I could smell the paper factory (It was a place that maybe made paper or printed it). All I know is the place made the surrounding area smell funny. I think it's gone now though. Haha. Oregon city is great. Beautiful homes.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,549 times
i went to high school in oregon city and lived there for a while. i love that city

Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
The paper factory is no longer active.

What specific thoughts are you looking for regarding Oregon City?

It looks like you have already researched.

Ill just say this, the majority of my friends live in Oregon City. Many moved out from Portland to Oregon City. I moved from North Portland to Milwaukie.

(1)I don't know what you mean by small house. That means many things to many people. A 3/2 1500 sqft? A 4/2 2000 sq ft? A 5/ 2.5 with 2500-3000 sq ft? A 3/1 1200 sq ft?

I have had 2 friends buy homes in OC in the past year. One bought a 3/2 1800 sq ft ranch in a cookie cutter division for $260k and the other bought an older 5/2 2400 sq ft with 1/4 acre for $300k. $350k for a buildable lot is going to stretch it and 1 acre of just land in that price range is hard to find. Let alone one close to OC. I saw 1 acre parcels in mulino for close to $200k (just for the land). Many of the buildible 8,000 sq ft lots are going for 100k anywhere within 40 miles of Portland.

You are right to think OC is your cheapest option. Personally, I would not go through the pain of having a 250k home built on a 100k plot of land with today's construction methods. The only way I would build a home is if it were custom built with quality in mind from a good builder who would charge something like $500k for high end guts. The poor build quality of homes these days is seriously appaling unless you pay for a good custom home builder.

Personally, I say find a home that's slightly older in an established neighborhood in Oregon City. You can get a heck of a house for 350k on the outskirts Oregon City and probably with a little land. Look out by South End Road and off of Beavercreek/Holly/Redland Rd.

(2) You give no fram of reference as for what you want your commute to be like. If you are not bothered by 30-45 minute commutes Oregon City is fine. For the record 1 friend in OC (lives off of south end rd) works in Hillsboro and his wife works downtown, and the other lives right by grocery outlet on Mollala Av. And they have a stunning view of all of the mountains, I mean stunning for a 260k house. It's a veiw you would only expect in Happy Valley and the West Hills. anyway they commute to Gresham and Aloha every morning. They have all had up to 1 hr commutes. But if your frame of refrence is Cali then it you'll probably laugh at our traffic.

(3) Trees....That's everywhere, just look at google earth or maps.

There are tons of little downtown areas that fit the bill. OC is nice but it is split into 2 parts with a massive steep hill in between. West Linn is meh and Tigard is meh in my opinion too, on that side the best little downtown area is Lake Oswego or Multnomah Village ($350k may be a stretch though).

(4/5) Oregon City is a good place for families. Schools are good. There are a lot of nice big parks like Chapin, Hillendale, Waterboard, Rivercrest, Singer Creek. Oregon City is very family oriented. Do some internet research for specific school performance, but I remember Oregon City being high on the list.

(6) Oregon City is "conservative" but its still pretty "liberal." I put those in quotes because I think both have lost their meaning. Very few Oregonianss are far right or far left. The majority of members that go to my church still have very liberal tendencies. Subarus, dogs, healthy eating, eco friendly, all about nature, tattoos, most are non political, most have gay friends. When people say that Clackamas county is redneck and conservative, I'd like them to visit Alabama and then tell me how conservative Clackamas County is. You would find most people in Clackamas county reasonable.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:28 PM

846 posts, read 609,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
The paper factory is no longer active.

What specific thoughts are you looking for regarding Oregon City?

It looks like you have already researched.

Ill just say this, the majority of my friends live in Oregon City. Many moved out from Portland to Oregon City. I moved from North Portland to Milwaukie.

(1)I don't know what you mean by small house. That means many things to many people. A 3/2 1500 sqft? A 4/2 2000 sq ft? A 5/ 2.5 with 2500-3000 sq ft? A 3/1 1200 sq ft?

I have had 2 friends buy homes in OC in the past year. One bought a 3/2 1800 sq ft ranch in a cookie cutter division for $260k and the other bought an older 5/2 2400 sq ft with 1/4 acre for $300k. $350k for a buildable lot is going to stretch it and 1 acre of just land in that price range is hard to find. Let alone one close to OC. I saw 1 acre parcels in mulino for close to $200k (just for the land). Many of the buildible 8,000 sq ft lots are going for 100k anywhere within 40 miles of Portland.

You are right to think OC is your cheapest option. Personally, I would not go through the pain of having a 250k home built on a 100k plot of land with today's construction methods. The only way I would build a home is if it were custom built with quality in mind from a good builder who would charge something like $500k for high end guts. The poor build quality of homes these days is seriously appaling unless you pay for a good custom home builder.

Personally, I say find a home that's slightly older in an established neighborhood in Oregon City. You can get a heck of a house for 350k on the outskirts Oregon City and probably with a little land. Look out by South End Road and off of Beavercreek/Holly/Redland Rd.

(2) You give no fram of reference as for what you want your commute to be like. If you are not bothered by 30-45 minute commutes Oregon City is fine. For the record 1 friend in OC (lives off of south end rd) works in Hillsboro and his wife works downtown, and the other lives right by grocery outlet on Mollala Av. And they have a stunning view of all of the mountains, I mean stunning for a 260k house. It's a veiw you would only expect in Happy Valley and the West Hills. anyway they commute to Gresham and Aloha every morning. They have all had up to 1 hr commutes. But if your frame of refrence is Cali then it you'll probably laugh at our traffic.

(3) Trees....That's everywhere, just look at google earth or maps.

There are tons of little downtown areas that fit the bill. OC is nice but it is split into 2 parts with a massive steep hill in between. West Linn is meh and Tigard is meh in my opinion too, on that side the best little downtown area is Lake Oswego or Multnomah Village ($350k may be a stretch though).

(4/5) Oregon City is a good place for families. Schools are good. There are a lot of nice big parks like Chapin, Hillendale, Waterboard, Rivercrest, Singer Creek. Oregon City is very family oriented. Do some internet research for specific school performance, but I remember Oregon City being high on the list.

(6) Oregon City is "conservative" but its still pretty "liberal." I put those in quotes because I think both have lost their meaning. Very few Oregonianss are far right or far left. The majority of members that go to my church still have very liberal tendencies. Subarus, dogs, healthy eating, eco friendly, all about nature, tattoos, most are non political, most have gay friends. When people say that Clackamas county is redneck and conservative, I'd like them to visit Alabama and then tell me how conservative Clackamas County is. You would find most people in Clackamas county reasonable.

I bet a few folks would not only disagree with your (6) point but also find it degrading, incorrect, and offensive. I suspect you may not be as forthright if you were face to face with a guy from Alabama.

btw. I wasn't offended but I do think it is incorrect..

Old 10-10-2014, 06:25 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
Quote:
I bet a few folks would not only disagree with your (6) point but also find it degrading, incorrect, and offensive. I suspect you may not be as forthright if you were face to face with a guy from Alabama.
I guess I will find out.

Quote:
I suspect you may not be as forthright if you were face to face with a guy from Alabama.
wrong.

I used to talk smack much much worse in Montgomery at OTS to life long Alabamans. Alabama is not extremely conservative? Much more conservative than anywhere in Oregon? I reck'n I din't go to hi falutin' Huntsvul whur all dem rocket scietusts are.

If Top Gear would have came to rural Oregon I highly doubt they would have got the gold footage they got. Alabama showed how "conservative" it was in front the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcJ-0bAHB4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland