Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 AM

306 posts, read 701,590 times

Advertisements

I visited Portland and I loved it, for a lot of reasons. If I wanted to live in the area around southwest Portland, the Pearl District and downtown, how much would that cost?

In terms of my living conditions, I'd live alone and I definitely tend to live in nicer places -- a bit newer or at least well-maintained with updated appliances. Not on the swanky end of things, but definitely decent. I'm not the type who is willing to save a few hundreds buck by living somewhere kind of shady. Usually I live in big corporate-owned apartment buildings -- preferably a high rise -- not a random house owned by some guy.

I paid similar rent in Chicago, Boston and Sacramento, which was about $1400 a month for either a one-bedroom or a studio apartment. Would Portland be any cheaper than that? I will be able to move wherever I want so the prospect of saving money while getting the city lifestyle I want is appealing to me.

Right now, my frontrunner is Chicago, but I'm having a hard time dismissing the crazy idea of going to Portland, even though I've never lived there and don't know anyone there. My first step is deciding if it makes sense economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I paid similar rent in Chicago, Boston and Sacramento, which was about $1400 a month for either a one-bedroom or a studio apartment. Would Portland be any cheaper than that?
Not really, no...that's pretty much right on the money for what you're describing.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:20 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
PDX will probably be *slightly* cheaper than the cities you mentioned, but your wages/career options will be very limited in comparison to one of those major metros. In essence you WILL be more poor in Oregon in all likelihood.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 AM

^ I will retain my job, I can just work remotely from wherever I want. Portland is an attractive prospect. But I suppose it's also worth thinking about the prospects of having local job opportunities when I decide I can't tolerate my current job any longer.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
$1400 in Portland will likely get you a nicer apt. than the same money in Boston. So that's something. But yes, your options for making money here are probably reduced as well.

Sacramento and Portland have a lot of similarities housing-wise, though Portland hasn't seen quite as much run-up in the cost of buying houses as Sacramento has. That said, Sacramento seems poised to see drops in market pricing sooner than Portland as well.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:49 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
PDX is cool and has a lot of the buildings you describe, in the Pearl. I feel the rent is slightly more, like if you have $1800 you will have no problem. In 2012 sublet a place at 111 NE 6th called Central Eastside lofts for $1350. It was sort of like a "junior 1 bedroom" but very new and nice. Then I moved into the Janey, that was $1750. The Janey was probably nicer but I kind of preferred the location on the other side of the river.

I also live in Evanston, just north of Chicago now. I feel like if you want to buy a condo, Chicago has better deals. Housing in Chicago is generally going to be cheaper, although there probably is more super expensive housing too. "Regular" housing in Portland seems very expensive now compared to local wages. Chicago is also is a much larger city and much more "mainstream" city than Portland. Which is good and bad. People are a little more down to earth but being down to earth can be overrated. Chicago has a lot of problems which I think are objectively worse than Portland's problems. However, the work at home, $1400/m studio crowd never run into those problems. In Portland, no matter what you do, you do end up dealing with the PDX weirdo types. It is novel at first but then becomes wearing after you get ambushed by some antivax collodial silver ancient aliens believer a few too many times.

I lived in Boston many years ago and it was WAY more expensive back then than either Portland or Chicago is now.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:10 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post

I also live in Evanston, just north of Chicago now. I feel like if you want to buy a condo, Chicago has better deals.
I agree with that, and it's largely a function of available housing stock in my opinion. Portland has generally more SFH and fewer condos than Chicago within the city proper.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
$1400 in Portland will likely get you a nicer apt. than the same money in Boston. So that's something. But yes, your options for making money here are probably reduced as well.

Sacramento and Portland have a lot of similarities housing-wise, though Portland hasn't seen quite as much run-up in the cost of buying houses as Sacramento has. That said, Sacramento seems poised to see drops in market pricing sooner than Portland as well.
I understand you're speaking about the housing market, but Sacramento is a Moderator cut: snip For amenities and lifestyle, Portland is clearly the more attractive option, even if Sacramento is cheaper. I can't wait to leave Sacramento -- it barely qualifies as a "city." The question is just where I will go.

I want to move to Portland so badly, but I think what I'm hearing is that a place like Chicago may be a better investment. Sigh. Chicago is still a great city, I suppose. I think probably for big city amenities and lifestyle, Chicago is the best deal around. I should do more research though. Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll try to save on rent so I can still visit PDX!

Last edited by delta07; 11-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Removed profanity reference

Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
--

Last edited by rzzzz; 11-05-2014 at 08:17 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 07:53 PM

^

Last edited by muffincake; 11-05-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: