Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 15,055 times

Advertisements

Four years ago we were living in Eugene until I found out I was pregnant and moved back to California to be closer to my husbands family. We haven't been able to get moving back to Oregon out of our minds since we left since we enjoyed it so very much. After budgeting and starting a savings account we now have the chance to move back. This time we'd like to settle down in Portland area near our family and friends.

We have a two year old son so I'm interested in knowing of activities,education,etc child related.

Neighborhoods safe/affordable for young couples with children.

How Portland landlords feel about renting to a pitbull owner.

And/or any advice/info you think we should be aware of.
Thank you ahead of time for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 01:32 PM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
Just wanted to mention that pit bulls are a very sore topic here right now, as we have had an unfortunate string of attacks on people and pets.

Owner of pit bull that mangled arms of woman in SE Portland appeals to get dog back | OregonLive.com
Pit bull involved in Portland Streetcar attack is euthanized | OregonLive.com
Third recent pit bull attack in Portland area: 'the most brutal, vicious thing I've ever seen' | OregonLive.com
Pit bull attack almost killed my border collie: Here's what happened | OregonLive.com

This is not going to make things easy for anyone trying to rent with a pit bull.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Even with him being a service animal do you think we'll still have a hard time?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Keep in mind the fact that the Federal Housing Law does not apply to landlords who have few units and not at all if the landlord lives on one side of a duplex. Any claim that a pit bull is a service animal will be scrutinized very closely.

Will you have a problem renting with a pit bull, you bet you will.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Portland rents are pretty high in the Portland inner quadrants and homes for rent are scarce in the neighborhoods that fall in inner SE, inner NE, inner NW. I can only imagine your best bet is outer NE our outer SE Portland. Maybe Clackamas County. The recent pit bull attacks have made many of us with small dogs wary of walking around downtown or busy areas with our dogs... which is a shame. I personally do not want to see any more pit bulls in the busy areas of Portland as I would love to see Portland's tourism business thrive. We already have a bad reputation for aggressive panhandlers so bad press from pit bull attacks isn't going to help. I walk across the street every time I see a pit bull coming near me when I am out in The Pearl or downtown. I am sure tourists do the same. If you move here with a pit, please realize that many Portland residents have been a little freaked out by the recent attacks by pit bulls. I am not trying to offend but just giving my honest opinion.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:09 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
Beyond the fact that the dog is a pitbull, it is a larger dog and you will have difficulty renting with any larger dog. Rent is tight and landlords can be picky. They would rather rent to family without pets before family with pets.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 PM

So my 1 year old two foot tall emotional support animal will automatically be regarded as an aggressor? I completely understand peoples fears towards the bully breeds. All people seem to hear is the horror stories of violent attacks.

I will say living in California I haven't faced any trouble when renting an apartment with him. This is very saddening to hear we'll be on a endless hunt for a place accepting of his breed. He has a great temperament and is very friendly towards people and pets, my two year old son and him are inseparable. Thank you all for your input on the subject, it's better to know in advance than showing up uninformed.

Could anyone fill me in on children's activities Portland offers?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:45 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
There are numerous threads on the Portland forum regarding children's activities, indoor and outdoor, all over the metro. I am, too, from CA, however, the state is quite large and so the area you are coming from may have lenient policies in regards to renting to pit bulls. I am from S.F. and most of my family still lives in the Bay Area so I am pretty familiar with that area. Renting in desirable areas in the S.F. Bay Area is not easy with a pit bull and I am sure it's similar in desirable parts of L.A. Portland is more similar to those cities than parts of CA that are not as desirable and therefore, easy to get rentals with a bully breed. Portland is a very popular city and everyone seems to want to live in the same area so finding a house for rent with a backyard for a dog, any dog, is not easy or cheap. I understand that you love your dog and sounds like he serves a genuine purpose. I get that... since my kids have disabilities BUT I also understand the landlord's perspective. I seriously think you could find something in outer East Portland. Good luck to you in your search.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becomingsoil View Post
So my 1 year old two foot tall emotional support animal will automatically be regarded as an aggressor? I completely understand peoples fears towards the bully breeds. All people seem to hear is the horror stories of violent attacks.

I will say living in California I haven't faced any trouble when renting an apartment with him. This is very saddening to hear we'll be on a endless hunt for a place accepting of his breed. He has a great temperament and is very friendly towards people and pets, my two year old son and him are inseparable. Thank you all for your input on the subject, it's better to know in advance than showing up uninformed.

Could anyone fill me in on children's activities Portland offers?
What is an emotional support animal? Just curious?

Agreed you will have a difficult time renting, there are certain breeds that insurance companies won't cover and Pits are one. I am a huge dog person but would never rent to a Pit owner due to liability...just not a risk I would take.

Also be aware, many hotels and campgrounds that are dog friendly don't allow Pits or bully breeds.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If you are only considering Portland metro because of kids activities and you have a pit bull or pit bull mix unless you can afford to buy a house I suggest you stay where you are where your dog is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland