Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times

Advertisements

Seems daunting to me. Here is what I found on the Oregon State website: Oregon Secretary of State Archives Division

Then go down to: 918-282-0240

If you are still in the military perhaps you can obtain a certification of the various duties under (2).

Apprentices are paid but usually the apprenticeship needs to be certified by a recognized organization. Area 1 Inside Electrical JATC It looks like applications close in early November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Well here I come again, as an engineer I dabble in a lot of things and talk to a lot of people in similar industries.

This is the real reason the trades are and STEM related jobs are dying or are unattractive. They just aren't attractive because of all the red tape. 2-6 years of school (that is ****ing hard, I might add), 2-4 years of aprenticeship (and if your mentor and you don't get along..well..good luck), ridiculous licencing stadards that are cost prohibitive, testing dates deadlines and a test that is ridiculous as well. Then once you get there you have to either be bonded and insured for construction or comm/residential repair. You can work like a dog and make a pittance. Then if you want to skip all that and be an Industrial Electrician you can be insured and bonded by the company but the you have to deal with the IBEW mafia.

My advice, CNC Machining... Hear me out. No red tape. High starting wage, $16/hr minimum. Easy job, if you have half a brain. Climate controlled, indoors, highly technical and challeging but not ridiculous (depends on the shop.)

As an engineer I got bumped up to the high $70s for "salary" + performance bonuses and other fringe benefits (no employer Health insurance though). The machinists get about $40-50k a year @ $20/hr but then they work OT at time and a half and most are really getting somewhere around $62-70k/yr. They only went to school for 2 years they had to only pass high school algerbra and 4-10 years later are making similar to someone who has a BSME with 3 years experience. The real kicker is they work the same amount I do. I work 4 10s/week (shop hours) sometimes 5 10's (if we are super busy) so 40-50 hours per week (some times more) I get regular calculated wage over normal salary for "OT" (it doesn't count as OT for me) but they get time and a half for any hours over 40.

Entry level engineers are a dime a dozen and unless you are a PE, which requires the same red tape but is even more difficult, you wont command 6 figure salaries anywhere you go. I recently found out my boss a 15 yr+ P.E. M.E. makes just slightly more than I do. So it seems to go more by what you do for the company than what education you get. The biggest kick in the pants is that you don't even need a B.S.x.E. in Oregon to earn the P.E. title.

Many machinists with high level programing CAD/CAM skills are better than any engineer I have ever met.

Remember the ch33 gi bill is pretty good. If you do everything right you can clear by my calculation...

$5600 in Pell Grants tax free. 1 per quarter $1910 max per quarter. Vets also qualify for the FEOEG which is another quarter of pell grant so another $1910. So $7500/year tax free. Don't claim it on Taxes.

Each quarter is about $1200 the first moth $1620 the second month and $1000 the 3rd month.
so $3820 per quarter. that varies. between $2300-3820 per quarter in BAH. So realistically about $14,000 tax free.

VA work study is min wage $9.10/hr @ 250 hours per quarter generally. So $2275 X 4 = $9100/y

so 7500+9100+14000+1k book stipend so you get $32k/yr tax free or about $2600 mo net. If you can't get by on that your doing something wrong. You should be able to do FT school, 25 hrs a week at the VA and pocket $500-1000 per month while living frugally but comfortable. That's another $25k in your nest egg when you get out. This is an amazing opportuity, a golden ticket, and some vets really mess it up and squander it. Free education and $25k in the bank...when most students end up with a mountain of debt and work fast food to put themsleves through college. Get on that VA work study fast it's completely flexible and work someplace that has multiple shifts. Towards the end of you schooling look for an apprenticeship.

This isn't directed at you, but one more thing that makes my blood boil vets who get bad grades consistently and complain about the already EXTREMELY generous gift that has been awarded. Let's be honest military service is not a selfless sacrifice. Today's vets get an amazing gift for something they were likely going to do anyway. Some of the young vets I talk to talk like to make people who don't know anything about the military think they saved the world single handedly, and for that should be handed every thing they want. I see DD214s on a regular basis and all I will say is I have met very few people with extraordinary careers. "But they can die in the line of duty"... So can firemen, line men, oil rig workers, cab drivers, construction workers.. I always thank the vets that come see me for their service but some leave me shaking my head.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 15,272 times
Ugh! Internet has gone down twice after I haven't written novels and cookies has failed me. So I'm just gonna ask shorts here..

Do the excess funds the college doesn't use (since 9/11 covers pretty much everything) go straight to the student? I've always been unsure about this. What's a FEOEG?

I've been interested in the work study program, however I have heard stories such as this:
'I can't afford to live like this': VA weeks, months late paying student veterans - U.S. News

It's an older article but I've still heard similar stories. What's your take and experience with vets using this program?

I would love to keep my nice nest egg as well and stay ahead of the game. In all reality though it's insurance so I don't get screwed through VA being slow or similar instances. If at all possible would love to keep the pretty egg.

Thanks again,

Ian

Old 09-25-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Seems daunting to me. Here is what I found on the Oregon State website: Oregon Secretary of State Archives Division

Then go down to: 918-282-0240

If you are still in the military perhaps you can obtain a certification of the various duties under (2).

Apprentices are paid but usually the apprenticeship needs to be certified by a recognized organization. Area 1 Inside Electrical JATC It looks like applications close in early November.
Thanks Nell, I actually am probably still considering trying to get an LME. It will make me more marketable as an individual, though I'm not sure on the military training as I've heard of 15 year vet technicians that were completely denied because of their strict adherence to the apprenticeship/passing examination policy.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I don't know if any of these are of interest to you, but the Port of Seattle is currently hiring 3 people for their Veteran's Fellowship program, basically a 6 month internship paid with benefits. Might help you get some additional experience and have a chance to check out the area. It's only a 3 hour drive to visit Portland on a weekend from here.

http://www.portseattle.org/Jobs/Stud.../Veterans.aspx

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/searchresults.aspx?SID=^u7rR66fWtlHzUK8FChQaYEvpfk RlguS1_slp_rhc_GZiGmGx5KQpu_slp_rhc_oFoR32alNJLO0E AYCY

Old 09-26-2014, 12:01 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
sorry.....FSEOG https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/gran...larships/fseog

Work Study. Some people have no problem. Some people have a few problems. It has gotten better from all accounts.

That Metcalf guy is a bit of a prima donna in my opinion.

Well its a free job, that is flexible! Here in oregon 50 hours is worth 455 dollars $9.10X50 and most contracts are 250 hrs/quarter. 100 hrs per month. so $910 a month. With a 22-24% income tax that is the equivalent of $12/hr on a 40 hr work week in a civilian job. One vet worked at fed ex and was getting $272-300 ($600/mo) every 2 weeks for 20 hours a week of back breaking work.

The Work Study program was designed to be only for 25 hours a week as flexible supplemental income, but people put in more hours than that a week because it's open ended. Also, there are rules to follow and some of the vets don't follow them (like you can only claim 8 hours per day and no more than 40hrs in any 7 day period. From what I understand the issue stems from colleges all being on the same schedule. During the quarter students work at their own pace so the time cards get submitted slowly but then once the quarter ends everyone turns in the last time card all at once and it overwhelms an already understaffed program. One vet had a good idea. He gets the hours done early and turns in the final time card in 2 weeks before the quarter. Truth is the VA doesn't actually want the work studies. The VA has had massive shake ups recently and now that everyone has had a fire lit under their ass things are getting better. Some guys also told me that the contracts are the real problem, but once again, getting the hours done early and submitting the contract early helps. Just like with anything else, read in depth, follow the directions to a T, don't procrastinate. And make sure your attendance forms are handed in ASAP. Keep in touch with the vet office and confirm the receipt of every document.

Limited Maint. Electrician is still possible, anything is possible if you are driven and compelled.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Andy: In my first reply, I just assumed the article focus was a bit of a princess. Not being able to live off college money means you can only go back to the millitary..

Anyway, I figured people were just being lazy or didn't follow directions. Just wanted to hear from someone who has experience with vets.

I have always kind of been interested in the LME as I feel it makes you more marketable, especially with how strict government has been getting (I'm assuming to the benefit of the person having the repairs done).

Thanks again for all the help.

Andy, I know you're not a UE expert, but how do you think filling in my current state will affect receiving in Oregon? I would like to earn it while I'm waiting for residency.. If not I'll be looking for a part time I suppose. I feel like looking for a good deal on a local apt., might be harder to attain by trying to bargain with available funds instead of income proof.

Thanks again

Hemlock: thanks a lot for the info, it's definitely something I'll keep in my tool belt. Looks interesting as well.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:03 PM

245 posts, read 304,191 times
there are ways to "rig" the income problem, man. The VA allows 2 or more vets to pool their homeloans to buy a place, too. :-)

Old 10-05-2014, 04:05 PM

245 posts, read 304,191 times
are you married? cause there IS a (pretty handy) way to "marry money". It amounts to 180k cash free, spread out over 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland