Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,364,059 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband may be getting a chance to relocate to Hillsboro for his job. I know buying a hgome is not a good idea right now, however i am interested about whwre are the safe areas to rent apartmenst etc. Thank you Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM

147 posts, read 576,428 times
Generally anything East of Hillsboro airport are very safe. West of the airport, you'll have to take a more careful look. There is a large Latino population West of the airport. That mean great restaurants, but there are also news of stabbing once in a long while. I've always felt safe in any area of Hillsboro and I liked the feels of the Latino community.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 AM

thank you

Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 AM

97 posts, read 502,075 times
Default Hillsboro is growing

Hillsboro is now jokingly referred to as Hillsburrito or Hillsbarrio. It has an exploding Hispanic population. Most are illegals. Hillsboro used to be a little town of about 25,000 people. It is now pushing 100,000 and most of the former pretty farming areas on the west side have been paved over. I would say that NE Hillsboro near the airport is a decent area to live. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:09 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,620,828 times
Default Little People?

Ever watch that show Little people Big World? They live in that area, close to a bamboo grower I used to buy from, that way you can see what the land looks like although one mile away is a big population area, the poster on where to live is right on the money, the schools are really crowed. good luck

Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,196,799 times
But, it is beautiful and it looks very rural where they live. I have not watched the show that often (I like it though when I catch it). They never show it raining or anything. It seems as if it is perpetual spring.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:09 PM

13 posts, read 24,255 times
Wink Hillsboro is Great!

Hi Michelleleigh, we have lived in Hillsboro for over 30 years, let me know if I can help.

Hillsboro being called Hillsburrito is nothing new, that name has been around since the 80's when there were so many seasonal migrant workers. Most of them are here year 'round now and have moved on to other lines of work and own businesses. Actually, so many have been moved out to Cornelius and Aloha due to rising property values and rents.

There have indeed been alot of farms that have sold out to industrial use with the hi-tech boom in Hillsboro. Fortunately we are still surrounded by farms on the outskirts including some very lovely vineyards and orchards, these are protected agricultural zones for atleast the next 20 years. Spring and fall are very beautiful here. On a clear day you can see that we are surrounded by hills and mountain ranges, in the winter the white caps appear.

Yes, Hillsboro is multi-cultural, if that bothers you, I believe last count about 72% white. I dont think thats so unusual for a city of our size, being in the top 5 in Oregon. There are also populations of Asians and Indians who have followed the hi-tech here. Personally, I enjoy the ethnic mom-and-pop restaurants and markets. Through my work as a teacher and outreach programs through church, I have been a part of all the different communities and find overwhelmingly that immigrants are hard working, good people. Over the last few decades I have seen all the changes but have never felt unsafe in any part of town.

If you are looking at apartments, the Tanasbourne and Orenco areas are nice and convenient. If you are looking to rent a house there are many nice neighborhoods as well, even West of the airport. The Street of Dreams (luxury, outrageous, new neighborhoods) has twice selected the North-West area near Evergreen and Jackson School roads. Trust me, its not bad! The city's Park and Recreation Dept is incredible with a wide variety of classes, programs, beautiful parks and protected wooded areas and waterways. We have the Tualatin River and the Jackson Bottom Wetlands whose research in conservation attracts not only state wide school field trips but also governments from around the world.

I can't imagine anything I missed, sorry for the long post, but if I did just ask!
City Of Hillsboro

Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 AM

Thank God Hillsboro is multicultural, I miss that aspect of life Thank you all for the info, hopefully DH will get this transfer(when DH is Happy everyone is Happy as for me I am pretty much happy anywhere that I am at the moment)

Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 PM

543 posts, read 1,142,403 times
Default Hillsboro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Hi, my husband may be getting a chance to relocate to Hillsboro for his job. I know buying a hgome is not a good idea right now, however i am interested about whwre are the safe areas to rent apartmenst etc. Thank you Michelle
Hillsboro does have much to offer. It is far enough outside of Portland to have it's own identity and plans to maintain it's community "feel". Not sure why you'd think it's not a good time to buy, though... With the prices softer than they've been in years, I would say it's not a great time to sell...that's just me with my realtor hat on.

Anyway, there are many areas of rentals that are very popular... Orenco station area is very desireable.. close to the Max, and shops. Homes there are in nice neighborhoods and there may be some for rent. Close to the downtown area of Hillsboro you might find some great neighborhoods as well.

I'd probably be very cautious if considering anything in Cornelius - a bit patchworky as far as nice properties and not so nice (a bit farther west than Hillsboro). Forest Grove, a bit further west than Cornelius has a university and is getting more and more people wanting to move there. Quaint downtown area, great community, and just a few minutes drive to Hillsboro. It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for and how close to work.
Best wishes

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM

18 posts, read 107,563 times
I second the Tanasbourne and Orenco Station areas. Lots of new construction and some nice shopping areas. The max goes out to both places as well. Both areas are maintained well and we've always enjoyed spending time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland