Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,052,691 times

Advertisements

While I agree "sight unseen" renting is a gamble she has stated that this was not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,430 times
Thank you Andy for your candid response. We went through a property management company and besides this incident they have been pretty good. There where tons of pictures and we knew the area so we took a chance and we love where we live and the area except for the smoking. The owners of the townhome smoked here before moving out and renting their house. The property management company did a deep cleaning and changed out all the carpets. The vents have a brown hue and I know third hand smoking is not great even after a long time. I will never rent a home without seeing it but again this was a last minute move and we had to find something fast and when you are in the situation it is hard. The ad said only smoking outside due to the new Oregon law passed in 2010 stating that it must be disclosed as to where you can smoke in a rental. We are going to talk to the company and see what we can do and maybe just bite the bullet and move to another property or just stay put until next summer. I will just look online on how to clean better and get the smoke out of the house. It is bad but to an asthmatic I am super sensitive. Thank you for responding in a direct but nice way. I understand there might be a lot of posts like mine but I don't think people should be mean and judgmental. We all make mistakes in life and instead of judgement and being so critical maybe some support and em

Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
I smoked when I was young and dumb. I quit a long time ago but now I'm super sensitive to the smell. It would drive me nuts to live with the smell.
I used to smoke, I quit 2-3 years ago. It's strange how I am now sensetive to smoke.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 PM

Sorry... Typing on my phone as my computer crashed.

Empathy would service those in need better even if their judgement is flawed. Just talking in general.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM

My husband said he can barely smell it but if it is damp and you walk into the home you can smell it.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 PM

Thanks Christina for the product referral. Will try anything. Need to clean the cents and we bought special filters so we are doing everything possible. .

Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
"The ad said only smoking outside".... That implies the home was not smoked in. I would raise hell then with the PM company.... if you and your husband both agree the home is unlivable.

You said "My husband said he can barely smell it."

Now forgive me for being sexist, but what does your husband think about the whole thing?

My wife tends to overreact.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:15 PM

Husband said he can smell smoke but he doesn't like to make a fuss about anything. Too passive in my case. The pm company said they will clean the ducts and bring in an ozone machine. They are working with us. I like where we live so I really don't want to move if we don't have to.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,585 times
i would try an ozone machine. i rented one from ozone solutions (google it) for a smoker house we bought in 2009 and it worked great. you can't be in the house while it's on and need to air it out well afterwards.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Mossy,
While sorry about your situation, you do deserve feedback on the silly question as to whether there is a "law" to protect one from their own bad decisions.

There are way too many people who feel that gov't should actually be involved in this level of detail.

Gov't cannot solve all issues and indeed it usually creates more problems than it fixes. As we continue down a path of become a more leftist society, there will be those that will really start push back on this overwhelming desire of some to use gov't as a hammer to solve every perceived problem.

good luck with your home situation and I hope it works out for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland