U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 13,632 times

Advertisements

In the past 12 years, my husband and I have lived in 4 states. We're originally from NYC - Brooklyn specifically. When we were young and adventurous, we left NYC and moved to California (outside of SF) Lovely place, but way too expensive. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision before the real responsibility of life kicked in. 6 months later, we were back home. NY was draining and didn't fit out personality, so once again we found ourselves all packed up a few years later. Besides, it's way too expensive for a home or to raise a family. We decided to move down to Florida, and had our first daughter there, but after 3 years we knew for certain it was not for us. Extremely boring and the slow pace of life was just not for us! Today we live in Georgia (about 45 mins north of Atlanta) Although we've been here for 4 years, I know we don't want to be here long term. I feel like we are complete outsiders in Georgia. A bit too much of the bible belt going on here, although some of the areas are beautiful.
Unfortunately, our indecisiveness in where we want to live has prevented any type of commitment purchasing a home - which I think we are now ready for. I am finally getting around to doing some research and have read some real nice things about Portland.

Ideally, we would like to find the following and are hoping for some feedback and recs of cities to check out.

- Family oriented, lively and neighborly areas with a community like feel
- Close to downtown areas (shops, restaurants, activities/fair for kids) Doesn't have to be a major city.
- Close to outdoor activities (and by close can be up to 45 mins) We love to bike ride and go on walks.
- Safe areas with great schools.
- Open mindedness towards outsiders.
- Down to earth and friendly areas.
- Affordable homes and cost of living

Ideally, being from NYC we would like something that is sort of lively and fun, while having a safe community like feel. Does it exist? And how's the weather? I don't mind the cold, but the extreme cold is not something I adore... but I know I can't be too picky!

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 08:33 PM

168 posts, read 189,597 times
Depends on your budget but my friend from NY moved his small family to Sellwood and seems to be content.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:50 AM

38 posts, read 45,044 times
We have lived in multiple cities across the U.S., Portland is our favorite so far. We just relocated to Portland over the summer so I can't speak to the winter temps but from my conversations with people I don't think it gets extremely cold. It will be wet and grey and cold for a long time but it won't be super cold like you would get in parts of the norther east coast and Midwest.

There are plenty of places in Portland that have what you described (lively, fun, safe) the only issue will be cost. It's not cheap here. Way more expensive than GA, but probably similar to NY.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:36 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,303,680 times
Housing will be cheaper than NYC, but be prepared that most jobs also will pay (a lot) less than NYC.

'Affordable' is relative, and while Portland ranks higher than L.A. on affordability, it's not affordable now in the way it was circa 2000.

Schools are mixed - there are some strong districts, some average and some that are not so much, largely but not entirely a function of how much housing in the district costs.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM

609 posts, read 760,962 times
You might really like Eugene, Oregon! It's a much smaller town than Portland but a cheaper and a great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: