Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:14 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, those types of Oregonians are too polite to actually discuss......basically anything at all.

After 16 years here, I just gave up on talking to a lot of people here about anything of substance, but that's why I love this state, it's like everyone took a Xanax. You are allowed to talk about the weather or sports(most of the time), but that's about it. Mostly just weather though. Don't ever discuss politics or your job or places you've been or lived that aren't Oregon--you're liable to upset someone. Don't be too sarcastic because you're liable to confuse someone. Don't ask about why you can't pump your own gas, that's practically blasphemy.
I get pulled into political discussions all the time because most Portlanders don't have friends who are right-of-center. They'll say "what do you think of this" and "what do you think of that." The times I actually offend the most people are when I talk about the Oregon Ducks which I do not like at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 05:17 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,601,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
In my experience quite a few people in Oregon are like that "mmm hmmm" description. At the bar in Portland people are talking about a whole bunch of insane sounding stuff, though. Conspiracy theories, their dog is psychic, paleo diet, gonna start a leather tanning business, Californians suck, etc. Thirdly I know a lot of east coasters who moved to Portland to be a snowboard/skateboard bro and they always seem like they can hold a normal conversation and are happy to be there.
Now that you mention it, all the Art Bell fans I know in Portland are native Oregonians. I'd never heard of him before moving here, and I haven't met any other transplants who listen.

Admittedly, the number of people I know who talk about Art Bell at all is a pretty small sample size.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,430,496 times
I really miss Art Bell. That man was a master at what he did.

Give a listen to Clyde Lewis, evenings on 101.1 KXL-FM in Portland.
Puts Mr. Noory and the new non-Art Bell Coast to Coast to shame.

The plus is, he broadcasts his show from Portland, sometimes from a bar called the Rialto, located downtown.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 PM

846 posts, read 607,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I get pulled into political discussions all the time because most Portlanders don't have friends who are right-of-center. They'll say "what do you think of this" and "what do you think of that." The times I actually offend the most people are when I talk about the Oregon Ducks which I do not like at all.
Oregon Duckies are fun to watch. So, get on board. There is room on the wagon.

As for political discussion, I always tell folks I never vote for a candidate. Rather I always vote against an ideology.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,477,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
"Portlanders" is sort of a broad concept since these days people in Portland might be born here though there's a good chance they weren't. Inner Portland is a different deal to begin with since it skews a certain way that isn't the same as just a little further out and much different than the rest of the state. There's all kind of crazies from all over the place in Portland itself.

It's hard to pigeonhole a whole group of people that happened to be born on another side of a state border--and I'll say that I've met all types of people born in Oregon(just as anywhere else). But there are certain traits that dominate in much of the state among a lot of people here(not all though). They're very conflict avoidant, and they don't like to be challenged or get into debates--but people will generally be pleasant if you approach them right and don't overstep their comfort zone(and you don't want to be a wise-ass). It's like the reverse opposite of people from Boston where people might argue or break your balls right off the bat but they have fun with it(and don't take it as seriously)... I've just kind of adapted over the years, though I suppose that I adapted well because I'm pretty quiet and polite to begin with(unless I'm drinking). And I think that many people who move to Oregon and settle down sort of adapt to it as well.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-28-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM

6,817 posts, read 9,023,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Exaggeration as usual. No sun at all for six months, huh?
It was exaggeration for effect. Look, I loved my time in Oregon but it's not for everyone.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,176,255 times
Portland like Seattle, is just plain too expensive, and home prices are outrageous, just like its big brother Seattle, imo...otherwise I would move there....out to the countryside...

Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,430,496 times
This is the exact opposite of what people were saying about Portland 10 or so years ago........

I wonder what the next "cool, inexpensive, and bohemian" west coast city will be?

Maybe Aberdeen/Hoquiam????

Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
This is the exact opposite of what people were saying about Portland 10 or so years ago........

I wonder what the next "cool, inexpensive, and bohemian" west coast city will be?

Even though it's on the east coast, I'm afraid the next city might be my Richmond.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:27 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,477,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Tacoma. It's got a nice old downtown and location, but still seems pretty quiet in the core, though that's changing already. There's not many sizable cities left though that are cheaper on the West Coast though until you hit places like Fresno or Stockton(and few people want to move to those places). Then there's further inland places like Spokane or Boise in the Northwest that are more affordable.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-29-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland