Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland or San Diego
Portland 20 39.22%
San Diego 33 64.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:57 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycats View Post
Hello,

I am trying to determine which of these cities I would enjoy living in more.
Im 29 single male, looking for a city to love and settle on.
Heres an idea of the things Im interested in.

Walkable downtown, Pedestrian trails, Good public transportation.
Central places, Public Parks.
Points of interest not overly spread out.
Not overly congested people and traffic.
Enjoyable squares you can visit and meet people.
Cool spots that are unique to the city.

Maybe Paris, France or Barcelona, Spain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycats View Post
Hello,

Green and beautiful, fountains, river walks, boardwalks, piers.

San Diego is great but green? There are hardly any trees in San Diego let alone green grass. The quality of life in San Diego is good except for the high cost of living. If you can solve that piece of the puzzle, I'd go San Diego for the sunshine and coastline. But don't kid yourself, it is San Diego, not Barcelona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 05:34 PM

195 posts, read 246,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Maybe Paris, France or Barcelona, Spain?

San Diego is great but green? There are hardly any trees in San Diego let alone green grass.
I'm sure it has it's dry areas, but I was just there last month, and it has a lot of trees. Maybe not as many as Portland or Seattle, but what it lacks in volume, it makes up in variety. One of the houses I stayed at (AirBnB in La Jolla) had a giant avocado tree in the back yard -- with avocados on it. Plenty of grass as well. The city has many varieties of flowering trees all over...

Here are some figs

And some Jacaranda

And of course some palms

Old 04-18-2015, 07:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I guess if you have a lot of money it can be pretty nice living here, and you jibe with the culture and people well.
Depends on what you consider having a lot of money, my wife and I don't have a lot of money, but we budget accordingly and make the most of what we have to enjoy what Portland and Oregon has to offer. As for the culture and people, there are so many different types of people in this city and state, but when it comes to being young and single, it might seem like there is only one type of person in Portland.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on what you consider having a lot of money, my wife and I don't have a lot of money, but we budget accordingly and make the most of what we have to enjoy what Portland and Oregon has to offer. As for the culture and people, there are so many different types of people in this city and state, but when it comes to being young and single, it might seem like there is only one type of person in Portland.
That's probably what it is. It's mostly yuppie/preppie types here and wannabe hippies/slackers living off their parents' money or working part time and having no ambition. People here are just i dunno ... boring. At least the young people.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
That's probably what it is. It's mostly yuppie/preppie types here and wannabe hippies/slackers living off their parents' money or working part time and having no ambition. People here are just i dunno ... boring. At least the young people.
That is young single people anywhere, though the clothes and personality might change from place to place, young single people are the same no matter where you go.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 16,856 times
LOL. Posts about San Diego from people that don't live here always crack me up. They look up the "statistics" on the city, and decide it's wonderful based on that. I don't blame them - I did the same thing before I moved here. Came here on vacation, stayed at the beach, and decided I HAD to live here. The reality of actually living here, however, is much much different. Don't get me wrong - San Diego has a lot to offer for tourists. Legoland, SeaWorld, Zoo, Wild Animal Park are super fun. Very spread out, as is all of San Diego, but fun nonetheless.

When they talk about beautiful San Diego weather, they are speaking of within a mile of the coast. You will pay through the nose to live anywhere near the coast. Let's talk a cool million to buy a house (or close to it). I live inland, but west of the 15 (so not too far inland). July and August are ~90 degrees almost daily. Sept and Oct are ~100 almost daily. That's when we get Santa Ana winds. When you go outside, it's like standing in front of a GIANT hair dryer. Too hot to even go the park. I've lived here 15 years, and I've been through 4 major wildfires. One we were evacuated for, and one began less than a mile from my house (but, fortunately, blew in the other direction). I will say that January is absolutely gorgeous here. Perfect weather.

On the plus side, San Diego is a very safe city. And we have GREAT mexican food!

Old 05-10-2015, 10:11 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
San Diego and Portland are a world apart. I'm not sure how they can be compared.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:41 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
San Diego, I think.

If you hate cold and yearn for a warmer, closer beach then I think these would hinder your ability to adapt here. Some winters CAN get cold here, depending on the year. And they're not "short" like California or Florida.

If San Diego is looking brown then it must be due to the drought, because that is not the San Diego I saw when I was there. It isn't as hot as LA and the fertile soil produces a lot of greenery in contrast to the LA area. Now it's been a while since I've been there, so I don't know how much it's grown (population).

Also, the cities' "vibes" are not comparable. You'd need to spend a little time in each city to see how you feel and do some research.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:47 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,655 times
Besides the beach, the sun. Portland beats San Diego period

Old 05-13-2015, 01:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
The two cities are so different on every way possible. I love the beauty and size of San Diego but it is not a good fit in that the weather doesn't have seasons like Portland, it is too far South for me and it is too conservative politically for me and housing is too expensive. If those factors were not so important to me and my family then San Diego would be a dream to live in. Maybe the OP has very different criteria in which he judges a city to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland