U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,251,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah I would not buy a place that's far from where you work, I mean why bother? If you're going to spend an extra 30 minutes in the car per day even, that's 10 hours per month. That's 120 hours per year. In a decade that's 1,200 hours wasted, about the time that you could use to learn a new skill or take up a new hobby haha. I mean seriously, why do people do that?! Especially when you're talking about a cheaper area of Portland so there's no reason to be like, "Well I would live where I work, but I can't afford it." Everyone can afford Beaverton. It just makes sense to live close to where you work.

There are plenty of good houses out that way, too, nice neighborhoods just before 185th that are technically in Portland still and other houses and neighborhoods in and around Beaverton that are super nice. There's a ton of variety. I lived in Beaverton for several years in a townhouse. I admit I didn't really enjoy it because the suburbs are not my scene and our place was fairly small (1,600 sq. feet) so it's pretty boring. The best way to combat the boredom of the suburbs in Portland, though, is to go on vacation and get out of dodge. It's just about the most boring, sleepiest city I can imagine with nothing but breeders everywhere, so whether you live in Beaverton or Lake Oswego or anywhere else it's the same mediocrity when it comes to that.
I thought the term, "breeders", referring to people with kids, became passé in 15 years ago when all of us who used the term started having babies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 PM

6,856 posts, read 7,141,819 times
Eww! Haha, that's disturbing. Thankfully I am not part of that crowd! I always worried when I was younger I wouldn't be able to find a girl who felt the same way, given that girls are... well, more inclined to want little rugrats... but fortunately my girlfriend of 3.5+ years also has no desire for kids. She also has a 5-year-old brother she helped raise since he was a baby, so she has gotten that experience and doesn't feel like she would be "missing out" or something. In fact, if anything, it was a good reinforcement of why she DOESN'T want kids. Me, I've never wanted them, and at 32, that's not going to change.

Child-free life is truly amazing. Travel whenever we want, spend money as we please, get a good night's sleep every night (at least when my stupid neighbors aren't redoing their floors), etc.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,899,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I always worried when I was younger I wouldn't be able to find a girl who felt the same way, given that girls are... well, more inclined to want little rugrats... but fortunately my girlfriend of 3.5+ years also has no desire for kids.
32? You're still a youth yourself.

The true test of whether you do/don't want kids comes as you start pushing 40 and get to the point of knowing your decision starts becoming final.

You/she both truly might not and it may remain that way, or you might waver. And FWIW, I know lots of women who decide not to have kids for many reasons, and others who would like them who can't.

As a minor pet peeve, your girlfriend is probably old enough to not be a 'girl' anymore. And if she is really a girl, well, then the cops may have something to say to you.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:34 AM

3 posts, read 3,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
You got to be smarter than those who spent countless hours on this CD trying to promote Portland is heaven on earth. WAKE UP !!!!!
Where do you live? I see more and more people leaving California for Portland as the California draught rages on

Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 AM

584 posts, read 1,217,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve33 View Post
Where do you live? I see more and more people leaving California for Portland as the California draught rages on
Californians has been moving to Seattle, Portland since the early 90's. But for the last 10 years a big chunk of Californian moved to Texas because of affordable housing plus a ton of jobs. Look at north Dallas cities like Frisco, Plano, Proper,Allen, McKinney. Down in Houston you also have a ton of Californians at The Woodland, Katy, Sugar Land, and in Austin you have young tech folks moved from the bay area.

Besides Texas , Californians moved to Arizona, Nevada, then up north to Portland, Seattle. Very much in that order.

The more expensive, the less likely or perhaps i should say less people from California will move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland