Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:57 PM

615 posts, read 1,164,477 times

Advertisements

Looking for a decent commute to downtown Portland. Which area is best for a family with low crime, great schools, and pet friendly area's?
Looking to buy in the 400s range.
Which area has the most parks and trails. Any clean lake's near for dog's to swim?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 06:44 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,619,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
Looking for a decent commute to downtown Portland. Which area is best for a family with low crime, great schools, and pet friendly area's?
Looking to buy in the 400s range.
Which area has the most parks and trails. Any clean lake's near for dog's to swim?
Thank you.
Nada on Tigard, Beverton, traffic tie ups, crowed schools, sherwood, wilsonville more supportive of bonds, many ap courses, good luck

Old 12-31-2007, 03:59 AM
GB1

116 posts, read 426,862 times
Not to be cynical, but what Portland tends to think of as terrible public schools would be average in most other urban areas. There are a few dodgy public high schools, but overall it's safe and the education is fine, as long as parents are involved at home.

Rather than the Oregon 'burbs you mentioned - you might check out the 'burbs just across the river in Washington state - Vancouver and Camas. Washington state has no income tax, the properties tend to be larger for the money (big backyard = dog-friendly), the lakes and rivers are just as adjacent as they are in Portland, 3- and 4-bedroom houses are more commonplace, and it's a half-hour commute from downtown (depending on highway conditions). And the people who find Portland public schools to be Third World slums seem happier with Washington state schools.

In your price range, you should find some wonderful properties in 20-30-year old suburban neighborhoods for the price of smaller, squattier suburban McMansions in new developments. If your taste runs to ranch houses that might have had two or three previous owners, you should live quite comfortably in Vancouver.

I have no idea where you're moving from, but if it's a small Midwest town, you'll find the traffic an adjustment...from any other medium-sized city, you'll find it a breeze.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
Not to be cynical, but what Portland tends to think of as terrible public schools would be average in most other urban areas. There are a few dodgy public high schools, but overall it's safe and the education is fine, as long as parents are involved at home.

Rather than the Oregon 'burbs you mentioned - you might check out the 'burbs just across the river in Washington state - Vancouver and Camas. Washington state has no income tax, the properties tend to be larger for the money (big backyard = dog-friendly), the lakes and rivers are just as adjacent as they are in Portland, 3- and 4-bedroom houses are more commonplace, and it's a half-hour commute from downtown (depending on highway conditions). And the people who find Portland public schools to be Third World slums seem happier with Washington state schools.

In your price range, you should find some wonderful properties in 20-30-year old suburban neighborhoods for the price of smaller, squattier suburban McMansions in new developments. If your taste runs to ranch houses that might have had two or three previous owners, you should live quite comfortably in Vancouver.

I have no idea where you're moving from, but if it's a small Midwest town, you'll find the traffic an adjustment...from any other medium-sized city, you'll find it a breeze.
I agree, just stated it a little differently, also no state income tax in WA. Portland schools are facing continuous funding issues, closures and reoganization. Most of the suburban schools are new construction, with more out of state parents that know what passing a bound means, sorry if i hurt feelings on that one.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post

From Tacoma,Wa, just up north...
And thank you all for the good info...

Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 AM

16 posts, read 65,723 times
I would suggest West Linn...it fits everything you are looking for! We have the BEST schools, very, very low crime rate, and the commute to downtown Portland is easy. You just hop on Hwy 43 in West Linn and it is a straight shot thru Lake Oswego on into downtown. Homes in West Linn are more expensive than the other area's you mentioned but it is worth it to live in such a wonderful city.
I have a 1st grader in the WL school district and I am amazed at the parent involment at her school...I am really sad to leave this area but we are moving out of state and hope that we are able to find as nice of an area in Texas.
There are 2 great dog parks in the area and some great parks for the kids...one that has a great splash pad area is great in the summer.
We have our house listed right now in West Linn that is in one of the most premier neighborhoods in the upper $400,000 price range. You will definitly be able to find some very nice homes in West Linn in your price range and you are buying at a great time which helps you even more.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters2 View Post
I would suggest West Linn...it fits everything you are looking for! We have the BEST schools, very, very low crime rate, and the commute to downtown Portland is easy. You just hop on Hwy 43 in West Linn and it is a straight shot thru Lake Oswego on into downtown. Homes in West Linn are more expensive than the other area's you mentioned but it is worth it to live in such a wonderful city.
I have a 1st grader in the WL school district and I am amazed at the parent involment at her school...I am really sad to leave this area but we are moving out of state and hope that we are able to find as nice of an area in Texas.
There are 2 great dog parks in the area and some great parks for the kids...one that has a great splash pad area is great in the summer.
We have our house listed right now in West Linn that is in one of the most premier neighborhoods in the upper $400,000 price range. You will definitly be able to find some very nice homes in West Linn in your price range and you are buying at a great time which helps you even more.
Agree 100% same school district as wilsonville. sorry if i did not mention it in the post, and it is in the Suburbs, good luck

Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Thank you fosterS2 and seven of nine...
How long would it take to get to downtown from West Linn or Wilsonville?
Both citie's are with expensive home price's. Which one is a better city
to live. Fosters2 send me your MLS# of your home. Thank you.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
Thank you fosterS2 and seven of nine...
How long would it take to get to downtown from West Linn or Wilsonville?
Both citie's are with expensive home price's. Which one is a better city
to live. Fosters2 send me your MLS# of your home. Thank you.
Wilsonville has direct acess to I-5 and depenant on the time of day, 15 min to 45 during heavy traffic, can't attest to West Linn, there are some shortcuts so our other poster will have to send you that info, I would however lean to Wilsonville, there are older homes as well as new builds, you will have to ask for them, I am NOT a realtor, just former resident of 20 years, if the moderator will allow me, check with Eilite or Ludlow realty, good experiances with both. good luck! Wilsonville has alot of industry businness at the north wilsonville area, and really empties out after business hours, new schools, and new schools planned, used to be nothing but cows in the day I am happy and retired in Montana, have kids in the area so I am still up to date with the happenings.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 PM

What about these area's???
Damascus, Milwaukie, Happy Valley, and Clackamas.
Is it a easy commute to downtow from these area's.
How are the schools, and crime. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland