Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Double decking freeways is an efficient use of space, but an earthquake dropped the top tier in Oakland a few years ago. Not
Not only was the Cypress Structure pancaked in the 89 earthquake, the Embarcadero freeway was heavily damaged (and torn down) as well. Double decker freeways are just plain creepy. The upper deck of the Bay Bridge collapsed as well--way too many potential issues and double decker freeways are an eyesore too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 AM

97 posts, read 503,930 times
No doubt about it. Traffic in Portland is growing exponentially as more and more people relocate here from other areas of the US.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 PM

20 posts, read 92,147 times
217 needs to be widened. Getting home at rush hour is a nightmare, and a 2 lane freeway is a joke for such a large metro area. Murray isn't a good alternative either, gets too bad between Farmington and Walker.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:14 PM

124 posts, read 501,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalverson View Post
we could definitely use some more thorough public transportation.
Yeah, a few more bike paths and they'll have this traffic problem whipped! /sarcasm

Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM

31 posts, read 124,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch71 View Post
Yeah, a few more bike paths and they'll have this traffic problem whipped! /sarcasm
Yeah, just build MORE freeways and they'll have this traffic problem whipped!! SARCASM with a capital S

That's like saying "I'm getting so fat" so instead of eating less I'll just buy bigger pants. Great solution.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 AM

107 posts, read 278,422 times
Transportation infrastructure is expensive, especially light rail, and there is a limited amount of money. Choices have to be made and people in Portland have continued to vote for people that want to spend the money on public transportation instead of road expansion and maintenance. Even is public transportation friendly Portland a majority of people have cars that they use on a regular basis, so continuing to ignore roads is probably not a good long term strategy.

What I would do is offer up highway expansion to private companies who would be willing to foot the bill 100% in exchange for revenue from the toll lanes they would add. I know people hate the idea of toll road, (mostly due to our horrendous lack of basic economic education is schools since most people think everything the government does is "free") but I think this is the only way you are going to be able to continue to spend so much on light rail/public transportation, and do some highway and road expansion.

Toll lanes would typically have less traffic, so people would have the choice to ride in the standard lanes and maybe take a little longer, or pay to get somewhere faster in the toll lanes. You could probably allow public buses on the toll lanes for free to make the idea more appealing to the general public.

I think Portlanders need to wake up to the reality that you cant have everything, there is not unlimited funds, and not enough money to expand public transportation enough to eliminate the need for new roads or expansions, its going to have to happen.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM

31 posts, read 124,238 times
Those are valid and interesting points from an economic perspective. However, my thoughts are expressed from the position that this is less of an economic issue and more of an environmental one.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Eisenhower started us down the "cars over all other forms of transit" road. In an era of unlimited oil and resources, including land, it worked great.

That was then. Increasingly we live in an era of finite resources, and what worked in 1950 isn't going to work in 2020. Look at Los Angeles, for example - adding more lanes to freeways (and adding additional freeways) just pushed the problem back another 5 years or so. I remember when the Banfield and the I-205 bridge opened - the first six months to a year, there wasn't any traffic to speak of. It didn't take long for traffic to build up. The solution isnt building another Banfield or another bridge over the Columbia every 5-10 years

Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
But, otoh , as lovethegreen says, you would not want Portland to go the way of Los Angeles or even San Francisco where the traffic has altered the ways of healthful and peaceful lives .

Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 PM

199 posts, read 800,620 times
congestion is a given in any decent sized metro. I don't care how big your freeways are. LA, Houston, Atlanta etc. have the most extensive freeways in history. They also have some of the worst gridlock. The idea that more lanes = less congestion, while it makes sense initially, ignores the reality about how traffic works. From a long term perspective more freeways will cost a lot and not solve the traffic problem. If it siphoned funds meant for transit it could make traffic worse by forcing those who would otherwise ride the train into cars. Same goes to cyclists, btw. Fact is, a cyclist is taking up a tiny fraction of the space that a driver does. If everyone cycled there we'd all get places a lot faster. The infrastructure is already there and would need very little maintenance if only bicycles used it. I know there are other factors but our cultures obsession with vehicles is very illogical from many sane perspectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland