Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:27 PM

45 posts, read 42,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Part of the paleo diet is buying QUALITY meat - grass fed, hormone-free, lean meat. That is pretty much incompatible with cheap.
once again, i said we have been taking liberties on it

i cant afford grass fed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I would think that a true paleo diet would necessitate the eating of low quality meats - the animals that were too sick or lame to run away from the prehistoric hunters armed with pointed sticks.

Is it illegal to collect and eat roadkill in Oregon?
But even those slow animals were grass fed. Go for mutton. It should be relatively cheap and true to the old, lame hypothesis.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:53 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
A deer impaled himself on a fence at my son's place of work and died, wildlife officials prohibited butchering the poor thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:28 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
I've never done more than drive past this place but it looks like it's worth checking out: Butcher Shop in Beaverton, Wholesale Meat, Beef, Steak, Pork, Sausages

Also, I got a tip from a Costco employee recently. The Costco pharmacy is not limited to members; it's open to the general public. So if you want to browse around the store before shelling out for membership, tell the person at the door that you're going to the pharmacy.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I've never done more than drive past this place but it looks like it's worth checking out: Butcher Shop in Beaverton, Wholesale Meat, Beef, Steak, Pork, Sausages

Also, I got a tip from a Costco employee recently. The Costco pharmacy is not limited to members; it's open to the general public. So if you want to browse around the store before shelling out for membership, tell the person at the door that you're going to the pharmacy.
Rob Allen,

IOU one big hug.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Part of the paleo diet is buying QUALITY meat - grass fed, hormone-free, lean meat. That is pretty much incompatible with cheap.
I also am not understanding the obssession with "cheap" on the part of the o.p. In 2014 in a major metropolitan area... ... with a COL of 107. Michigan has a COL of 80. LOL That's what being a has been rust-belt, left for dead victim of the offshoring of the automobile industry gets you. Portland has not had that particular misfortune. It isn't for me or mine, but I have heard positive reviews of a vegetarian diet and the complete lack of exposure to the usurious prices being charged for meat is one of them. Ironically most vegetarians lock onto the coordinates of the nearest Whole Foods or New Seasons and pay the equivalent food budget of a normal (sic) meat eating family that shops at venues like Winco exclusively. FWIW I have never paid more than $1.18/lb for chicken thighs at Winco. Even after years of doing it and many, many thousands of the things run through our ... bodies, we are more or less in the same state of health as when we first discovered cheap food at Winco. YMMV. FWIW.

H

Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 PM

478 posts, read 881,980 times
Hey- vegetarian here and I like Winco too. Great bulk foods section, for one thing!

Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
"Cheap" and "meat" don't really belong in the same sentence.

Go on-line every week and check the Safeway ads. They run good specials on chicken fairly frequently. The Foster Farms chickens they sell are grown in Oregon and they are good chickens for supermarket chickens. Be careful about their prices for anything else. They are sometimes high.

Costco in Central Oregon has better quality meat but I don't consider it to be inexpensive.

If you will eat food from China, Food 4 Less carries 10 pound packages of swar, catfish, tilapia, and some other kind of ocean fish that I can't remember what it is, but all of it is cheap. The pork at Food 4 Less is good and often there are specials. I recommend passing on their beef. Food 4 Less has the best price on burger in the family pack, but it is hit or miss. Sometimes it is excellent and some times we call it road kill burger. I used to buy it for my dogs, so I've cooked a lot of it. Dogs don't care if it smells like it should be rolled in before eating it.

The only Winco I shop at is the one in Salem and they carry good pork and often have good sales on pork or chicken. They usually have the best turkey price at Thanksgiving and might have turkey special at Christmas. You might be able to get the butcher to cut the turkey into quarters for you so that it will fit in your freezer and you don't have to cook it all at once. Winco beef is good, but not cheap.

Winco also has great prices in the bulk bins, if there is anything there that you can eat. Grains and spices are priced really well.

I get meat for less than supermarket prices, but I buy in bulk, so none of my sources do you any good.

Since you are in an apartment, talk to your neighbors and see if anyone else is in the same boat that you are. Maybe you can find another family that buys a lot of meat, but has the same small size freezer, and would split large packages with you.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:54 AM

45 posts, read 42,870 times
well i am putting cheap and meat in the same sentence.

i dont really want to do vegetarian, i like meat, i see nothing wrong with meat. i come from a place where its common to raise farm animals and slaughter them for there flesh, i dont have some illusion to how meat is made.

we are checking winco and fred meyer regularly, when i get more money i can check costco.

also there is no way im going in with complete strangers on purchasing anything. im in a apartment until i can afford a house, i have little to no interesting in getting to know my neighbors beyond asking them to turn there tv's down politely.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Most meat markets like Gartners offer "packs" that are a good value. http://www.gartnersmeats.com/product...?category_id=6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland