Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 9,331 times

Advertisements

My family (spouse, one baby, one dog) may possibly be moving from the east coast to Portland next year for a new job, and have just begun researching the city. The job would be in the University Park area, and ideally we would want to be within a reliable 30 minute commute of that area. We need 2-3 bedrooms and some kind of fenced in yard no matter how small – ideally it’d be a ranch style or some other small house. Our baby is a few years away from school and we’d be renting at first so quality of the school district is not an immediate concern. Without getting into details, there would be compelling reasons to take this job, but we’d be giving up one of our incomes in the short to mid run. So initial household income would likely be just under $60k to start without a clear idea of when that would improve. We consider ourselves interesting people, but being completely honest, all we really truly need in terms of livability is access to good/fun groceries and decent places to walk our dog. With the above constraints in mind, any suggestions on areas to consider or general thoughts on the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 10:16 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Were I you I would look in the University Park neighborhood, off of Lombard which is a busy street. Here is two opinions of that neighborhood: Portland Neighborhoods: University Park , http://www.movingtoportland.net/port...iversity-park/ .

Old 11-08-2014, 12:49 PM

10 posts, read 9,331 times
Any idea how far away from the University of Portland one needs to live in order to avoid this?

Raucous U-Portland students offend neighbors

I realize the above news report may be blowing the situation out of proportion. But quiet at night is important to us.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Gee, I had no idea that there were issues. Back in the day it was a nice quiet neighborhood with lovely homes. The nearby neighborhood of Overlook would be far enough away from student housing yet convenient to University Park.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
Overlook is great. The traffic on Willamette blvd might get tiresome at times. Anywhere just off Wilamette Blvd either side of the school should be fine. I read the back story. The complainant lives 2 blocks from the Twilight room. A watering hole for locals and students alike. Instant jerk, just add alcohol. Avoid proximity to bars and taverns and anything like this should be a non issue. I knocked back more than a few in the Twighlight room. Never had any issues, But... that was long ago. Things change.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
If you have to commute in rush and want to stay within 30 minutes, you're a bit squeezed because it's not an easy area to get in/out of. Prices north of Willis will be cheaper, but crime ticks up a bit, and you're closer to the rail beds (noise, presumably some chemical risk) and the raceway. In St. Johns you'd almost certainly want to stay south of Fessenden, for the same reasons.

That area has gentrified quite a bit - lots of restaurants/etc. along Lombard these days, especially around Univ. Park. But if you were leery of being too close to campus Overlook is a good alternate, as would be Kenton or Arbor Lodge. Or St. Johns.

Vancouver would seem a nice option right across the river, but just the I-5 bridge crossing can eat your whole 30 minutes. West of MLK, Lombard can be a bit slow east/west road with all the lights and commerce. Columbia/Marine are faster, but you'll lose some time working north/south to access it. And realistically, most of the places you'd probably want to be in northeast aren't going to be much cheaper than AL/Kenton/Overlook, esp. if you can save money by using alternative commuting.

To the west you have the woodsy depths of Forest Park - you could in theory come over the hill from Beaverton in 30 minutes, but it's pretty risky in the winter (steep winding roads and ice).

Old 11-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Up on the hill in Linnton would be an option. In icy/snowy weather just park along the base of the hill. Route: over St. John's Bridge, hang a right, pass Safeway, drive out Lombard to destination. Assuming the OP has the usual 9-5 type work schedule they would be going against traffic.

There are some condos built during the housing bubble right off Germantown Road that doubtless are rentals now. Because Germantown Road is a popular shortcut between St. Helens Road and Beaverton/Hillsboro traffic can back up at the intersection.

I wouldn't describe Linnton as particularly walkable unless you are a mountain goat.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:24 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

I wouldn't describe Linnton as particularly walkable unless you are a mountain goat.
Lol - true. But there are lots of pretty features, and it's a very short drive in to Cathedral Park, plus the trails in Forest Park. So no shortage of walking around nearby.

I didn't mention it mostly just because when I've priced rentals I rarely see openings there, and my perception is that it's going to be as/more expensive as the neighborhoods closer to campus east of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland