Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,514 times

Advertisements

I watched it's construction with enthusiastic awe as I crossed the Marquam Bridge everyday on my commute to work. For quite a while, I actually thought the cables extending from the piers were just a temporary necessity for its construction. Alas, I was ultimately dismayed to learn the cables were actually the foundation of the cable-stayed bridge.

The first bridge built over the Willamette in over 30 years and still doesn't come close to the elegance of the Fremont. The problem isn't with the chosen construction of a cable-stayed bridge (which Tri-Mess insisted upon in order to reduce costs). Cable-stayed bridges can be architecturally beautiful.

As an example, take the Russky Bridge in Russia, even adorned with our nations colors:

Such class! Bravo, Russia!

Enter Portland 2014, and what we are bestowed upon:

Maybe they intended to keep Portland weird? I know there's nothing that can be done about it now, but I felt the need to vent and was wondering if others shared my perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,102 times
its sad it might fall in a earthquake soon

Old 09-26-2014, 09:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
I actually like what they built. It wasn't my first choice, I was rooting for the A frame design, but the bridge turned out good.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:23 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Apparently the Russians build nice bridges between annexing and invading parts of Ukraine...

Old 09-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
First, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the St. Johns bridge is the most beautiful bridge in Portland, by far.
Tilicum bridge is second, and quite pretty as well, much better looking (and on more humane scale) than the Fremont Bridge, or any other existing bridge.

The Russky Bridge is very similar in looks to Tilicum, only much larger. You can't say that one is pretty, and the other ugly.

But what a strange example!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggidoyo View Post
As an example, take the Russky Bridge in Russia, even adorned with our nations colors:
So you are a Russian living in Portland?
Flag of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Such class! Bravo, Russia!
That "class" is the Russian equivalent of the infamous Alaskan Bridge to Nowhere.
Russky Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The difference is that in the US sanity prevailed and Bridge to Nowhere was cancelled.
Tsar Putin imperial lunacy prevailed, and the 'russky' taxpayer spend $1B for a bridge to an island with 5K people and no importance whatsoever.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:57 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Apparently the Russians build nice bridges between annexing and invading parts of Ukraine...
.......…..while the United States builds not as nice bridges while liberating and winning the hearts and minds of the oppressed people of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmidb92Hi-c

Old 09-27-2014, 12:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
I think the bridge is kinda ugly! but that's my opinion.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
.......…..while the United States builds not as nice bridges while liberating and winning the hearts and minds of the oppressed people of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmidb92Hi-c
Don't look at me...I protested against that invasion/war/occupation and got called an unpatriotic traitor who hated freedom for my efforts. Doesn't excuse what Putin does, despite their fancy and very attractive bridges.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:32 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggidoyo View Post

Enter Portland 2014, and what we are bestowed upon:

Maybe they intended to keep Portland weird? I know there's nothing that can be done about it now, but I felt the need to vent and was wondering if others shared my perspective.
You can't really tell how it's going to look when complete from this picture.

The towers aren't topped off, scaffolding and cranes are all over the place, stuff is on the deck, etc.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:43 PM

210 posts, read 251,698 times
I think it's a pretty cool bridge, but it does seem kind out of place with our other bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland