Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I think "I Vow To Thee My Beloved Country" (the Jupiter movement of "The Planets by Gustav Holst) should have been playing softly in the background of that last post. I am bemused when arrogant and boorish people get on a soapbox about how wonderful they are, shining examples of ambition and pride in a sea of slackers. Good grief. That is the real reason you don't have any friends. Just saying
And I am amused that the only self-righteous, boorish and arrogant person I've yet to come across on this board is you. Everyone here posts their opinions, both informed and otherwise . . . . and in case you didn't get that memo, that's the purpose of this board. Some members agree or disagree with my views (and that's okay), but you're the first one to go into a little hissy snit and publicly attack me.

Why is that? Well, you've now opened yourself up for a little online analysis. You've got it coming, so be an adult and eat your just desserts raw:

Clearly, your vicious assumptions about my character find their source in the insights and observations contained in my earlier post: they offended your fragile self-esteem and, therefore, your false self, your narcissism. My comment about the thriving slacker culture here in Oregon seems to have struck a very sensitive nerve in you. I take it that I'm addressing a charter member?

For the record, I have a wide circle of friendly acquaintances and a small base of genuine friends . . . . it's just that very few of them are west coasters. Perhaps if more Oregonians weren't so complacent, got off their asses and RECIPROCATED, instead of mooched off of others (you know, what psychologists call a vital part of any HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP) they would enjoy the benefits of true friendship with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Generalizations are fun.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Friendships are formed in Portland based on common interests. Get out and participate in activities you enjoy and friendships with like minded Portlanders will be formed.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan50 View Post
For the record, I have a wide circle of friendly acquaintances and a small base of genuine friends . . . . it's just that very few of them are west coasters. Perhaps if more Oregonians weren't so complacent, got off their asses and RECIPROCATED, instead of mooched off of others (you know, what psychologists call a vital part of any HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP) they would enjoy the benefits of true friendship with others.
I am neither native nor am I a welfare slacker. And <gasp> I have friends. Your continued attacks on natives is very telling. I stand by my earlier remarks.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:02 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePortlander View Post
........The one thing I am worried about is making new friends. ......... how can I meet people? I'm very active and enjoy exploring new parts. I would love to join a few sports teams. .......
If you enjoy outdoor activities, there are walking clubs, hiking clubs, skiing clubs, and mountain climbing clubs. If you fish, there are forums for fishermen where people sometimes get together.

A good way to meet people is to sign up for classes at the junior college. Sign up for the sort of class where people must interact. Foreign language is a good choice, and so are public speaking and art classes. If you do that, though, wait until you can enroll as a resident of Oregon. Out of state fees are huge.

You can volunteer. The local humane society is a good place, if you like animals. I don't know what is available in Portland, but in my area they have things like horseback riding for the handicapped and that requires a lot of volunteers.

I think that if you look on Craigslist, there is a section where club meetings and activities are announced.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am neither native nor am I a welfare slacker. And <gasp> I have friends. Your continued attacks on natives is very telling. I stand by my earlier remarks.
I never said you were a native, nor a welfare slacker, nor even friendless, for that matter.

Employing that feverish imagination of yours - unfettered as it no doubt is by the constraints of fairness, truth or fact - think of what you could accomplish if you didn't squander your time trolling this site picking arguments and stuffing words, prejudices and ideologies into the mouths of others. Your tone and approach gives the game away: what you don't say is far more telling than what you do. If the substance of what you say is fallacious, then the shrill, defensive way in which you proclaim it undermines what scant credibility you have left over in the aftermath of this debacle.

In summary, I demonstrated empathy towards another member of this forum and while doing so made an observation on a wider trend and pattern in our society - an insight of which is shared by several noted authors and activists. I did not attack anyone. My intent was clearly and manifestly focused on a constructive, supportive act of compassion and shared insights.

Based purely on the evidence and without any due provocation, you have charged in, flailed about and made a lot of spurious accusations and allegations regarding my character and, now, politics. The emphasis of your actions have been wholly divisive, petty, spiteful in intent and destructive towards maintaining a spirit of community.

It is people like yourself who have made the internet a moral no-man's land with your lack of good critical thinking, knee-jerk responses, narcissism and a total lack of empathy for anyone else's feelings or perspectives but your own. Learn to agree to disagree like a gentleman or a lady or be relegated to sit at the kiddie's table until you can learn to act like an adult.

So, in conclusion . . . . feel free to stand by your previous remarks. Please, double-down and do so with my blessing. You are merely exercising your Constitutionally protected right to act like a braying jackass. And in this you have the fellowship of legions of trolls, griefers and bullies here in the cold, amoral void that is cyberspace. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland