Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

Everyone should find their heaven. Best of luck to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:36 AM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
Why not move to Eugene?

Old 04-16-2015, 01:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Eugene is a bit cheaper (excluding southeast), and the bus system is pretty good.

Though realistically on a budget you could end up living off River Road or Barger, or in east Springfield, and I'm not sure either of those is a huge improvement over living east of 82nd in Portland if you're disabled other than maybe a slight improvement in transit. The smaller scale (plus the network of trails/lanes) makes Eugene a lot easier to traverse by bike, but if that's not on the table for you, you're still pretty isolated out there.

Labor market is not going to be an improvement over Portland.

Not saying you shouldn't look, but I'd be wary that it's really likely to be much of an improvement. That said, I don't have a great alternative. 5 years ago I might have said Salem, but their rental market is even tighter than Eugene's.

Edit - though $750 in fixed income will go farther in Eugene, it's not going to be enough there either.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:04 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Eugene is a bit cheaper (excluding southeast), and the bus system is pretty good.

Though realistically on a budget you could end up living off River Road or Barger, or in east Springfield, and I'm not sure either of those is a huge improvement over living east of 82nd in Portland if you're disabled other than maybe a slight improvement in transit. The smaller scale (plus the network of trails/lanes) makes Eugene a lot easier to traverse by bike, but if that's not on the table for you, you're still pretty isolated out there.

Labor market is not going to be an improvement over Portland.

Not saying you shouldn't look, but I'd be wary that it's really likely to be much of an improvement. That said, I don't have a great alternative. 5 years ago I might have said Salem, but their rental market is even tighter than Eugene's.

Edit - though $750 in fixed income will go farther in Eugene, it's not going to be enough there either.
I'm thinking I need to leave the state altogether. I've heard the Midwest is cheap, only problem is I don't have a car and it seems like the areas in the Midwest with decent transit are nearly as expensive as Eugene.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I'm thinking I need to leave the state altogether. I've heard the Midwest is cheap, only problem is I don't have a car and it seems like the areas in the Midwest with decent transit are nearly as expensive as Eugene.
12 Cities Where You Can Live Affordably in a Walkable Neighborhood - Walk Score Blog

Here is a list of cities that might fit what you are looking for or at least give you an idea on where to look.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:21 PM

678 posts, read 875,785 times
Quote:
I've decided to leave Portland for greener pastures. I will have about $1500 so it's a big gamble but I just need to get the hell out of here. I don't know where I'm going to go yet, but I am going to plan meticulously the next couple of weeks.

I quit my job and gave a 30 day notice to my landlord so I can't go back on it. I'm tired of freezing in my room, can't afford my heating anymore and it's still very cold, dealing with high crime and crackheads because I can't afford to live close-in, not being able to afford my own place, rude unfriendly people, and no opportunity.

Cya Portland! I tried to love it, and couldn't so I'm leaving it.
That's the ticket! Good luck to you.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
The Midwest is cheap(er) for a reason. But really it comes down to this: most people do not thrive away from family. I don't know why, they just don't. You will incur expenses moving away from them and then double it moving back when you realize you miss them. You will save enough money avoiding a wasted relocation to the MidWest to make Portland a more viable proposition. Get a room-mate or join a household that is sharing expenses or remain where you are. If you are cold, heat your bed, not your apartment. A heating pad or blanket pulls about 50 to 100 watts. You can be toasty warm all night for pennies. Cook your meals and avoid eating out as much as possible. If you have family here they should be feeding you some of the time. Portland may not be for everyone but I'm not convinced of that in your case. Very much FWIW.

H

Old 04-16-2015, 07:08 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
The Midwest is too cold, theast coast is too crouded, the south sucks. I like the west coast the most.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:24 PM

50 posts, read 109,598 times
Wanderbygrace,

I moved here 4 years ago from Ohio as well. I live in West Linn, but I think Damascus is a very pretty country town. I miss living in the country. I may be moving back to Ohio though for cheaper housing, prices are creeping up steadily here.

Vansteele, as far as freezing, Portland really is not a cold city. I've become a weather wimp since moving here and 40 degrees feels cold. Where I come from, when it hits 40 in March everyone is throwing a party!! East Coast would be very cold however if you ended up there. Just something to consider.
Portland is beautiful for sure, but is very expensive compared to many parts of the country.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenias View Post
Wanderbygrace,

I moved here 4 years ago from Ohio as well. I live in West Linn, but I think Damascus is a very pretty country town. I miss living in the country. I may be moving back to Ohio though for cheaper housing, prices are creeping up steadily here.

Vansteele, as far as freezing, Portland really is not a cold city. I've become a weather wimp since moving here and 40 degrees feels cold. Where I come from, when it hits 40 in March everyone is throwing a party!! East Coast would be very cold however if you ended up there. Just something to consider.
Portland is beautiful for sure, but is very expensive compared to many parts of the country.
Depends what part of the East coast. Once you're south of Maryland...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland