Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,186 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are currently living in Los Angeles and looking to relocate soon. We are a mid-30s lesbian couple with infant twin boys and two small dogs. We are both special education teachers but not currently under contract so we can move soon. Living in Los Angeles is not ideal for us any longer as we want to find an area where we can eventually afford to buy a house and live in an area where it is liberal, green (lots of trees/parks), where we can find jobs, is safe for our children to go outside to play with other kids, and has good schools... Are we asking too much? I am from Los Angeles and my family lives here and in San Diego. My wife's family is in the Boston area. We have visited and loved Portland (Beaverton, Hood River, and Williamette Valley included). However we have no friends or family there. Any particular areas we should consider?

Since we have babies, finding jobs is absolutely essential and we would not move without securing at least one job... Any teachers out there who have dealt with credentialing from CA to OR please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,615,489 times
Depends on your budget and where you get jobs.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,890,570 times
After reading your post I suggest you stay in Portland, especially NE or NW, or North Portland. My son is in Spec Ed contained academic contained classroom in NE. I thought I heard through the grapevine that PPS is hiring Spec Ed teachers. Portland is pretty liberal. I agree with Oldintype, though since traffic can be nasty for a metro our size. We need more info about job since you don't want to drive from NE Portland to Hillsdale every morning.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 PM

And as teachers you know that "good" schools is dependent on a lot of various things, depending what you're looking for. Schools in North and many parts of NE are up and coming. Schools with the highest test scores are generally on the west side, and some parts of NE and SE. However, if I had to pick a neighborhood for you based on being a lesbian couple who want a liberal area with lots of kids to play with I'd really look at Concordia (or other NE/N neighborhoods). Schools don't have the best test scores compared to west side schools but there are lots of good things about the schools (and so many changes are happening test scores will keep going up). Faubion for example is being rebuilt and will be fantastic when it's done. They have a partnership with Concordia University students and will be very technologically advanced, etc.

http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/concordia.html

Old 10-24-2014, 11:02 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,600,250 times
I see pros and cons.

Pros: In SPED there's at least the prospect of finding two jobs in the same town. Culture is likely to be acceptable. Traffic will be less than L.A. and cost of buying a house is much lower.

Cons: Salaries will likely be a bit lower as well. Median teacher salaries are close to 50, but in my perception that's in no small part a function of a workforce that skews older.

Schools in the areas you'll likely be able to afford (unless you're cashing out a big chunk of L.A. equity) aren't really much to get excited about. Concordia may be 'up and coming' but a house there will run you at least $350k to north of 400 unless you're buying a foreclosure or distressed property, which is a good chunk of change in the local economy.

Eugene would be much more manageable (also a popular Lesbian town), and more affordable, and with generally better schools for your housing $, but landing two SPED jobs in 4J/Springfield might be a tall order.

Also, getting to Boston from Eugene basically becomes a full day of travel, especially with kids in tow, since you'll need to make at least one connection.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:49 PM

53 posts, read 67,072 times
You paint a pretty idyllic picture of Portland, just bear in mind no place is perfect and the same kinds of people and problems exist in similar proportions everywhere. Also, definitely have jobs lined up before you come, or come with enough savings for 6 months of no income.

Teaching market is super tough, but SPED is a good niche to be in and puts you ahead of a lot of general educators. Portland Public Schools isn't doing so hot, but the suburban districts all seem to be booming, I would recommend you look into suburban SD's and then let that direct your housing search. If you don't mind working in the burbs, the job prospects are more plentiful and better paying outside of Portland proper.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 PM

Every May or June PPS holds a teacher "fair" of sorts where you can interview for jobs and meet various people from schools. Two people I know got jobs with no issue from there and moved cross country to start. If you are EXPERIENCED you will find a job. If you're a new teacher the market is tougher. The constant doom and gloom about no teaching jobs is not true.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,377,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
After reading your post I suggest you stay in Portland, especially NE or NW, or North Portland. My son is in Spec Ed contained academic contained classroom in NE. I thought I heard through the grapevine that PPS is hiring Spec Ed teachers. Portland is pretty liberal. I agree with Oldintype, though since traffic can be nasty for a metro our size. We need more info about job since you don't want to drive from NE Portland to Hillsdale every morning.

There is a vacant school (closed for 5-10 years) in the Portsmouth (N) neighborhood that is being remodeled to accommodate preschool and special ed programs.

If you move to Portland and get good jobs you will be promoting gentrification and displacement.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,890,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is a vacant school (closed for 5-10 years) in the Portsmouth (N) neighborhood that is being remodeled to accommodate preschool and special ed programs.

If you move to Portland and get good jobs you will be promoting gentrification and displacement.
What is your point? I am confused. Is the school you mention already open? I suggested the neighborhoods I did because the OP is part of a lesbian couple and it is my humble opinion that she would feel more at home in those neighborhoods. I also suggest she not the a job that is across town in Hillsdale area. That would be a crappy commute, again, IMO. Good luck to the OP.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:17 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,504,064 times
A lot of N Portland parents don't have the $ to enroll their children in a quality preschool, if you want sticker shock look around. A quality preschool experience helps children to be successful in school. We want our students to be successful and finish 12 grades. Hopefully the District has identified areas where children struggle and will deploy services to change that.

Most special ed children are mainstreamed at some point. Not knowing the needs or the program I can't comment.

For the life of me I don't see how a quality education 'supports gentrification'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland