Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 22,418 times

Advertisements

there are several of these threads from various people across the country wondering if they should or shouldn't move to portland, so I figured I'd tell you all about my self and you can help me decide. (Thats if you have something knowledgeable and helpful to say). Ok here it is:

I'm 25 years old, grew up in Albuquerque and went to school on the Central Coast of CA (Cal Poly, SLO).

I moved back to ABQ to live here as a newlywed and be around family and stuff.....but now its time to go somewhere else.

I'm sick already (after 18 months) of the suburbs and I want to live in a downtown area where I can walk places (bars, cafes, venues..)

I'm an Engineer at a big company, don't know if thats the career for me but it pays the bills well for now. Considering a career in finance (investment banking, portfolio managing, etc).

Weather: I've only lived in really, really good weather in my life. ABQ has amazing sunshine and seasons, central CA is perfectly temperate. I think I can handle the "gloom" of Portland, since so many other people seem to do just fine with it. I've just never experienced it for more than a week or so.

I'm moderate politically, left on some social and foriegn policy issues, rightish on some moral issues.

Thats enough about me...Can/Should I make my new home in Portland. Can I get a job? Will the beer sustain me through the winter???

Other options are Denver and Bend, OR. Or maybe Nicaragua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 PM

42 posts, read 142,483 times
I think you would fit in fine in the Portland area. Your wanting to be in a downtown location with easy access to the venues you mentioned is one of the cool things about Portland. If you are located downtown, you can have an easy walk to many locations. Portland's blocks are shorter than most cities and thus it seems quicker to get places. Job wise, you seem to be young, educated with a good back ground. You shouldn't have many difficulties finding a satisfying position. Regarding the weather.....it is something that you will get used to or you will leave. Over 2 million people (and growing fast) call the Portland area home and most accept it as a fact of life. The main thing is what kind of attitude you bring with you about it. If you wake up and are miserable because it is overcast or raining, then you will not be a good fit. If on the other hand you have a good attitude about the day, you will do just fine. And finally, regarding the political climate in Portland. The city tends to be quite liberal on most issues however there is a conservative factor in the burbs and outlying areas that is well known. GW is not very popular in Portland, so if you love the guy, keep it to yourself!! )

Make your decision and if you come, enjoy what Portland has to offer and you will be in a very good place (literally and mentally).

Old 01-12-2008, 02:31 PM

31 posts, read 124,248 times
I can give you a bit of a comparison between Portland and Bend, as I currently live in Portland; I moved here from Bend. By comparison, I mean explaining how they are polar opposites. And of course, these are my perceptions but I will try to be as objective as possible.

Bend is a MUCH smaller community than Portland. It is probably around 100,000 people now. It has been growing massively (and I mean that with no exaggeration) in the last few years, with a very large influx of wealthy people from California (among other places of course). It started as southern Californians and moved north. At this point, it feels more like California than Oregon to me, and not in a good way. It is a town with a very resort-like feel to it. You see fancy people in fancy SUVs everywhere. It used to be a VERY down to earth kind of place, and in my view that has changed tremendously. The general job market in Bend is really low-paying, although as an Engineer you may be fine. I would suggest some research. Bend is a place that really shows you the polarity between the haves and have-nots. There are many people in Bend who don't even work - most who came there had money already and weren't expecting to get jobs in Bend so the majority of the jobs were for those in service positions, there to serve the rich folks. It is also a big "family" kind of place. As a person without children, I became tired of getting run-over by strollers and feeling like I could never go anywhere without being bothered by screaming kids. On the plus side, many people prefer the climate of Bend over that of Portland. It is a high desert climate, so winters are cold and snowy; summers are hot and DRY. There isn't really much in between, although fall can be nice up until the end of September. The sun shines in Bend much more frequently than Portland. There is a TON of outdoor stuff to do in Bend, which is why many people go there. Snow sports, road and mountain biking, rafting, kayaking, rock climbing. Which brings me to the other point - another large population in Bend is that of super-duper athletes. The average joe begins to feel very inferior in Bend. There are neighborhoods where you can walk to bars, restaurants, etc. There just isn't much cultural activity in Bend.

Portland is obviously a much bigger city, and comes with the typical differences that would provide: more diversity in communities, opinions, politics, and generally just a bigger mix of people. I found it very hard to break through and make friends in Bend; I have found it very easy in Portland. Job opportunities in Portland would likely be much more bountiful than in Bend. I'm not sure what type of engineering you do, but there is a lot of architecture/development work that happens in this city and I'm assuming they're all using engineers. The nice thing about Portland is that it has a pretty good variety of neighborhoods to choose from; many are very distinct in their personalities so it wouldn't be hard to find one that was a fit for you. The weather is probably the one thing that may get you down. As many others have said, it just depends on the person. It doesn't bother me, but my husband hates it so much that he's constantly wanting to move somewhere else! So definitely be cognizant of it, but just know that there are many other positives that can overcome the weather.

Hope that helps. I don't know much about Denver, but it's actually a place we've considered looking into for the next move. (more sun!).

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 22,418 times
Default Rent

Thanks for the feedback so far. Another question: Does anyone know FROM EXPERIENCE what the average cost of rent is for an apartment/condo within walking distance to the "finer things" of Downtown? I've been a craigslist a bit, but I don't know the neighborhoods that well, so... Looking for a place from 700-1,000 sq. ft. One or Two bedrooms.

Also, are there any free-standing houses nearby? We have a large dog and a high rise may not be the best thing.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:52 PM

42 posts, read 142,483 times
One bedrooms in downtown and/or NW Portland can run from $800 to about $1200 a month. The Pearl District can be a bit more with one bedrooms running around $1400 to $1500 a month. 2 Bedrooms run anywhere from $1200 to $1800 and the Pearl up to $2500 in the nicer, newer buildings. Freestanding homes are quite pricey close to downtown and in NW, but there is a close in neighborhood called Lair Hill with older homes that might meet your needs. Remember, these rents are not typical to the Portland area in general, it is just that you are inquiring about some of the more costly areas for rentals.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM

27 posts, read 89,979 times
ABQ to PDX - be careful. I am an Albuquerquean also, have been in Portland 20 years, and I am planning to move soon. Portland itself is great. Downtown is fun - it doesn't close down at 5:00 p.m. like a lot of cities do, it has culture, restaurants, fun spots, parks, etc. Pearl District is a lot of fun, as a young 20 something you will love that part. However, one of the reasons it is so pretty and green is because it does rain, a lot. And coming from New Mexico I never have gotten used to it. But that's me. I'd advise you to come visit for a couple of weeks during the rainy season (October - June). July - September are usually gorgeous. I survived by planning trips to sunny spots several times a year. In fact I'm on my way to Albuquerque in a week or so.

But there is good beer and wine and that may help!

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Question a young person's city

Lots of what you describe sound wonderful for twenty-somethings. Is Portland a nice place for older people , also?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
As someone wrote, Bend is smaller.

Bend, way the heck out by itself, isn't much bigger than a single suburb of Portland like Beaverton.

Portland is such a good size city, that fitting-in wouldn't be a problem.

Usually what seems to matter even more, is if people adapt to the weather.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:45 PM

15 posts, read 39,987 times
I live in ABQ now and have been for a WHILE! cannot handle the dry anymore or the desert. I am picking up and moving my life. I have never done this (huge truck, packing, probably hiring drivers?) and as suggested will take a trip about 2 weeks before the move to secure an apt. then fly back, pack up and drive. Questions: has anyone done this and are there any suggestions on truck companies?; what area would you suggest for apt 1-2 br around $650-700 range? also any suggestions on "good" and "safe" hostels if I need somewhere to saty while looking for apt?
Any info would be great!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:12 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelg11 View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. Another question: Does anyone know FROM EXPERIENCE what the average cost of rent is for an apartment/condo within walking distance to the "finer things" of Downtown? I've been a craigslist a bit, but I don't know the neighborhoods that well, so... Looking for a place from 700-1,000 sq. ft. One or Two bedrooms.

Also, are there any free-standing houses nearby? We have a large dog and a high rise may not be the best thing.
We live on the southern edge of Goose Hollow (downtown) and around here (south of the MAX station) there are tons of old victorian/old single family homes. Some have been made into apartments, some are still single family homes. I see them for rent sometimes. It's a perfect location apart from the fact that there isn't a close by park, BUT you can walk up Jefferson (west) and intersect with the edge of Washington Park and have miles of area to walk/play with your dog. It's about a mile walk to be in the middle of everything (park wise). If you want to be close to things check out areas such as Goose Hollow, King's Hill, Nob Hill, Alphabet Blocks, NW 23rd, the Pearl, NW 21st, etc. Things have gotten pricey and there's more competition for units now so that has people freaked out, but it's not that bad really compared to other cities. We pay $940 for a 2 bedroom with free high speed internet and have a dog. I think going rate for such a thing is more like $1100-$1200 right now (in Goose Hollow), though you can find nice large 1 beds for a lot less. I think you just have to do the footwork to find deals now--walk around, ask around, etc. Just don't depend on craigslist. A lot of things still rent via a sign in the window. There's an amazing one bedroom near me in a small brick building, large, hard wood floors, in goose hollow, for $800 and comes with free parking. I think it's only been advertised via a sign in the window. Just an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland