Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,303,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The Clymb doesn't pay that high of salaries, I know people who are working there and considered a job there--it's fairly average, it's a pretty recent startup company.

$50k isn't really a "burn-out" salary in Portland. "Burnouts" in Portland are making like 20k to 30 k if they're lucky(good chance they're unemployed or very underemployed). Plenty of mid-level positions are paying like 40k to 60k in the Portland area... Salaries are lower here, I think people realize that you'll make more if you go to Seattle in about every field(though pay more for rent or mortgages too). As well there's a ton of contract positions everywhere(Intel, BPA, Nike, etc.)--which can pay okay or even more than permanent but you pay for health insurance, and there's little job security.
We may have a different definition of a burn out job. I was thinking of something like being a sys admin for some system that is essential but nobody wants to deal with. Like dev ops for the Splunk cluster. Something that an experienced guy could do in his sleep. That is what all my burned out silicon valley friends do. Does that pay $30K?

I don't know about The Clymb specifically. I just threw that one in there. But I know people at Urban Airship, Jive, Puppet Labs and New Relic and they all make just over $100K. They are all pretty senior though. Actually I could just ask them if they have jobs like what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,942 times
Quote:
Does the Clymb really that high of salaries, I know people who are working there and considered a job there--it's fairly average, it's a pretty recent startup company.

$50k isn't really a "burn-out" salary in Portland. "Burnouts" in Portland are making like 20k to 30 k if they're lucky(good chance they're unemployed or very underemployed). Plenty of mid-level positions are paying like 40k to 60k in the Portland area... Salaries are lower here, I think people realize that you'll make more if you go to Seattle in about every field(though pay more for rent or mortgages too). As well there's a ton of contract positions everywhere(Intel, BPA, Nike, etc.)--which can pay okay or even more than permanent but you pay for health insurance, and there's little job security.
I looked at The Clymb too. The pay, at least in my field, is about 15% lower than similar the Portland area. Then, of course, factor in that the Portland area is still a good 15% lower than elsewhere when you factor purchasing power/COL/etc. Also, Nike and Columbia underpay their employees too.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:35 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,479,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
We may have a different definition of a burn out job. I was thinking of something like being a sys admin for some system that is essential but nobody wants to deal with. Like dev ops for the Splunk cluster. Something that an experienced guy could do in his sleep. That is what all my burned out silicon valley friends do. Does that pay $30K?

I don't know about The Clymb specifically. I just threw that one in there. But I know people at Urban Airship, Jive, Puppet Labs and New Relic and they all make just over $100K. They are all pretty senior though. Actually I could just ask them if they have jobs like what I'm talking about.
Okay, I misunderstood what you mean by "burnout" jobs... I thought you were referring to actual "burn outs".

I've had my fair share of burn-out jobs then...but in general a lot of jobs are awful. The generation that got to retire before computers took over the workforce were lucky bastards...

Old 10-31-2014, 03:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,303,913 times
Nah i meant if you got burned out working at Apple 100 hours a week then had the bright idea to move to Portland like every other hated Californian. But making $30K at a skateboard factory or something sounds like a forgotten burn out dream of the 90s too...

Old 10-31-2014, 04:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,479,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Nah i meant if you got burned out working at Apple 100 hours a week then had the bright idea to move to Portland like every other hated Californian. But making $30K at a skateboard factory or something sounds like a forgotten burn out dream of the 90s too...
Most skateboard factories are probably located in Mexico or China these days.

$30,000 a year is basically just under $14.50 an hour. That's like the wage of an office assistant in Portland or temp office worker. I think a lot of middle-rung jobs or entry level jobs for some skill-sets are basically in the range of 50k in Portland.

I don't really know what all the service industry people in Portland make...

Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 PM

210 posts, read 251,130 times
From my research, the majority (more than 50%) of the jobs in Portland pay less than $19/hr ($39,520/yr). Only approximately 23% or so of the jobs pay $31.25/hr ($65,000/yr) or more.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
Most skateboard factories are probably located in Mexico or China these days.

$30,000 a year is basically just under $14.50 an hour. That's like the wage of an office assistant in Portland or temp office worker. I think a lot of middle-rung jobs or entry level jobs for some skill-sets are basically in the range of 50k in Portland.

I don't really know what all the service industry people in Portland make...
Depending on the job and how many hours one in the service industry works here they will make about $20-40K, though some could be making more depending on what they do.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:31 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,512,261 times
Did anyone see the young adult Portland resident who did a Photoshop of pictures with her mother on the national news this morning? I suspect she is one of those arts folks who moved here from out of state (the mother lives in FL and they mentioned holidays celebrated in yet another state).

Reinforces the perception that artistic talent gravitates to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland