Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:59 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,986,635 times

Advertisements

The food carts are great don't get me wrong, but I mean the restaurants themselves? Honestly there's no Mexican or Chinese food in Portland I would consider excellent, though maybe I'm spoiled being I spend a lot of time in the Bay Area. Fujin was the closest thing to decent Chinese I've had in Portland (and I'd still say Kowloon in Eugene is better actually) and they're gone now. I went to a vegan Chinese buffet that's now closed in Southwest and it was atrocious. I don't know if that's the norm for vegan food in general or not. The "American food" type places like McMenamin's and Rock Bottom Brewery have very mediocre food and beer. Honestly you're better off just going to Applebee's or Red Robin!

There's plenty of Thai and Vietnamese food, too much of it I'd say as I don't find either cuisine particularly yummy.

As far as Indian food goes Dwaraka is very good but the selection is so small. I like Evergreen in Corvallis a bit more. In fact for its size Corvallis has far better food than Portland which is interesting. The fare here in general is pretty bland and flavorless I've found, though maybe I'm just going to the wrong places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 06:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,319,029 times
I like the trucks but didn't think much else was worth going to twice. The only places I go back to are Nicholas and Sizzle Pie.
I don't know if I really care that much about the trucks either, they are just there and convenient.
My girlfriend considers PDX is a foodie paradise so I must have missed something. She's from SF, too...

Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,925,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
The food carts are great don't get me wrong, but I mean the restaurants themselves? Honestly there's no Mexican or Chinese food in Portland I would consider excellent, though maybe I'm spoiled being I spend a lot of time in the Bay Area. Fujin was the closest thing to decent Chinese I've had in Portland (and I'd still say Kowloon in Eugene is better actually) and they're gone now. I went to a vegan Chinese buffet that's now closed in Southwest and it was atrocious. I don't know if that's the norm for vegan food in general or not. The "American food" type places like McMenamin's and Rock Bottom Brewery have very mediocre food and beer. Honestly you're better off just going to Applebee's or Red Robin!

There's plenty of Thai and Vietnamese food, too much of it I'd say as I don't find either cuisine particularly yummy.

As far as Indian food goes Dwaraka is very good but the selection is so small. I like Evergreen in Corvallis a bit more. In fact for its size Corvallis has far better food than Portland which is interesting. The fare here in general is pretty bland and flavorless I've found, though maybe I'm just going to the wrong places?
I have been saying forever on this forum that the food carts and much of the cuisine is overrated. I am from S.F. and lived in NYC for many years so I come with that perspective. I just think many restaurants here lack some basic skills like salting appropriately. I have been to many a trendy eatery whose menus read well and the decor is that artisanal rustic look then eat... and my goodness...not good. I do have a few favorites that I tend to stick to and I adjust my expectations when I need to. The farm to table movement is def. a significant aspect to our food culture here and we have amazing ice cream makers, coffee roasters/ houses, access to organic produce and high quality food on the run. I am a fan of Elephant's.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,309,423 times
Elephant's?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,968,490 times
Ling Gardens @ 21st and Lovejoy. I find it quite acceptable Chinese fare. India Palace in Hillsboro is also quite acceptable. Yes, Thai food abounds, but after finding Thanh Thao in SE (40th and Ceasar Chavez) will probably not be looking elsewhere. Great food is all over, in Portland but it is all way above my pay grade. We've had some nice experiences as gifts and special occasions but regular 'date night' eating out has to be done with value in mind. It is hard to be a foodie on the cheap IMO. FWIW.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I am a fan of Elephant's.
I used to work there actually and yeah their food is good!

Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have been saying forever on this forum that the food carts and much of the cuisine is overrated. I am from S.F. and lived in NYC for many years so I come with that perspective. I just think many restaurants here lack some basic skills like salting appropriately. I have been to many a trendy eatery whose menus read well and the decor is that artisanal rustic look then eat... and my goodness...not good. I do have a few favorites that I tend to stick to and I adjust my expectations when I need to. The farm to table movement is def. a significant aspect to our food culture here and we have amazing ice cream makers, coffee roasters/ houses, access to organic produce and high quality food on the run. I am a fan of Elephant's.
Yeah the food carts are cool and all but honestly most of them are clones of each other. All of the burrito and falafel carts are exactly the same. And if you go out late at night you will find rats abound in food cart areas! :O Brunch Box is disappointing, I was expecting a crazy huge delicious sandwich after my brother hyped it up but ended up still hungry and $10 poorer. There's nothing really special like Japadog in Vancouver BC ... Potato Champion is OK but their fries and poutine could be a lot better. Definitely not as good as the stuff in Canada.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Elephant's?
Elephant Deli. The location in the NW is a treat. Feels like I am in NYC when I go there. It is a local chain. You should check it out.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Yeah the food carts are cool and all but honestly most of them are clones of each other. All of the burrito and falafel carts are exactly the same. And if you go out late at night you will find rats abound in food cart areas! :O Brunch Box is disappointing, I was expecting a crazy huge delicious sandwich after my brother hyped it up but ended up still hungry and $10 poorer. There's nothing really special like Japadog in Vancouver BC ... Potato Champion is OK but their fries and poutine could be a lot better. Definitely not as good as the stuff in Canada.
My hubby loves Vancouver B.C. and raves about the food. We plan on a family road trip soon.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,319,029 times
I will say that I also like Por Que No.

They are the best tacos made by white people (and a stoned asian chick) that I have ever eaten.

Maybe I just don't have a refined palate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland