U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 AM

371 posts, read 449,384 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Portland metro area this summer from Massachusetts and am retired and enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan. Not sure if I should post this in the Retired forum or not, but I would appreciate any advice on the plans available to me in Oregon. There appear to be only a few choices, all HMOs, and I will have to enroll in one of them once I arrive. Any retirees out there in the Portland area that have any experience with these plans? Any suggestions on which to choose? Thanks for any info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 AM

10,667 posts, read 18,093,194 times
I am enrolled in the Kaiser plan. One of its features is a good dental option which you can only sign up for initially to prevent adverse selection. No problem getting services although scheduling dental services can require a long wait unless it is critical. Kaiser is very organized.. great patient portal for communication with your health care provider & scheduling medical appointments. Meds are dispensed through their pharmacy's cheaper than Costco (doubtless co-pays play a role in that). FWIW you don't need to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.

They have two hospitals, a new one in Hillsboro near the Tanasbourne Shopping Center and a more 'mature' one in the far SE part of Portland near the Clackamas Town Center.

There are medical and dental clinics scattered throughout the area, the skills of their physicians and dentists is excellent. They attract physicians who want a balance in their own work lives so have many more applicants than openings. Kaiser allows for 2nd opinions out of network for serious health treatment decisions and has a history of referring patients out of network if a better outcome would result.

Providence offers a Medicare Advantage Plan also. Before I signed up for Kaiser's Medicare advantage plan I was on a fee for service plan and used physicians in the Providence network. I received excellent care at their St. Vincent Hospital. Providence has some primary care physicians but many physicians are affiliated (vs employed). Providence has two major hospitals not far from down town as well as smaller hospitals in the area.

I recently used Kaiser's emergency services and found their workup through and care givers thoughtful and considerate. In both systems if you end up in an out of network hospital as a result of emergency dispatch (in Portland Metro there is a dispatch center at OHSU that matches patients with capacity) you will be transferred when stable. Serious burn patients stay at Emanuel.

Both Kaiser and Providence's Medicare Advantage programs have 4-star ratings. Anything else you want to know?

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 04-13-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-13-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I am enrolled in the Kaiser plan. One of its features is a good dental option which you can only sign up for initially to prevent adverse selection. No problem getting services although scheduling dental services can require a long wait unless it is critical. Kaiser is very organized.. great patient portal for communication with your health care provider & scheduling medical appointments. Meds are dispensed through their pharmacy's cheaper than Costco (doubtless co-pays play a role in that). FWIW you don't need to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.

They have two hospitals, a new one in Hillsboro near the Tanasbourne Shopping Center and a more 'mature' one in the far SE part of Portland near the Clackamas Town Center.

There are medical and dental clinics scattered throughout the area, the skills of their physicians and dentists is excellent. They attract physicians who want a balance in their own work lives so have many more applicants than openings. Kaiser allows for 2nd opinions out of network for serious health treatment decisions and has a history of referring patients out of network if a better outcome would result.

Providence offers a Medicare Advantage Plan also. Before I signed up for Kaiser's Medicare advantage plan I was on a fee for service plan and used physicians in the Providence network. I received excellent care at their St. Vincent Hospital. Providence has some primary care physicians but many physicians are affiliated (vs employed). Providence has two major hospitals not far from down town as well as smaller hospitals in the area.

I recently used Kaiser's emergency services and found their workup through and care givers thoughtful and considerate. In both systems if you end up in an out of network hospital as a result of emergency dispatch (in Portland Metro there is a dispatch center at OHSU that matches patients with capacity) you will be transferred when stable. Serious burn patients stay at Emanuel.

Both Kaiser and Providence's Medicare Advantage programs have 4-star ratings. Anything else you want to know?

Wow that is incredibly helpful, thank you. When I first moved to Massachusetts, I wish I had posted such a question. I chose a plan that was very limited and difficult to find a primary care physician that was taking new patients. I have since switched after getting advice from other folks in my area and am much happier with my current plan. Thank you again!

Old 04-13-2015, 11:08 AM

From a care standpoint you can't go wrong with either.

I choose Kaiser because of the dental (I had gotten the feeling that I was paying for my former dentist's clinic remodels) where their priority is maintaining your teeth for a lifetime. Several friends of mine were using Kaiser's Medicare Advantage program and encouraged me to take a look.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
From a care standpoint you can't go wrong with either.

I choose Kaiser because of the dental (I had gotten the feeling that I was paying for my former dentist's clinic remodels) where their priority is maintaining your teeth for a lifetime. Several friends of mine were using Kaiser's Medicare Advantage program and encouraged me to take a look.
I understand that completely! The plan I have now covers cleanings, exams and bitewing x-rays every 6 months, and that's a huge help financially. The first plan I had did not cover any vision or dental. This is such great information...moving is stressful enough!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:23 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,482,155 times
Healthways.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Oops, Prov and Kaiser are both 5 star.

Here is a link to a 'finder'. I selected Washington County, put in Beaverton Zip code 97005, and asked for 5 star plans. Prov & Kaiser are the only ones on the list (there are various options). I see my criteria didn't save in the link but it is easy enough to use. Need help finding the 2015 Medicare Advantage Part D Plan that best meets your needs?

"Prov" is local speak for Providence. Prov Portland indicates their hospital on the east side, St. V's is the hospital close to Beaverton.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,482,155 times
I switched from Humana this year because I wanted Silver Sneakers and low copays.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:18 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,141,329 times
You can calling the aging and disability advice line and set up a SHIBA appointment to go over all the available plans and how they work in Oregon. You need to be in Oregon already but they may have someone who can give you advice in the meantime. 503.988.3646 The phone number is a Multnomah County program.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 AM

Thank you all for the information. Very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland