Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 04:22 PM

27 posts, read 45,131 times

Advertisements

(Cross-posted this in the Salem board)

My husband has had some job offers (one in Salem, and one in Wilsonville) but we are wanting to get some more information about the Wilsonville and Portland areas before going any further.

-We have kids ranging from toddler all the way to high school, so my main concern is the quality of schools, and if there are a lot of activities to do with kids.

-We are pretty conservative and I have read that Oregon in general is probably a lot more the opposite. Is this true? I don't mind that, as long as there are some other people who we could fit in with. Basically I don't wanna be constantly having to defend our beliefs, nor do I want my kids to.

-Are there certain neighborhoods/areas of town that are more family friendly? Currently we live in a neighborhood where we know all the neighbors, have block parties and that kind of stuff.

-Are there a lot of places to get outdoors and hike, fish, etc? One of the things I really hate about Texas is the weather is awful...so hot and humid that we rarely get to enjoy the outdoors.

- As far as mortgage/rent goes...we need to stay below $1900 a month..and need a 4 bedroom home. Is that possible?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 05:25 PM

53 posts, read 67,248 times
Outside of Portland the politics are a lot less one-sided. Wilsonville or the burbs of Salem would be a good fit, definitely more of a conservative constituency in those areas, and the great outdoor recreation is always nearby. Detroit Lake is an absolutely beautiful nearby recreational area for boating and fishing.

Finding something in that price range is not going to happen anywhere in Portland, where 2-bed apts cost that much, but rent for 4-bed houses in Wilsonville start around $2000. If you buy you can definitely do better on price, but not being familiar with the area I wouldn't advise jumping in to a mortgage. Salem area is much more affordable than Wilsonville, which is the southernmost suburb of PDX metro so it's affected by the larger market.

I know Wilsonville SD has a good reputation, and Sprague HS and its feeders in Salem are among the highest-rated in the state. The quality of public schools is definitely one benefit of our state's liberal tinge.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I found exactly one 4-bedroom house under $1900 in Wilsonville, two around Salem. 4-bedroom homes are rare as hen's teeth.

The easy way not to feel the need to defend your beliefs is not to discuss them with others. If someone expounds on theirs don't respond or say something neutral that acknowledges that you heard what they had to day but choose not to discuss (religion, politics, whatever).

Here family social life is centered around kids sports, birthday parties, school activities and the like. Each neighborhood is different but in my experience block parties are annual events.

I know nothing of either Salem or Wilsonville schools.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Agree on the politics - the stretch of road between Salem and Wilsonville (Salem-Keizer-Woodburn-Wilsonville) is, pardon the repetition, middle of the road to moderately conservative.

On your budget, that is a tall order for renting, though in both markets (particularly Salem) you could find a 4BR for sale with a lower monthly payment than that. You'd be more likely to find a 4BR for rent in your range in Woodburn or Keizer, but you'd want to look closely at the schools.

Edit - and anywhere in the valley you're a fairly short drive from outdoorsy things.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,303 times
As someone who made the opposite move...the SW burbs are much more moderate than the "Portlandia" stereotype that you hear about. For the most part, people aren't in your face about political leanings in that area unless you fish for it.

I don't know where you're moving from, but if you're familiar with the Houston area, there are no "ghetto" third/fifth wards or Alief/Fondren SW type neighborhoods. Some parts of MLK and Killingsworth can be a little sketchy as well as some parts of Gresham but these do not even compare to what you'll find in Houston and South Dallas.

Your budget may be a little tight, but if you shop around and are patient you may be in luck. Obviously it's helpful if you have a 20% downpayment ready and 6 months worth of savings in cash post-moving expenses.

Outdoor activities are plentiful in Oregon compared to here but you MUST LEARN to live with the rain, or you'll be sheltered out of the activities for a good part of the year. Gortex clothes and boots will be your friend. Also be prepared for the "doom and gloom" climate change. You really have to live through months on end of barely any sun-light and having night come between 4:30 - 5:30 to know how you handle it. I grew up there so I was fine...my wife who is from here (Corpus Christi) could absolutely not stand it.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM

27 posts, read 45,131 times
Thank you all for the feedback!

The info about the housing market is an eye opener...my husband's current job earns more money than this new one, and our mortage is only $1600. So making a little less, but higher house prices would be a bit difficult.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:55 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCHutch View Post
Thank you all for the feedback!

The info about the housing market is an eye opener...my husband's current job earns more money than this new one, and our mortage is only $1600. So making a little less, but higher house prices would be a bit difficult.
This reality is one of the most common complaints about Pdx as a metro, and the main think that would prompt me (personally) to leave. If you make 100k+ as a household you can live very comfortably here, but around the median it can be a challenge.

COL is high compared to what people make because of the perceived value added of all the amenities - some of which are free (trails, trees) and some of which are not (craft beers).

Old 09-29-2014, 04:58 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If his current position pays more than what you are offered in Oregon then why move? I wouldn't unless there was an important reason to come to the Willamette Valley. It is beautiful here but you can't eat beauty.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times
Having grown up near Houston (Kingwood) and lived in several Texas cities, I concur with all these folks who have responded. It really is more expensive to live here, by quite a bit once you're into your utilities (water is not cheap) and groceries (about double HEB prices). If you have a nice chunk of savings that you are willing to dip into, and you think you might be ok with short, dark, rainy winter (and some spring and fall) days, then living here is a beautiful experience. Defending your beliefs should be the least of your worries. Having lived in Tennessee as well, it's still hard for me to believe how LITTLE people talk about politics and religion here. Maybe online, or on tv, or asking for your signature on a petition, but at work, no. Your neighbors, no. It's just not considered polite. Family-friendly shouldn't be a problem to find, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland