Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM

88 posts, read 108,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
No. That's an outer SE area that's fairly run down. If they were advertising it for $1100 or so it might be believable. But $750 even for that area is bogus. You might be able to find a 2 bedroom apartment in a 70s complex with no amenities for $750 in that area, if you're lucky.

I got a reply on the Marion house in my email just now, here it is:

Thanks for your interest in regards my property. Yes the house is still available for rent at a reduced price and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house, now that we are not around. My wife and i just traveled to Nigeria for a program called Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, Poverty and Lack of Education. The program involves countries which are in The UK , Spain and Germany . We will be away for 2 to 3 years or more, that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to who ever that will take good care of it. Also, how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in?

Sooooo, seems a tic off to me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
I'd say that you need to budget more like $1500-2000 for a basic 2bedroom house. And the $1500 houses will go in a day unless there's a really good reason for it. There are still deals to be had but that's the kind of thing you'll see by finding a sign up in a neighborhood (elderly owners who aren't internet savvy as an example) but there are very few "deals" on the internet that would last more than an hour. Unless they're scams.

Here's some realistic ads for no frills 2 bedroom homes:
Charming 2 Bed Montavilla Cottage near Mt. Tabor w/Spacious Backyard
Adorable traditional 2br 1bth 40th and BoiseSE
Classic Home in Great Neighborhood!

I'd be shocked if the one on 40th and Boise wasn't rented already--that's a good deal actually for the area.

And for nicer ones (like the Laurelhurst ad you asked about)
Charming Mount Tabor home!
Furnished 2 bedroom Plus bonus Room House In Sabin Neighborhood
Beautiful Southwest Hills house in the Portland Heights Neighborhood

Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpygirl40 View Post
So, what happens when a person contacts these places to inquire about renting? What is in it for them to list a bogus listing on Trulia or Zillow?
I don't know but if you google those numbers you'll see they have homes for rent around the county plus lots of used cars for sale. They're making it work for them somehow.

Edit: just saw the Nigeria response. That's hilarious. I'm sure they'd want you to wire them cash too. Who would move to Nigeria and THEN attempt to rent their house?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I don't know but if you google those numbers you'll see they have homes for rent around the county plus lots of used cars for sale. They're making it work for them somehow.

Edit: just saw the Nigeria response. That's hilarious. I'm sure they'd want you to wire them cash too. Who would move to Nigeria and THEN attempt to rent their house?
I think they work a number of angles - deposits, ID theft (SSN/DOB was part of the "application" that was sent to me), or even just the old stand-by of getting your account numbers directly by asking you for them.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the listings, they are closer to what I thought rent would be! Busts my bubble a bit, but hey, that is life! Still better than rental prices in the Napa Valley!

I was pretty skeptical about the Nigerian thing too! Of course there was a rental application attached, so that we can provide them with all of our information! Maybe they need someone in the US to simply deposit a check for them.....

Oops! Oldtintype, thanks for the listings!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Me too! There was an application included. How horrible! Though I work in the legal field, dishonesty and plain horribleness still surprises me.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 PM

What property management company are most of the scams listed under? Is A&G Rental Management, LLC a legitimate business?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM

I wrote and this is the response I got (identity theft anyone?):

Hello,

It gives me great joy to know that you have interest in my lovely house,its still very much available for rent and ready for immediate occupancy. I am sure you would be asking yourself why my rent is low, that's because i am not too keen about the amount in renting the house out but to whom i am renting the house out to. My intention is to rent my house to someone that is responsible and be ready to take great care of the house as if it were his or hers. I am very certain that you would love the comfy of the house.

I would like you to know that i am giving this house out for rent because i have been posted to West Africa as an Pediatrician (kid's doctor) and would spend couple of years before i would be through with my assignment here. So my family and i have decided that we would be moving to our other home in Seattle, Washington when we get back to the states,i would like you to complete the tenant application form below and please be honest with these details to enable us choose the right tenant.

Note" do not contact the sign in front of the house and i also wrote it is for sale (But it is rent to own option) i don't want any agent to take advantage of my property i indicate zip realty to scare them away.

HOUSE FEATURES:

High Ceilings
Stainless Steel Appliances
Formal Dining Room
Separate Kitchen,
Brand New Cabinets,
Electric Cooker,
dish washer & Refrigerator
Washer and Dryer in the apartment also.

COMPLETE THE TENANT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

RENT APPLICATION FORM.

FIRST NAME:__________?
MIDDLE NAME:__________?
LAST NAME:__________?
PROFESSION:__________?
PHONE:
(CELL)PHONE__________?
(WORK)PHONE__________?
(HOME)PHONE__________?
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________?
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________?
CITY: _______________?
STATE:______________?
ZIP CODE: ____________
HOW LONG? ___________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING__________?
IF THIS HOUSE IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET: _____________?
KIND OF PETS: _____________?
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE ______________ ?
DO YOU DRINK ______________?
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____?

After i have received these details above, i would discuss with my family and let you know my terms and how we would conclude the Lease process so you can move into the house asap.

I hope to hear from you soonest....

Regard,

James J Dugan and Family.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:54 PM

And I love how he says not to contact the for sale agency listed in front of the house LOL. I wonder if the realty company is aware that someone's using their photos and listing info to scam people. And how do they get it shut down?

Old 01-26-2015, 01:25 PM

Do not contact the listing agent! I never knew these scams existed until today! I would of course never fill something such as a rental application out without knowing who I was sending it to, but still, it is so awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland