Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 PM

41 posts, read 80,868 times

Advertisements

This was a really interesting read for me. As someone "shopping" the Northwest, if you will, and someone who currently lives in Dayton, Ohio; I'm not sure what to make of this. Most people would lump many of the cities in my area into the general idea outside the Midwest that we're stuck in the past. Meanwhile, Dayton and Cincinnati both have massive gentrification happening... local breweries and cafes popping up like weeds, Cincinnati is building a streetcar in an area that was basically a Demilitarized Zone 10 years ago. New parks weekly, it feels like. Fiber internet is widely available and potholes disappear in about 24 hours. We have well-funded schools and bored police.

I'm just wondering if this is a matter of perspective. I lived here through the dark years of GM and NCR leaving, so perhaps my view is skewed, then again, maybe I'm just an optimist.

Last edited by RadioOutrun; 11-28-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 11:14 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioOutrun View Post
This was a really interesting read for me. As someone "shopping" the Northwest, if you will, and someone who currently lives in Dayton, Ohio; I'm not sure what to make of this. Most people would lump many of the cities in my area into the general idea outside the Midwest that we're stuck in the past. Meanwhile, Dayton and Cincinnati both have massive gentrification happening... local breweries and cafes popping up like weeds, Cincinnati is building a streetcar in an area that was basically a Demilitarized Zone 10 years ago. New parks weekly, it feels like. Fiber internet is widely available and potholes disappear in about 24 hours. We have well-funded schools and bored police.

I'm just wondering if this is a matter of perspective. I lived here through the dark years of GM and NCR leaving, so perhaps my view is skewed, then again, maybe I'm just an optimist.

Until Daytonians (Daytonites?) learn how to pronounce their city's Oregon district 'ORYGUN' rather than 'ORE-EE-GONE' I don't know that they can be trusted...
(Just kidding, sorta. I've been scolded may times that while they are aware of the disconnect, they will continue with their pronunciation.)

Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 PM

170 posts, read 193,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I live in Hillsboro, have a rifle, and love living out in the countryside. I assume you would label me as a hillbilly/redneck. But what you are not able to grasp is that your intended insult is actually a compliment.

not meant as an insult; just stating a fact; different strokes for different folks. peace out!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
I read this thread with lots of interest. I left LA 1.5 years ago and couldn't be happier here. But then again, I think I like that it's slower, less "city", more about nature. Also, as I've gotten older, I've also realized I like a more country living (minus the spiders and bugs - yes, there's still a city girl inside). Therefore, I never thought of Portland as "behind", just less "city". For example, I think all the electronic signs on the freeways are a waste of money and a huge eyesore, although I'm used to them being up in CA. They're also super bright since the freeways here are WAY darker. I hate them and although it's great to know how long it'll take to get somewhere, they're also uselessly telling me "congestion ahead" when I'm already stuck in traffic.

I hope Portland never turns into a "big city" like LA, Vancouver, SF, Seattle. Great cities....to visit. If we're behind, I'd rather take "behind" than "city".

Old 12-22-2014, 05:11 PM

548 posts, read 816,407 times
If Portland seems like an old, worn out, run down city, all I can say is stay west of the Rocky Mountains! I supposed compared to Las Vegas or Phoenix one might feel that way about Portland, though I'd also be surprised by anyone who says that "Portland doesn't have interesting food" if those are the cities they are comparing it to.

After growing up in the NOrthwest I've lived in the Northeast for 20 years, with a couple of year detour to the Midwest. I think we have potholes in my New England city that are older than Lewis & Clark; Portland freeways almost make me cry they are in such good shape. And its a very, very short list of cities that have a more interesting food scene than Portland.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:04 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
It has a grunge look to it which is part of the appeal. It's unique.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
If Portland seems like an old, worn out, run down city, all I can say is stay west of the Rocky Mountains! I supposed compared to Las Vegas or Phoenix one might feel that way about Portland, though I'd also be surprised by anyone who says that "Portland doesn't have interesting food" if those are the cities they are comparing it to.

After growing up in the NOrthwest I've lived in the Northeast for 20 years, with a couple of year detour to the Midwest. I think we have potholes in my New England city that are older than Lewis & Clark; Portland freeways almost make me cry they are in such good shape. And its a very, very short list of cities that have a more interesting food scene than Portland.
Does Boston have 70 miles of unpaved roads?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Does Boston have 70 miles of unpaved roads?
As soon as homeowners living on unpaved streets agree to foot the bill just like other homeowners who have had their streets paved in the past did, then those streets will be paved.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:33 PM

64 posts, read 112,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
There's a joke about that in the show Portlandia, and I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that Portland is stuck twenty years in the past. On the bad side the infrastructure here (the roads, heating and cooling in apartments, etc) tends to be dated and inadequate and the food is not nearly as yummy as it is in a lot of other parts of the country. In the past American food was a lot less good and variable in general and to a large extent this is still the case in Portland.

On the good side Portland still has a lot of bookstores, independent markets and record shops, something that's been replaced by the Internet and Walmart in most of the rest of the country.
I left Portland in 1980 and moved to Chicago. I was surprised to discover that Chicago was in fact several years behind Portland in many ways. I didn't know how cutting edge Portland was at the time. Perhaps things have changed, and it seems Portland has become much more self-conscious about its Portland-ness. There are certainly worse places to live. But this whole "Keep Portland weird" thing just needs to be killed with fire.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:08 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telzey View Post
I left Portland in 1980 and moved to Chicago. I was surprised to discover that Chicago was in fact several years behind Portland in many ways. I didn't know how cutting edge Portland was at the time. Perhaps things have changed, and it seems Portland has become much more self-conscious about its Portland-ness. There are certainly worse places to live. But this whole "Keep Portland weird" thing just needs to be killed with fire.
I think Portland is one of those places that believes it's on the cutting edge of everything but in fact is actually quite backwards in many ways. I think the same could be said for the West Coast in general. During most of the 20th century, up to the 80s, the West Coast was on the forefront of everything but over the past generation it's fallen behind yet people still think this is the most progressive and advanced region on Earth and that our problems are miniscule compared to everwhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland