Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:30 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianbreeze808 View Post
..........Oregonwoodsmoke, I had thought that at the very least the medical would be better,.................................

......... but since they have a kid together ...........
Health care in Oregon is excellent. The issue is that none of the government paid medical insurance pays very much, so no doctor will take more than just a couple of patients who are basically a charity project for the doctor, because he is getting paid peanuts for his time. That means if you have the government insurance for low income, you won't be able to find doctor to take you as a new patient.

I have military health insurance and they pay less than 10% of any bill and often less than that. There is no reason for any doctor to accept it, except as a charity case. The OHP and medicare don't pay any better than that. You'll hear a lot of "not accepting new patients". I drive 150 miles each direction to get to a doctor who will accept my insurance. The doctor's office where I go is now listed as "not accepting new patients", so I am grandfathered in, but no one else gets in unless they have real insurance that pays for the service.

Another thing that might be a problem for you in Oregon. Every time an employer hires a new employee, or re-hires an employee, they must submit that employee's information to the Children's Protective Services. The data banks are searched to see if that new employee owes any child support. Your husband has children other than the two he had with you, so he might be on the hook for unpaid child support. If so, they will take that money directly out of his paycheck before he even sees it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 01:34 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
I gather learning to behave normally, mending fences, making friends, doing good things in the community, and working to get off public assistance is unreasonable to expect, OP?

From what you describe, everyone there is against you. If there's any truth to that, usually when that happens, it's either bigotry against a racial or religious minority, or one has alienated one's surroundings. So if you aren't a racial or religious minority in your area, instead of asking folks in a different state for help to bring an armload of problems to their state, perhaps you should be committing to where you live, to less excuses and more progress, and giving people where you already are a reason to want you to stay.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:39 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I need to add this: before you can get any welfare of any kind in Oregon, you must be a legal resident. That would mean no help from the government for whatever that time period is. It's going to be at least 6 months and might be as long as a year. I've never had to know what the residency period is for welfare. It varies for other things that require residency, so there is no standardized time period for residency.

It's very possible that other states might require residency before coughing up welfare dollars, so that is something else you should look into before deciding where to move.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
My mom is from Oahu originally but she left for college on the West coast during the '60's. Much of my mom's family still lives on Oahu and so I am familiar with the island life and everyone knows everyone. I believe you, OP, when you speak of the lack of employment on the big island. I would suggest that you try going to Oahu, save your $5k, look for housing on the West side and try to get a few jobs. That would solve your issue with your husband's ex. He could still see his kids on the big island. I know Oahu is expensive but it's a lot closer to where you are now and there are jobs. I wish you the best.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I need to add this: before you can get any welfare of any kind in Oregon, you must be a legal resident. That would mean no help from the government for whatever that time period is. It's going to be at least 6 months and might be as long as a year. I've never had to know what the residency period is for welfare. It varies for other things that require residency, so there is no standardized time period for residency.

It's very possible that other states might require residency before coughing up welfare dollars, so that is something else you should look into before deciding where to move.
Can you provide a source for this? I wrote an article on this subject recently, and what you're claiming isn't in the least bit in line with the research I did on the subject.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:41 PM

11 posts, read 13,215 times
Im reading, Im reading. okay, on the subject of help from the state, that is okay if we can get work there, that would probably mean doing research and calling before hand, but it is okay. and as far as bringing a load of problems to another state that is false allegation to the situation. now Oahu is where we got along just fine in, I understand why moving there would be better, there are more people and less drama in comparison. I may think about moving back to Oahu, but I shall first try as hard as I can to move as far away from here as possible.
Its not what we do that sparks the hate on us, its what the "main" idiots (and if life where a game, then the bosses, or if life was a story, the bad guys) cant seem to accept, most of these people here live in the past and dont let go. Our thing is not gangs here, its people who drink and fight their lives away. Even a lady in her 40's can woop ass here. its a different life style.
I understand that there are concerned of extra baggage, but we dont linger in the past as we learn from it. Doing the same things and expecting a different result is insanity, so my husband has tried many different forms of living, the therapists suggest we move far away, the good police officers I can name 5 off hand, say it would be best to move, everyone here who sides with us, knows the complications of living here. on the other hand from hearing what I have been writing its excuses. It truly is, since when does a person give up unless a subject is hopeless?

I understand where everyone is coming from though. and I appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 13,215 times
I feel inclined to mention also that while living in California and in Oahu there was no problems like this, in fact there was no problems at all. we moved back from Oahu twice due to the high rent, but otherwise it was really good. In California there was always a job for my husband, and he has family up there too. before we met he worked at Maaco. I have had family up there but mine like I said moved here, bad choice. We came back from California to be with his sick mother, and grandparents, until now, unfortunately they would have loved to keep us here. We are lively but poise, and my children are children, we go to my aunts house for a week once every other month because it is hard for them

excuses is hardly the question, we made a big impact on alot of things here, even performing and setting up small businesses, we help and contribute. So yes in Oahu and California we where doing well

//Oh Check out Music from "The Steppas" if this is your type of music. //

We cant go to California, the family there say that the crime rate has increased and there is alot of things not mentioned in the news or online that are huge crimes.

We could go to Oahu but before anyone says anything else about that. atleast try to look up rentals there. . . and compare with here. better chance just staying. I mean we almost wound up homeless twice there.

What is to say that it will not happen in the main land where ever we choose to move? okay lets take into consideration that there is a better state the one that we are in. the only question I would then need is how to make the transaction, instead of getting caught into the details, that I vented. . . Its my fault really. i admit to that.
I would have to be in a hotel for atleast a month, and a rental until we can get a car, that is unless we take the bus. a bus with the kids seems unsafe so Ill stick with rental. i know someone who works at alamo so my car rentals are cheaper.
I have thought about Oregon, and realize the thought was a bit of a rush. But basically the stay at a hotel is usually day by day.
that means we need the 5000 in savings alone just for the first months rent and a "working" car. this is the foundation. if I am wrong then maybe its Impossible. I dont believe that anything is impossible it just needs some time to solve.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Actually, residency requirements for social benefits has been found unconstitutional, so I'm not sure where the waiting at least six months thing came from.

residency legal definition of residency

Anyway, OP, I hope you find what you need to get your life sorted out. I agree that Portland might not be your place, and there are certainly no grants available for relocation purposes. You have work and income there, so you might be better off staying put rather than starting over somewhere else.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
The rent for a one bedroom here isn't any cheaper.
Oh but it is. Hawaii's Rentals are astronomically high and simply cost more than anything in Portland. Sorry, but Hawaii's COL is outrageous and simply dwarfs Portland and most cities in the U.S. in every category unless you are comparing to SF or NY.

I get it, the last thing Portland residents want is another homeless family. There is already an over abundance of homeless in PDX. But trying to steer OP with false claims is not the answer.

With all that said, Portland is not the answer for OP. OP and her family need to get on their feet. And if there is one thing about Portland is the lack of jobs. Moving to Portland would be a temp fix until what little money they had ran out. Assuming they managed to get to the mainland with any money. That's one pricey move. Not sure how they'd pull it off with anything left over.

So I agree with the consensus to stay put.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 PM

305 posts, read 416,745 times
OP I will advice you take the advice from the guy/woman with experience in the medical field and go to New England before you even think about going West... its not worth it. And I feel sad for your children. I too was homeless in a situation I couldnt help, younger, and I hated living that way, no one should have to experience that, so I think you should try staying in HI, and if not, go East here in the mainland, not west, like they said, West is usually more higher standard living compared to the East. It will be better weather West but Portland has enough homeless... honestly.

And also make sure you or your husband try some temp services if you come up here. And secondly, you have 5K in the bank? Its surely not the end of the world with that fact alone... Hate to say it but as experiencing being homeless, that young, I would say your kids are better off in a foster home than on the streets. Be wise in your choices and calculate your finances correctly, mainly for their sake, and again, wouldnt recommend Portland, not only are there MANY homeless like you there, but not many 'normal' jobs people in your situation to apply for, ontop of the face employers there will have little sympathy for your situation when they deal wit it so much there.

Oh and dont come Southeast, they dont really care for people struggling here all that well too. They want to see your education first, atleast get your GED first before you come mainland if you can...

GL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland