U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,043 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working with Nvidia at the Beaverton office starting April 2015. We are trying to figure out if we should live in Portland and he should do the commute? Or live in Beaverton if the commute is too much of a pain. He would prefer to drive or take public transportation even if it means a bit of a walk to the station. A 45 minute commute seems reasonable to him - either by car or public transport. Can you suggest which parts of Portland would make for a shorter commute to Beaverton? We would like a nice neighborhood with access to restaurants, museums and things to do as I will not be working when we first get there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:02 AM

10,944 posts, read 19,238,993 times
The general rule is to live on the same side of the Willamette as you work.

Nvidia is quite a ways west of Portland. Were I you I would live west of the Tualatin Ridge (Portland's west hills) in a location convenient for you. Looking online I don't think transit access to Nvidia is all that good so he will likely choose to drive.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:33 AM

892 posts, read 1,494,724 times
It seems like Nvidia is near Tanasbourne which has a lot of development and several apartment complexes are near there. If I were you, I would try to find one with a 6 month lease near his job. That would give you enough time afterwards to try and find some place which would suit you better. Plus, if you find a job in those intervening months, you could accommodate a new place which you both could commute nicely from.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:29 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,712,439 times
Nvidia's office is not far from the #48 bus along Cornell Rd. There are lots of housing options on Cornell, including some across the street from the bus stop, a short walk from the office. Along with all the stores, restaurants and theatres in the immediate area, the #48 bus takes you to the Sunset Transit Center and the light rail line (MAX) to Portland.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:03 AM

Thanks for all the responses! This was helpful!
We are thinking of looking for a 6 month lease close to Nvidia and pushing the decision for later! We are thinking of Goose hollow cos it seems like the commute is about 45 minutes in rush hour. Living in the city just seems more appealing right now as we will eventually move to the suburbs when we buy a house.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:19 AM

609 posts, read 746,021 times
Traffic here is pretty bad. I would live as close to work as possible and visit other areas on the weekend.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,935 times
I work at NVIDIA in Beaverton. From Goose Hollow, the commute in the morning will be OK. The evenings will be bad, especially during the rainy season. It's pretty easy at NVIDIA to shift your work hours to avoid rush hours, so I would consider that. Avoid Hwy 217 whatever you do.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaz View Post
I work at NVIDIA in Beaverton. From Goose Hollow, the commute in the morning will be OK. The evenings will be bad, especially during the rainy season. It's pretty easy at NVIDIA to shift your work hours to avoid rush hours, so I would consider that. Avoid Hwy 217 whatever you do.
There are options... Burnside and Cornell Road. The former would likely be better to Goose Hollow. The issue with Cornell Road is the 4-way stop at Lovejoy & 25th.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM

Ok..Got it! Goose hollow, isn't too bad. Will check out Burnside too! Thanks!
Sounds like the commute is pretty bad unless you avoid rush hours..so we may just end up looking for a place close to work!

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 PM

From Goose Hollow drive west on Jefferson and you will be on Hgy 26 (a freeway) just west of the tunnel. While traffic can be heavy it is rarely at a standstill.

The reverse commute is another matter as traffic heading east backs up as it sorts itself out west of the tunnel preparing to merge N or S on I-405. There is an exit to Jefferson before the tunnel which itself is always clear but the backup often stacks itself as far west as the Zoo exit.

If a Goose Hollow resident exits at the Zoo one can get home using local streets, a beautiful but slow drive through Washington Park. On rare occasion events at the Zoo during the summer make that option untenable - easy to see because traffic backs up at that exit and ODOT places warning signs.

Another option is to exit at Sylvan, transverse the hill to Burnside Street and turn right. I don't think that saves much time but it does save on frustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland