Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 PM

32 posts, read 114,008 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I currently live in Chandler, AZ. I had planned to move to Durango, CO in the spring to get my 15 mo old and 3 year old out of the polluted, superficial phoenix area.

Plans have changed. I just learved that the big oil companies will be drilling for shale to make oild all throughout the western slope area in Colorado as well as Utah and Wyoming. Bottom line is, when they do this, they destroy the environment, air quality, water quality, and soil. The place where they need workers will be overwhelmed with grown, and so on, and so on. I am trying to get away from this! So I am not mving there.

I don't fit in out here. I am 25, environmentally concious, I love organic food, no makeup, no chemically tainted food, beauty products, cleaning products, etc. I hate traffic, I am learning to make my own herbal tinctures as I do not believe in western "medicine", I am very interested in being part of a political revolution, I love my kids, my husband, my books and a hot cup of green tea.

Oregon, specifically Portland area, seems like it might be a good fit for me....what do you think?

I have read through about 8 hours of forums, but I have a question still.

I plan to home school, so I don't really care about school districts, I do not practice a specific religion that requires me to assemble anywhere, I want to be away from pollution and traffic, away from crime, but in a town where my children won't be bored to death and get involved in Meth when they are in highschool, so close to entertainment and activities. I don't want to live in a redneck town, but I don't want to live in Lake Oswego either.

What would be the best places either in Portland or on the outskirts for a young, vibrant hippie mama who has to have a Natural Food store close!?!
Oh, also I have heard your law enforcement in some area's act like nazi's (Beaverton) so not real interested in a place like that either.

Thanks for reading my ramble!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:21 PM

23 posts, read 70,142 times
Do you want to just want to leave the State of Arizona or have you considered, Flagstaff Az

Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 PM

24 posts, read 79,628 times
Sounds like you would like Eugene. Have you looked into it? Definitely lots of earthy, liberal, organic people. College town, not so small that there's nothing to do but not big enough to have big city type crime.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 AM

49 posts, read 232,884 times
It's sounds like you would like Cottage Grove. It's in the central part of the state. The last time I was there they were having a outdoor fair in the park. It appears to have a large hippy population, they were all there selling their items and I saw several health food stores. It's a nice little town with lots of beautiful murals painted on the buildings.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 PM

920 posts, read 2,805,321 times
Have you considered Eugene?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 PM

31 posts, read 123,948 times
Definitely another vote for Eugene. Cottage Grove is too small and will have too many rednecks for your taste. Honestly, Eugene sounds like your place. Check out south or east Eugene.

I'm not sure you will find that community in Portland without the traffic you hate.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM

12 posts, read 55,674 times
I lived in Portland area for several years, left because of traffic. There are plenty of liberals there though and I am not sure how they feel about allowing you to homeschool in Oregon, since it is such a liberal state and the schools are all liberal, they might frown on your lack of support. Also there is crime in Portland, quite a bit. They built a big jail there (liberals did) that cost a large fortune and of course taxed people in Multnomah county quite a bit more, but they can't use it cause they didn't do the numbers correctly so it sits empty. I lived in Beaverton the entire time I was there, but never met any of the police officers, so I don't know about that attitude you mentioned.
Good luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fam421 View Post
Do you want to just want to leave the State of Arizona or have you considered, Flagstaff Az
I actually grew up in Sedona, and Flagstaff really isn't appealing to me. I really am just deadset on Oregon now. I really love that it seems like people are very politically aware and active...you sure don't see that out here!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonaly View Post
Sounds like you would like Eugene. Have you looked into it? Definitely lots of earthy, liberal, organic people. College town, not so small that there's nothing to do but not big enough to have big city type crime.
Actually since I last posted this, I have looked into Eugene, and I agree that it looks like it would be perfect. Never having been to Oregon, I am a little concerned that I will end up in a bad part of town and not realize it until I have been there a while. I want this to be my last move until my girls go to college or whatever they choose to do at 18, and so I want to make sure to be in a part of town or close enough to town where I can have at least an acre...or ten to garden, but not more than 20 minutes from local activities and jobs.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv the outdoors View Post
It's sounds like you would like Cottage Grove. It's in the central part of the state. The last time I was there they were having a outdoor fair in the park. It appears to have a large hippy population, they were all there selling their items and I saw several health food stores. It's a nice little town with lots of beautiful murals painted on the buildings.
I did look into Cottage Grove, but a realtor told me it is about 30-40 minutes from Eugene, and I just couldn't justify making that trek everyday with the prices of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland