Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,077 times

Advertisements

Portland's 'weirdness' is something I'm familiar with. You guys know all about it, I'm sure; the old-fashioned vintage style housing, the fairly prominent weed culture, and the eclectic hodgepodge of hipster type people and fashion. It's not necessarily an issue, but while I myself fit into all this mess well, my Mother is a bit of a different breed, and while she doesn't mind visiting it, we both fear whether or not she will feel like she would be able to find anywhere that feels more... her, y'know?

She has a long history as both a mother and a successful businesswoman. She's athletic, stylish, classy, and likes to dress up and look like a professional. She feels like she would get along nicely with the goofiness in Portland but as far as her neighborhood, she doesn't want a drastic change from the wholesome, family type environment we've had in Colorado and Arizona, and as a single woman, she's concerned about being able to find a guy here that's anything like her.

We're aiming for a small house, and she's always thrived in more modern-looking housing, so while we would prefer a townhome, bungalow or cottage, the quality and condition of housing is important (none of the commonly dilapidated homes, or old 'fixer-uppers', please!)

Are there areas in or around Portland that are a bit less condensed with Portland's 'weird' stereotypes? Is the weirdness really as noticeable as people and the TV show Portlandia (apparently only slightly dramaticized, according to a friend-of-a-friend I know in Portland) make it out to be? Would a woman like her have any luck finding a gentlemanly/classy dude, or are people like that too few and far between here to bother trying? We've also given some consideration to Beaverton and Gresham, but don't really know enough about either to be serious yet. Where could we begin to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
I don't think Portland is anymore weird than any place else in Oregon. Just more condensed and populated. Actually some of the less populated get even weirder.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
It's not *THAT* weird when comparing to other town's "hip" centers. Houston is the complete polar opposite of PDX, however we have the montrose/kirby area which you could mistake for hawthorne and powell if it wasn't for the heat.

Whatever you do, do not buy fully in to the Portlandia stereotype. Portland is unique, has a strong hipster culture and is very left...but it's not nearly as crazy as people make it out to be.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:47 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
The only red flag I read in your description of your mother is that she likes to dress up and look like a professional. Seeing as you've lived in Arizona and Colorado, I'm sure you're more used to everyone dressing casual than someone from New England would be but I think Portland takes it to another level.

I go to the theater fairly regularly. If I go directly from work, I'll be in my work clothes - slacks or chinos and a button down shirt. If I'm wearing that, I will often be the best dressed person in the theater. Even going to the symphony or opera, there will be at least half the audience in jeans.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Why is she moving to Portland at all? Will she be reliant on working, or is she retired, etc?

Away from a few hip neighborhoods (Pearl/Hawthorne/etc.) most of the city - and moreso the metro - is quite normal.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Well that is something one of my Ex's pointed out. Oregonians have no fashion sense, and dress like they were wearing everything they owned at once. None of it matching anything.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 AM

846 posts, read 609,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I don't think Portland is anymore weird than any place else in Oregon. Just more condensed and populated. Actually some of the less populated get even weirder.

Do you think people are confusing the word "weird" with pretentious?

Having tats, doing drugs, and having multiple body piercings is no longer considered weird but more of the norm.

pretentious

[ priˈtenCHəs ]

adjective

1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed:

Old 10-01-2014, 11:28 AM

62 posts, read 122,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
It's not *THAT* weird when comparing to other town's "hip" centers. Houston is the complete polar opposite of PDX, however we have the montrose/kirby area which you could mistake for hawthorne and powell if it wasn't for the heat.

Whatever you do, do not buy fully into the Portlandia stereotype. Portland is unique, has a strong hipster culture and is very left...but it's not nearly as crazy as people make it out to be.
This... when I was living in PDX it was kinda of a disappointment. Being from Houston when I moved to PDX for work it was kinda bland ( I was in PDX for 10yrs, back home in Houston now). Especially since Houston has always had a do your own thing vibe. ( I do not know when you moved to Houston, but Montrose used to be ALOT of fun before it was 'cleaned up')

The 'weirdness' in PDX comes off as kinda fake and forced, the term 'trying to hard' comes to mind. I lived in SE, Milwaukie( briefly) and Lake Oswego. I would say if you can afford it Lake Oswego is the way to go. Great group of folks there along with lots of community and social activities, in addition to being a very welcoming 'burb. SE was nice but my place was broken into several times and parking was always an issue.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Why is she moving to Portland at all? Will she be reliant on working, or is she retired, etc?

Away from a few hip neighborhoods (Pearl/Hawthorne/etc.) most of the city - and moreso the metro - is quite normal.
I read it as it being the o.p.'s desire to move. Mother is along for the ride. Your point is well taken in any case. I am wondering why either of them are attracted to PDX at all since they do not express any affinity for well known Portland intrinsics. Big red flag.

H

Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 AM

28 posts, read 31,450 times
If your mom is looking for areas of Portland that appear a little more safely conservative she might want to look for a home on the southwest side of town - anywhere between Portland and Beaverton. Depending on how much she wants to spend, there areas on the east side of Portland that she might like too, like Laurelhurst. In downtown Portland there are areas of Pearl District or Goose Hollow that are nice, but it's so filled with tourists it can be like living in "Disney Portland."

If walkability and public transport are considerations (especially as she ages), then it's worth noting that the southwest side of town is far less connected and has many more hills.

It would be a good idea to have a talk about what specific things she's looking for in a home, and specific things in a neighborhood, then get a real estate agent who can act as a buyers agent. He/she will be able to point you towards locations that will work.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland