Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 3,702 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know this is a common question here so I apologize in advanced. I am moving to the Portland area from California (Bay Area) and we will be looking at buying a house (4 bedroom preferred). Our number one priorities are good schools, commute time to work (Beaverton) and the ability for the house to maintain its value with potential for renting in the future. The areas I have narrowed down to so far are (in no particular order):
1. Lake Oswego - Is there a big difference between Lake Oswego High School and Lakeridge? The prices of the homes that are in the Lakeridge boundaries seem less expensive.
2. West Linn - Is there a reason this area is so much cheaper than Lake Oswego?
3. North West Portland (Lincoln High) - Is public transportation very good here?

For each, I'm wondering how long it would take to get to work (Beaverton) in the morning (7AM - 9AM) and evening (4PM-6PM). Google maps shows about 20-30 minutes but not sure what the rush hour traffic from these locations looks like on a regular basis.

Also, one question about property taxes. It looks like the property taxes in NW Portland are really high (Above 2%) and around Lake Oswego closer to 1.77% and even lower for West Linn. My questions:
1. Is this because the properties in Portland are older so they have had more time for Tax assessment value to reach the market value. It seems a lot of the properties here, the difference between the tax assessment value and the market value is not very different.
2. Property prices seem to increase about 3% per year? I thought I read somewhere this is the limit? Is there a limit on how high they can go. For example, if we buy in NW Portland where the tax assessment is already at the market price, will the property tax still increase 3% per year or is it limited by your purchase price?
3. Why are property assessment so low in West Linn compared to the rest of the area?

Also, what are things to do in each location - we do enjoy going to new restaurants, bars, etc as well as going on hikes, fishing, jogs, etc. We are both young and do not have kids yet but do see that in the future but since we don't have many friends in the portland area, we are a bit afraid to be isolated moving into a place with all families or seniors. For this, Portland seems better but I am a little afraid of the high property prices combined with the high property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:01 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
With respect to home prices, supply and demand. Homes in Lake Oswego on the lake are relatively expensive and older. It may be that water properties or those with lake access are part of a HOA with expenses of their own such as maintaining the lake.

Homes in the Lincoln High School enrollment area are relatively expensive because many are grand dames and traditionally owners are professionals and executives. Think Los Altos or Menlo Park.

The commute from West Linn and Lake Oswego to high tech Beaverton that involves I-217 can be nasty. Traffic can crawl. Wouldn't be my first choice.

Living in Portland's west hills commute-wise is better than Lake Oswego and West Linn because you do not use I-217 and there are alternate routes to avoid Highway 26 pinch points. Hgy 26 is a stinker west of the tunnel east bound - get off at the Skyline exit well before and use local streets to go home. I have lived in NW & city core SW most of my life so use them all the time. The MAX (our light rail) is an option depending on your specific location. For example if you purchased a home in the Arlington Heights neighborhood you could either walk or catch Bus 63 or 83 to the Zoo stop.

I suggest you also consider homes in the Beaverton School District Westview High School enrollment area. https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/scho...Pages/Map.aspx Here is a map of the park district that serves Beaverton and environs: http://cdn1.thprd.org/pdfs2/document133.pdf

Oregon has its own property tax limitation law which results in a distortion in property taxes on individual properties. Three misconceptions about Oregon's property tax rules | OregonLive.com In general property taxes are higher in Portland and Multnomah County in part because they are dealing with antiquated water and sewer systems that are very expensive to replace/maintain. One other issue is that the Portland City Council decisions are, IMHO, ridiculous.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 04-01-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Agree with Nell. Since you will be working in Beaverton, look at homes north of Hwy 26 that feed to Westview, Sunset, or the other High School up there (can't remember the name). The commutes from West Linn to Beaverton (traffic can be crappy frequently) or NW Portland to Beaverton (traffic and limited route options because of geography) are not great and neither of those school districts are any better than the schools north of Hwy 26.

Lake Oswego the commute will be not as bad as from West Linn, and the school district is probably the best in the state, but you will pay a premium to live there. I would consider LO to be the Beverly Hills of the Portland metro area and it has something of a "snooty" vibe as compared to other cities in the area.

The taxes are the highest on the NW Portland properties because those properties are in Multnomah county and the Lake Oswego/West Linn properties are mostly in Clackamas county. Multnomah county has the highest property taxes in the metro area by a significant margin.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,469 times
I think you should also look at the SW PDX neighborhoods. These include Hillsdale, Council crest, Vermont hills, Raleigh Hills etc. If taxes are a big concern (you somewhat get what you pay for), there are areas between Portland and Beaverton that are unincorporated that May have lower taxes - and services. These include Garden Home and parts of Raleigh Hills. Good luck with your search and move.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:41 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Yeah I would not buy a place that's far from where you work, I mean why bother? If you're going to spend an extra 30 minutes in the car per day even, that's 10 hours per month. That's 120 hours per year. In a decade that's 1,200 hours wasted, about the time that you could use to learn a new skill or take up a new hobby haha. I mean seriously, why do people do that?! Especially when you're talking about a cheaper area of Portland so there's no reason to be like, "Well I would live where I work, but I can't afford it." Everyone can afford Beaverton. It just makes sense to live close to where you work.

There are plenty of good houses out that way, too, nice neighborhoods just before 185th that are technically in Portland still and other houses and neighborhoods in and around Beaverton that are super nice. There's a ton of variety. I lived in Beaverton for several years in a townhouse. I admit I didn't really enjoy it because the suburbs are not my scene and our place was fairly small (1,600 sq. feet) so it's pretty boring. The best way to combat the boredom of the suburbs in Portland, though, is to go on vacation and get out of dodge. It's just about the most boring, sleepiest city I can imagine with nothing but breeders everywhere, so whether you live in Beaverton or Lake Oswego or anywhere else it's the same mediocrity when it comes to that.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve33 View Post
Hi, I know this is a common question here so I apologize in advanced. I am moving to the Portland area from California (Bay Area) and we will be looking at buying a house (4 bedroom preferred). Our number one priorities are good schools, commute time to work (Beaverton) and the ability for the house to maintain its value with potential for renting in the future. The areas I have narrowed down to so far are (in no particular order):
1. Lake Oswego - Is there a big difference between Lake Oswego High School and Lakeridge? The prices of the homes that are in the Lakeridge boundaries seem less expensive.
2. West Linn - Is there a reason this area is so much cheaper than Lake Oswego?
3. North West Portland (Lincoln High) - Is public transportation very good here?

For each, I'm wondering how long it would take to get to work (Beaverton) in the morning (7AM - 9AM) and evening (4PM-6PM). Google maps shows about 20-30 minutes but not sure what the rush hour traffic from these locations looks like on a regular basis.

Also, one question about property taxes. It looks like the property taxes in NW Portland are really high (Above 2%) and around Lake Oswego closer to 1.77% and even lower for West Linn. My questions:
1. Is this because the properties in Portland are older so they have had more time for Tax assessment value to reach the market value. It seems a lot of the properties here, the difference between the tax assessment value and the market value is not very different.
2. Property prices seem to increase about 3% per year? I thought I read somewhere this is the limit? Is there a limit on how high they can go. For example, if we buy in NW Portland where the tax assessment is already at the market price, will the property tax still increase 3% per year or is it limited by your purchase price?
3. Why are property assessment so low in West Linn compared to the rest of the area?

Also, what are things to do in each location - we do enjoy going to new restaurants, bars, etc as well as going on hikes, fishing, jogs, etc. We are both young and do not have kids yet but do see that in the future but since we don't have many friends in the portland area, we are a bit afraid to be isolated moving into a place with all families or seniors. For this, Portland seems better but I am a little afraid of the high property prices combined with the high property tax.
My forecast is >>> condo/town home in Portland has peaked couple months ago and now fighting for offer soon have to lower price. Single family home to follow and i think by July peak is the latest. I would rent now if you from out of state. Give it 2 years and reassessment from there.

my 2 cents.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:46 PM

Realtor will never like what am saying but that is what i am seeing. Sorry !

Old 04-10-2015, 11:48 PM

Big banks knew what coming so don't get too hyped.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 PM

If something like this looks funny to you then you have to be really careful.

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Beaverton/.../home/54836299

Old 04-11-2015, 12:01 AM

You got to be smarter than those who spent countless hours on this CD trying to promote Portland is heaven on earth. WAKE UP !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland