Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 PM

15 posts, read 21,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I stayed in Portland from late April through late July, and I hardly had a decent conversation the entire time.

Then I rode back east on Amtrak and met an older Portlander on the train and we talked for hours.
Interesting.

I usually find older people to be a bit easier to have pleasant conversations with.

Anyone else want to weigh in with their experiences of moving to the general Portland / surrounding area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:55 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
I moved here in 1999 from San Francisco. It really didn't seem that much different people wise. Since I've been here the area has changed a lot with transplants from all over the country, the largest batch seemingly California and New York. Wealth has increased in the inner city, other than that the people seem the same. In the city people talk less to strangers. In the suburbs more. But apart from when I spent time in Ireland and Louisiana, Portland people haven't seemed much different than anywhere else I've been around the county/world. It's not the south, but it's not a cold unfriendly place either.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I moved here in 1999 from San Francisco. It really didn't seem that much different people wise. Since I've been here the area has changed a lot with transplants from all over the country, the largest batch seemingly California and New York. Wealth has increased in the inner city, other than that the people seem the same. In the city people talk less to strangers. In the suburbs more. But apart from when I spent time in Ireland and Louisiana, Portland people haven't seemed much different than anywhere else I've been around the county/world. It's not the south, but it's not a cold unfriendly place either.
Thanks! I've known some San Franciscans and found them to be delightful.

Could you expand on the Ireland comparison?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovian1977 View Post
Hi all. My husband and I seriously need to get the heck out of Minnesota. We are almost set on Portland, but I keep encountering discussions of the passive-aggression problem in Portland.

Well there is your answer right off the bat.

We've already researched the PDX area at length, and much of it sounds great. The climate, the landscape, the politics . . . it all sounds good. I'm worried about this alleged passive-aggression though, as that is our number one reason for wanting to flee Minnesota.

If you move here it will be your number one reason for wanting to leave portland 2 years from now.

For brevity's sake, I will just say this: google "The Law of Jante," and read all you can on it. That is MN, to a "T." Not that either one of us is some great genius or renowned artist or whatever, but my god if you show an ounce of motivation, drive, or aptitude you might as well kiss your job goodbye because you're "rocking the boat." And friends? Forget about it.

Same here... That's not scandinavian though, that's Portland slacker culture. Having friends cuts into Minecraft or 4chan time.

We love the east coast and the east coast attitude, but it's too expensive for us and we figured we might as well make an effort to escape winter if we're going to move across the country. That being said, I can handle a bit of P-A nonsense as it will always be present on some level everywhere in the world, but here it's completely out of control.

It seems at odds to not like passive agressiveness but want to live on the east coast, I guess youre going for full on agressiveness? Escape winter, Enter eternal gloom and dampness. Just like anywhere else it depends on your neighborhood what kind of people you will meet. My neighborhood is unfriendly, my last Portland neighborhood was unfriendly, and my past Arizona neighborhood was unfriendly.. My only friendly neighborhood Minot, ND, so my experience with Scandinavian Jante culture was very positive. Being scandinavian probably also plays into it. I see it less of "we think we're superior to you and you are nothing" and more as "we care about nothing, no one, even ourselves" It's more like extreme apathy and indifference all rolled into one. I remeber they were giving away a new porsche in Finland for a radio contest, finns could either put their name in the drawing or opt to drop it on it's roof and destroy it. Something inconcievable to americans "Who would destroy a nice Porsche? you could take it and Sell it and give the proceedes to charity" Americans and the rest of the world cried out. Well, as you can guess 67% of people voted to drop it and after it hit the ground there was no cheer, no emotion, people just took a picture and walked away. They did sell it to the junk yard and donate to charity, but scandinavains dont really care about success they only care about.... well im not really sure what. The suicide rate is high in scandinavian coutries... So yeah...

We're not expecting utopia, we're not looking for a million BFFs. We are both very resourceful, self-sufficient, no-BS people who do our best to respect others but will defend our rights with no reservations. I have an old High School friend who now lives in Portland, and we have each other and the dog, and if that will be the extent of our social lives out there, that's fine.

Well, thats probably what would happen, well until you inevitably stopped talking... because.... of the reason?

Any input from transplants to the Portland area is very welcome, and input from those who hold equal despise for the BS of Minnesota who can compare it to Portland is especially appreciated.

Success and working hard are pretty meh in Portland. You're likely to hear somthing along the lines of "dude, I have to work like 6 hours today" "Damn man burning the midnight oil, I had to work 4 it was bad enough." "I know bro, I totally couldn't drink or smoke for 2 hours, was litterally dying" "Harsh, man."

Online games, manga, and internet trolling beer drinking in awkward social situations and old Subarus are king.

Moving up the corporate ladder, driving a nice car and owning a home, not so much.
Thanks!

You are welcome.
Ever thought about Denver? perhaps Austin?

Last edited by AndyAMG; 01-08-2015 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: i am a blithering idiot without spellcheck

Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 PM

111 posts, read 171,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I stayed in Portland from late April through late July, and I hardly had a decent conversation the entire time.

Then I rode back east on Amtrak and met an older Portlander on the train and we talked for hours.
And the conclusion you are drawing from this limited experience is what, exactly?

I currently live in one of Portland's "hippest" neighborhoods (Mississippi Avenue). I just took my dog for a walk. No less than 3 separate groups of people stopped me so that they could pet her and ask questions about her breed. This happens just about every day.

Passive aggressiveness is not some something that can be easily perceived in people with whom you only have minimal contact. Your barista, or the random person walking down the street, has absolutely no incentive to act "passive aggressively" towards you. But sometimes, yes, your barista or the random person walking down the street can be an *******, and that's no different here than it is in any other city.

I am from NJ and have lived in an around NYC (the aggressive, rude capitol of the world) if you're looking for perspective. I always found that the only people in that area you needed to look out for were the transplants who felt the need to act like pricks BECAUSE they were in NY, or the really rich Wall St. types who are going to be *******s no matter where they live.

Worrying about things like this when evaluating a new city is a waste of time. There are people of all types literally everywhere, and you'll find who you're looking for. The relative proportion of certain types of people might be correlated to certain industries/interests, but your involvement in those things is all on you.

Can you tell I'm from the east coast by reading this?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 PM

210 posts, read 251,681 times
Pets certainly get plenty of love and attention in Portland. My guess is they were likely far more interested in your dog than in you. Had you been walking alone, it probably would have been a different scenario.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 PM

793 posts, read 1,340,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
My guess is they were likely far more interested in your dog than in you.

pdwpdx isn't passive at all!

Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 PM

587 posts, read 915,211 times
Can you spend a few weeks there to see if you like the vibe? It would be much more informative. I've found that a lot of places that look good on paper aren't really my cup of tea when I get there... and places that I didn't think I would like really click.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
As for the comment "dude I have to work 6 hours today..." is that all of Portland? Portland consists solely of some 20 something slackers? It's so obnoxious to decide that maybe 20% of the population defines all of Portland.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Ever thought about Denver? perhaps Austin?
We have considered Austin. I would say after Portland, Seattle would be next on the list or perhaps international. I probably wouldn't go for Denver just because if we're going to make this effort and spend the money on a long-distance move, we'd rather escape the snow.

Would you like to make a case for Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland