Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times

Advertisements

Bi-Mart is good but it's not really an alternative to Costco. There really isn't another store like Costco around here. Bi-Mart is more like a discount version of Target.

The local Costco is at 158th and Jenkins, not far from another nice hiking site, Tualatin Hills Nature Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Bi-Mart is good but it's not really an alternative to Costco. There really isn't another store like Costco around here. Bi-Mart is more like a discount version of Target.

The local Costco is at 158th and Jenkins, not far from another nice hiking site, Tualatin Hills Nature Park.
Good way to walk off the blood pressure after patiently (i.e. without bad words or actionable choices) waiting behind aisle-obstructing meanderers who do not register that anyone else could be trying to get past while they decide between the 55-gallon drums of grape jam and orange marmalade. Kennewick's was atrocious for that, and Boise's is not much better.

If Bi-Mart doesn't charge too much for membership, and takes Visa, though, it might be worth it. The last time I was even in one was in Yakima in about 1975, as my cousins were members. I guess Costco now either takes Visa or is considering it; haven't been there in awhile.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Bi-Marts membership is $5.00 and that is lifetime.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Bi-Marts membership is $5.00 and that is lifetime.
Heh. That's not a membership fee. That's a rather clever anti-shoplifting device. "We don't want much money, just want to know who you are." I'd never realized it cost less than a typical espresso drink.

These days I think Costco hits me for $55 or $60 per year, though I'm pretty sure that in 3-4 $400 shopping trips a year, I make it back, plus there's the convenience of being able to stock up on non-perishables and incidentally get a good deal on whatever perishables and semi-perishables we can use within the timeframe. If nothing else, my wife uses that flavored liquid coffee creamer like she owned stock in the company.

On groceries, there's a trend at Albertson's here in Boise to do away with the self-checkout and add a couple of express lanes. While their feedback is divided, I love the move, as I've always flatly refused to use the self-checkout. I wonder if Aloverton area Albies are doing the same thing, because it's shifted my shopping to favor them. We're kind of fond of QFC, though, going way back to when she first moved down from Alaska (I'll spare you the heartwarming but somewhat sappy story).

Old 03-23-2015, 08:03 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
....... I wonder if Bi-Mart will seduce me away from my long allegiance to Costco......
Costco and BiMart aren't in competition. You go to Costco and buy in bulk and you go to BiMart for smaller individual items.

BiMart is always my first stop when I am shopping for a non-Costco item. Their prices tend to be lower and their clerks a lot more pleasant and helpful than at Walmart. BiMart is a lot smaller than Walmart, so they stock fewer items.

If you fish or hunt, BiMart should be your first stop when you are looking for a new item. Only if they don't have it, do you branch out and go to the sporting goods stores. Their fishing equipment selection is especially good and geared towards PNW fishing, which can be different than fishing in the rest of the country.

There is a one time low cost lifelong membership fee for BiMart, and if you wait sometimes they have a membership promotion give you some goodies worth the price of the fee -- like a bottle of soda and a package of cookies, the membership fee isn't much money.

Also, on Tuesday, there is always a drawing of membership numbers and some small prizes.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I also recommend checking out Allan's Mexican off West Union/185th - it's kind of in this nice middle place between affordable and upscale - e.g. a salmon taco plate with homemade tortillas will run maybe $12 or so.
Okay, now it's time to make my own contribution as the research begins. Just came back from Allan's. Salsa, good. They don't have chorizo, so it won't be my place for nachos, but they do make an effort at presentation and the food was good. Wife very much enjoyed her chicken fajitas. So while Allan's is not going to be our mutual household favorite, it's a perfectly good place to eat and I think most people would like it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Swagath's at Orenco Station for a terrific Indian buffet. Beautiful, beautiful restaurant, too.

Gyros House on 205th & Baseline, in a small strip mall. I think they make some of the best gyros around, and their pizzas are very good!

Broadway Saloon in Old Town Beaverton. They have a very nice HH menu, but their regular menu is still reasonable and that the food is VERY good! One of my favorite places to eat.

I've used Bi-Mart for 19 years and have been very happy with them.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 AM

Gyro House! Our agent turned us on to it. Excellent. Not a very good sit-down environment, but many people get take-out, which obviates that problem. We will definitely be back.

If there were a Middle Eastern place that delivered, I'd probably just subscribe for weekly fixes.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:18 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Since you like Mexican food you should consider Amelia's on Main & 3rd in Hillsboro. It's a little hole-in-the-wall and the food's different (mostly Oaxacan style), and very good!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:20 AM

241 posts, read 386,418 times
BiMart & Costco aren't even lose to the same bird. Quality of products is vastly different. Couldn't pay me to shop at BiMart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland