Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:28 PM

23 posts, read 34,853 times

Advertisements

Is the area around West Burnside Street and NW 23rd Avenue safe? It's the area around the Japanese Garden. Would you say it's safe? Especially for a young female to walk around alone? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 AM

421 posts, read 410,928 times
Hi,it's been a few years since I lived in NW, but safe to say you're good in the daytime. NItetime should be with friend. It's a thriving business area, but not really safe at nite for lone female.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
The area you mention is very safe but bad people are mobile. I am a female and wouldn't hesitate to walk alone from my apartment to Zupan's (Burnside at 23rd) in the dark because there are lots of walkers in my neighborhood. I just wouldn't do that between 10 pm and 5 am because of the chance of encountering a drunk or someone up to something they didn't want others to see.

The Japanese Garden is in Washington Park on it's north-most border - adjoining very upscale homes. The park closes at 10 pm. Very safe but the same common sense standard stated in the last sentence of the paragraph above applies.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the responses.

What do you think about walking on West Burnside from the west to NW 24th? I'm a little concerned that there is no sidewalk right there. I'd have to walk in the street or on the sloping terrain. It's weird that there is a sidewalk on the other side of the street, and a bus stop on both sides of the street. You can see what I am talking about here. I'd be walking for a short distance to get to NW 24th when the sidewalk starts, but how fast do the cars go and do they watch for pedestrians? I saw someone was killed crossing the street around there in 2012 by someone who had been drinking but otherwise couldn't find much info.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM

There are much better walking options from 23rd & Burnside to the Japanese Gardens. On the south side of Burnside walking west you will find a path going up into the park. There are actually two paths, one that is a former roadway, another that is pedestrian size.

Maybe I am lazy but I would access the Japanese Gardens using this bus: TriMet: 83-Washington Park Loop The hill is quite a hike (think San Francisco steep) and the locals who use that bus are really welcoming to tourists.

Bus up, walk down.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
There are much better walking options from 23rd & Burnside to the Japanese Gardens. On the south side of Burnside walking west you will find a path going up into the park. There are actually two paths, one that is a former roadway, another that is pedestrian size.

Maybe I am lazy but I would access the Japanese Gardens using this bus: TriMet: 83-Washington Park Loop The hill is quite a hike (think San Francisco steep) and the locals who use that bus are really welcoming to tourists.

Bus up, walk down.
I am not trying to walk to the Japanese Gardens -- I am trying to walk from west to east up West Burnside to NW 24th Street. So from the area of the Japanese Gardens up to the area with shops and businesses. Looking at street view, I could try to walk along the dirt along West Burnside. There is a bit of a slope, which me a little nervous, but there is a curb too. There is a sidewalk on the other side of the street, but if the cars move fast then I don't think I'd even want to jaywalk and cross to it. I am looking at a place in that area, and I wanted to walk to cafes etc. I do have a car, so I guess if the street makes me that nervous, I'll drive and park somewhere and then walk around. Not ideal, but for my timeframe and what I was looking for, I had trouble finding anything right in the heart of the west side of the river.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:54 PM

The short street behind Uptown shopping center is the start of NW 24th, accessible all the way on the side walk. It continues north after you cross Westover. You don't reach it by walking further west on Burnside.

Were I you, and I am well into my 70s, and wanted to walk along NW 24th from 23rd and Burnside I would cross 23rd, walk a few steps north, turn and walk up Westover past Everett Street (the streets in the area are in alphabetical order) and where Flanders Street intersects you will find NW 24th. Sidewalk all the way. https://www.google.com/maps/place/NW...9f0f01bb154be3

The environment is exactly what you are looking for.

The condos on NW Uptown Terrace are NOT what you are seeking. Getting there does require walking further up Burnside in the vicinity of your picture, a very busy street, then going up a very steep entrance.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:00 PM

I don't mind the steep entrance. I have lived in San Francisco. I just don't know how safe it is to walk up and down West Burnside. Clearly people do it -- there are people literally doing it in the Google Streetview map, but it makes me sort of nervous.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandphi View Post
Hi,it's been a few years since I lived in NW, but safe to say you're good in the daytime. NItetime should be with friend. It's a thriving business area, but not really safe at nite for lone female.
I agree. I generally feel safe in that area, but I've been mugged around 5th and Burnside before. Uptown definitely feels quite a bit safer than the area around Big Pink and Old Town, but it's not without its "weirdos". I'd probably be more wary than I am if I was a girl.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafemocha View Post
I don't mind the steep entrance. I have lived in San Francisco. I just don't know how safe it is to walk up and down West Burnside. Clearly people do it -- there are people literally doing it in the Google Streetview map, but it makes me sort of nervous.
Then don't do it. It really is that simple. Nell is telling you its safe. My own knowledge of the area says it is about as safe as it gets in urban Portland. But if you are still sort of nervous at the prospect, don't do it. I don't want it on my conscience, and I'm sure Nell doesn't want it on hers that because of our encouragemnet you boldly went and had a very bad day. Have your groceries delivered, and get your other needs through Amazon. You won't find safety by going down another street or by moving to a "safer" area. There aren't any safer areas. As Nell said, muggers are mobile. It makes sense that muggers would do their Apple Picking in Goose Hollow because... that's where they are going to find more Apples per square mile than... say... West Hillsboro. Your gender is irrelevant.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: