Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtorelocate View Post
Wow!! How does the cities businesses get away with age discrimination. I don't think we would move without one of us having a job, but this is very discouraging and quit frankly a let down....

Any one else with any information on this age discrimnation I would really like to hear about it. This may be a deal breaker for us.
We have to work to survive. If we were independly wealth this would be another thing, but that is not the case.
I need to work to survive, too. I'm leaving this month to a "less hip" city that one wouldn't expect to have a better job market. Yet I have had two fairly firm offers there, and a couple more indications of interest.

Since I've been here I've put in my time doing freelance and piecemeal work for several companies, for far less pay than I made elsewhere. I expected to have to pay my dues, but I also expected to make some headway once I'd proved my worth.

It hasn't happened. I haven't even been considered for jobs that open up, which have all gone (I mean 100% gone) to people under 35, and mostly (not all, but mostly) to native Oregonians or those who went to college here. At 43, I'm a geezer in the Portland workforce.

Those who don't "fit in" here seem to have a great deal of trouble getting a good job, and being over 40 definitely doesn't fit in.

And, yes, I too have heard people here in their (early!) 30s bemoan being "over the hill."

You're right; it doesn't fit with the image Portland likes to see in the mirror of itself as being "progressive" and "diverse."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 AM

38 posts, read 123,282 times
Again, Thank you everyone for very helpful input. I'm think as much as Portland sounds like a wonderful place to live we may not be able to survive. We are very discouraged with everything we have read and heard about the age discrimination and low pay. But it does not mean we have totally ruled it out.

Anyone out there in the Advertising world on the creative side with any information on salaries and age discrimination. We are well aware of the competive, cut throat business that Advertising agency have. This is something that is not unique to only Portland. This a nationwide issue. So my husband will get that were every we choose to live.

Just hoping we can make this city work for us. Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
I would hope you wouldn't make your decision about moving to Porltand just based on this board. If you've noticed, it mainly seems to be comprised of people who are leaving Portland or unhappy here. I'm not saying they're not telling it how it's been for THEM, it's just that there are a lot of people living here happy and doing well too.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM

49 posts, read 233,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Age discrimination definitely happens in creative and technology fields in both Portland and Seattle. I'm in a profession where I interact with these professionals and I've cringed when I've heard twenty somethings joke about "over the hill" thirty year olds. I've also been surprised by job ads here in Portland that say, "Great opportunity for young person to gain experience." That is totally illegal!

Other factors to consider are that the salaries in Portland are quite low compared to the cost of living and Oregon has a state income tax that takes a significant chunk of your annual income.
It's really sad that experince doesn't seem to count for much in this day and age. My experience which is in the Engineering segment is that those coming fresh out of school aren't really good for much for several years and as far as wages go you get what you pay for. Companies seem to find away around the age descrimination thing even though it is illegal.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I would hope you wouldn't make your decision about moving to Porltand just based on this board. If you've noticed, it mainly seems to be comprised of people who are leaving Portland or unhappy here. I'm not saying they're not telling it how it's been for THEM, it's just that there are a lot of people living here happy and doing well too.

No, we would not base our final decision on this board. But it is a little scary I have to say. For an "over-the-hill" 38 year old who thought he should be in his prime with 10 plus years of expierence and is excellent at what he does and by the way is probably in better shape than most 25 year olds.

We will be making a trip out to Portland this spring to check it out and also taking our children to Cannon Beach this summer for about 2 weeks. I hope this will help us to better make our decision.

Thank you oldintype you seem to always put a positive spin on most of your posts. I appreciate that.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,371 times
I moved to Portland about 7 years ago and absolutely love it. No matter where you decide to go, there will be advantages and disadvantages. The primary advantage for me is the close proximity to the natural surroundings. There is an "Urban Growth Boundary" that is around every town in Oregon... beyond which, no one can build, (unless it is within the strict zoning regulations). This prevents urban sprawl and keeps home prices (actually, the land prices) on the high side. It also means that most people are within a few minute drive to natural beauty... parks, farmland, etc. In addition, Oregon is on the top ten states people are moving to. This means the real estate market is not as subject to the problems other cities are experiencing. Yes, the prices have come down a bit... but the odd thing is, overall, appreciation for 2007 was in the 8% range.

Portland has over 90 neighborhood associations that try to care for each different feeling area. There are so many flavors of neighborhoods!!

Lake Oswego is excellent for schools and homes right now. The schools are ranked at the top for public school quality. The area is beautiful.. many great neighborhoods, lots of trees, shops, excellent library, and it's about 15 minutes or so to town.

Some of the neighborhoods remind me of the SF area... especially Marin County's (Mill Valleyish) odd windey, tree lined streets with great homes on each side. Others are more of a Suburban feel.. especially Beaverton and Hillsboro, to the west. The SE area.. both close in and out towards Gresham offer a flatter terrain and you can get more house for the money (outer). Sandy, which is east, is a small town that is experiencing lots of growth... It is fairly close to the Columbia Gorge and Mt. Hood... ah.. I could go on.. but I would say, keep doing your research and don't let a few folks' experience determine your future adventure.

I would agree to try to have something lined up before you come... but that would be the advice I would offer no matter where you go. Trust your intuition and be clear on your priorities... Best wishes!!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:49 PM

72 posts, read 122,569 times
I also would look into Camas, WA.
camassports.com

Old 01-06-2008, 03:51 PM

How far is Camas from Portland??

Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM

72 posts, read 122,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtorelocate View Post
How far is Camas from Portland??
14 miles, but keep in mind you have
to cross the 205 bridge to get to
Portland with congestion.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,371 times
Default Other Camus consideration:

Camus also hosts a huge papermill. There is a definite odor in the area... depending on the wind and how close you live to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland