Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,109,892 times

Advertisements

I currently live in MI and have been a homeowner forever. We are seriously considering a move out of this state due to a very poor economic situation. However, we have animals and since I have never rented before Im wondering how easy going are landlords with animals in Portland? Here in MI its acceptable to have one cat or one small dog etc if you rent. I wish I could just purchase a home in Portland but I think it would be quite some time before I could afford to do so and also I would like to get a feel of the area before purchasing. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,617,039 times
Check out the listings on the Oregon Humane Society website and there is also a property management company here who rents specifically to pet owners. I can't think of the name of it right now but I believe it's listed on the OHS site.
When I moved here I had two dogs and a cat. We made a pet resume for the animals and proved they were well trained, social, etc. That made the difference for us for finding a place.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:32 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,034,128 times
when we moved, we called around to various property management companies and told them we had 2med. sized dogs, 2 birds, and a 55gallon tank, and they were very helpful. the place we ended up renting for a bit, originally didnt take people w/pets, but we offered to pay an extra pet deposit, they made an exception, and all worked out well. Just be upfront and honest, and do expect to pay an extra deposit....i love Oldtintypes suggestion of the pet resume!!! very cool.
portland is very dog friendly, so i think you and your furries will be fine.
Let us know!
Tiffany

Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 PM

42 posts, read 142,257 times
Another suggestion is Craig's List. There are hundreds of rental listings and you can see only the ones that will accept dogs and/or cats. I used Craig's List to rent a condo I own in NW Portland and had excellent response as well as a long list of applications. They can be found at craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,109,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Check out the listings on the Oregon Humane Society website and there is also a property management company here who rents specifically to pet owners. I can't think of the name of it right now but I believe it's listed on the OHS site.
When I moved here I had two dogs and a cat. We made a pet resume for the animals and proved they were well trained, social, etc. That made the difference for us for finding a place.
Wow, a pet resume. Very cool unique idea! Thanks for the info.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,617,039 times
Include an attractive photo too! And don't call around asking over the phone if they allow pets (apart from if it's a rental agency/property management). Many times if the landlord meets you, gets a good feel and happens to get your pet resume with your application (which is how we did it twice), they'll be more open to the idea of a pet than up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland