Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 12:28 PM

7 posts, read 8,322 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to portland at the end of November from NY and was wondering what providers do you suggest? I will be working from home (apt in Nob Hill) if that helps at all.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 01:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
I use Verizon basically because I am a legacy customer and am too lazy to try other vendors. My friends suggest Consumer Cellular for best deal. AT&T is also popular.

Cable service is Comcast, no avoiding them.

For fast internet I understand Comcast is best. I use Qwest 'cause its cheaper.

I DON'T KNOW A SOUL WHO LIKES COMCAST although their installers do arrive on time.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Don't use Century Link when you get here, they will be a waste of your time and might not even hook up your service when they tell you they will hook it up.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 PM

892 posts, read 2,393,593 times
If you will be working from home in some fashion that requires Internet access, then you really only have one choice...and it's a poor one but you can make it work. Here's my advice based on experience doing exactly this:

Despite a few other options like DSL from CenturyLink or wireless from Clear or someplace like Stephouse, unfortunately the most solid and reliable high speed option you will have is Comcast cable. They're an awful company and it hurts to have to support them, but you can make it painless. The key is getting a "business" account with them rather than a "residential" one.

When you sign up for Comcast Business just get the very cheapest most basic service, it will be fine (seriously, you can videoconference a ton and Skype with six people and run cloud backups and play videogames in your spare time and it will more than suffice). Definitely opt for your own modem and router, and don't rent from them (that option is cost-negative in less than a year). They can recommend a good modem to buy, and you should choose a router of your own liking...just get both from someplace like Amazon or Fry's. The installer will make your modem work, just as long as it's on their approved list.

You'll get your very own real live person support dude as a business customer, keep their e-mail and contact information handy. If you ever have downtime (unlikely) they will be reachable and responsive and it will get fixed fast. You won't ever have to worry about random slowdowns during peak hours, like all residential customers do. Everything will pretty much just work, and stay fast, so you can focus on work and other stuff. You'll also never be shaped or capped.

If you strongly dislike Comcast's business practices with customer data, or just don't feel like having them snoop on your traffic (like all cable companies, they do) you can get yourself a private VPN account for less than $4 a month from an outfit like Private Internet Access. You can turn it on and off at whim whenever you feel like being more private from your ISP, and you can log into it either on an individual device or at your router for the whole house.

Comcast Business: Business Internet, Business Phone Services, Ethernet Services - Comcast Business

Private Internet Access: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

You really don't want to waste your time on "residential" service from Comcast at all. There will be promo rates and bandwidth numbers that make it sound enticing but you will end up getting far less speed than advertised and you'll be paying within a couple dollars a month of the business class price as soon as the promo expires. This is really the best option.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 PM

892 posts, read 2,393,593 times
I don't watch TV so I don't have a recommendation for that, but for cell phones Verizon and T-Mobile generally garner positive feedback from Portland users that I know. AT&T is functional, but generally garners more spite and frustration from the people I talk to who have used all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland