Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times

Advertisements

I think tolls are the way to go. It is frustrating to me to not know how (where) to pay tolls on each bridge. I would love it if there was one E-Z Pass type system up and down the west coast.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 02-27-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,699,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think tolls are the way to go. It is frustrating to me to not know how (where) to pay tolls on each bridge. I would love it if there was on E-Z Pass type system up and down the west coast.
I would be willing to pay a toll not to sit in the 1-5 and 205 at times when it turns into a parking lot. Long as it doesn't get out of hand like Florida where there is a toll every few miles.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 PM

Even in the Bay Area they do not toll every few miles, just bridges and some express lanes where the care has only one occupant.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,515,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm not trying to tax my way out of any specific problem. Simply put, Washington drivers who don't have any skin in the game need to throw a few bones our way if they want to take advantage of sales-tax free shopping.
Not trying to start a fight or anything, just offering some ideas.

I think the idea that Washingtonians come in droves to take advantage of Oregon's tax free shopping is over blown. For one thing purchasing a car in Oregon does nothing. The taxes are paid at the DMV when registering. If the idea of being tax free was so inciting why are there so many retail stores and restaurants all over Vancouver? Let's not forget Washingtonians spending money in Oregon instead of Washington is an equally good thing for Oregon. I have found that the attraction of WA residents who also work in WA to tax free shopping in Oregon is actually pretty minimal. The people who work in OR and live in WA aren't really free loading as they pay income tax and spend tons of money in gas. As a person who lives in OR and works in WA, I think I can safely say that I see just as many OR plates in Columbia House center parking lot as I do WA plates at Jantzen Beach.

I have tried to research this but the numbers don't exist. If anyone should levy a tax for crossing the bridge it should be Washington on Washingtonians spending their money in Oregon avoiding paying WA sales tax.

Do people from Battle Ground go to Best Buy at Cascade station and buy $2000 TVs? of course but that is money taken away from Washington's economy and given to Oregon's. This is why we have seen no legislation or tolls ever levied against WA resident or OR residents in either direction and why it does not make sense to do so.

I-84 through the gorge sucks because I-84 sucks, it very little to do with WA residents avoiding SR 14. Same with any of Portlands roads. The roads in my neighborhood are 3rd world country bad, but I can't blame anyone but the city of Milwaukie.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 AM

32,485 posts, read 47,425,133 times
So many people are so eager to saddle themselves with new taxes.

The people who live in Washington and work in Oregon are already paying Oregon state income taxes.

The people who live in Washington and shop in Oregon are bringing their Washington money over the bridge to support Oregon businesses. Then the Oregon businesses pay taxes on that money. I'd much rather that all those shoppers spend in Oregon and support Oregon businesses than to have them keep their money in Wshington.

You Portlanders who are so keen for tolls on I-5 are depending upon I-5 to receive all the goods that you use and need to live. So place the tolls and be prepared for the cost of your groceries, your furniture, your medication, and your gasoline to go up.

For traffic congestion, a bigger bridge might help-- oh that's right, you Portlanders in your wisdom are putting in an expensive new bridge that doesn't add any more lanes. New bridge, same traffic congestion, higher taxes. And, oh wait, aren't you putting in another gazillion dollar bridge that is only for bicycles? Maybe you ought to charge the bikes a toll.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 AM

32,485 posts, read 47,425,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
....... a toll should be levied on all south-bound traffic. Oregon residents and all people paying income tax in Oregon do not need to pay the toll. .......
Your no toll for Oregonians just reminded me...

The state campgrounds in Oregon used to be $6 a night and $4 a night for Oregon residents. The Oregonians were paying for the parks with their tax dollars, so they got a discount for the camping. That offended the Washingtonians, so their campsites had signs up that informed that campsites were $6 a night for everyone except for people with Oregon plates. Oregonians had to pay $8 a night.

If you impose a $10 toll on Washington plates headed south, there will very soon be a tool booth on the northbound lanes charging cars with Oregon plates the same, or higher toll.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,076,371 times
I doubt that Washington state will give Oregon a list of Washington license plates with addresses in order for Oregon to bill their residents.

Doing so manually would create traffic tie ups and decrease the number of Washingtonians coming dow to increase Oregon business and the income of Oregon workers paying income tax.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:21 PM

241 posts, read 384,411 times
just look at the East Coast and the EZPass system....works wonders.

I think it's a great idea for any border crossing.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM

The I-5 bridge over the Columbia is warn out, it needs to be replaced. One good shake and there she goes. The only question on the table is how to pay for it. Because of the volume of commuter traffic over the bridge currently I do not think the Feds will help fund it without an extension of the MAX line.

Personally adding more lanes to the bridge won't help much because there isn't enough capacity between the bridge exit 307 (Marine Drive) and about exit 296 (Capital Highway) to handle more traffic.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Your no toll for Oregonians just reminded me...

The state campgrounds in Oregon used to be $6 a night and $4 a night for Oregon residents. The Oregonians were paying for the parks with their tax dollars, so they got a discount for the camping. That offended the Washingtonians, so their campsites had signs up that informed that campsites were $6 a night for everyone except for people with Oregon plates. Oregonians had to pay $8 a night.

If you impose a $10 toll on Washington plates headed south, there will very soon be a tool booth on the northbound lanes charging cars with Oregon plates the same, or higher toll.
You say that like it would affect Oregonians, most would never drive to Vancouver unless it was to keep going to Seattle. A southbound toll would have a bigger affect on Washingtonians.

As for the bridge, being able to eliminate the draw bridge completely would do wonders for traffic congestion. The current bridge creates a weird path for ships to get through which causes them to go at an even slower rate, which delays traffic even more. Adding more lanes is less of an issue than getting rid of the draw bridge.

Also with Vancouver building an urban waterfront district, it would have made sense for them to have light rail running over the bridge to at least connect to their downtown. Shame Washington was too short sighted for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland