Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times

Advertisements

[quote=freemkt;39399581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post

In the middle of the country, arriving Californians tend to come in with a pot of gold that the locals don't have. (If the locals have a pot of gold, it took them decades to accumulate, while Californians arrive with a pot of home equity (the California home they sold) they can just throw around.)
You sound as if you have a problem with people who have accumulated wealth regardless how the wealth was created. I think you need to look into this issue as it's difficult to succeed when you seem to hate successful people. My parents moved to S.F. in the 1960's from NYC and Oahu. Californians were very open and welcoming to them. My parents returned the favor and made life long friends. Successful people get over "issues" from where they come from. It's baggage. My advice to you is let go of yours so you can find an affordable place to live. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

In the middle of the country, arriving Californians tend to come in with a pot of gold that the locals don't have. (If the locals have a pot of gold, it took them decades to accumulate, while Californians arrive with a pot of home equity (the California home they sold) they can just throw around.)
Eh, not every single person from California is rich or has equity when they move up here, a lot move out because they feel priced out of places like the Bay Area to begin with. I work with plenty of people who were born in California and plenty are younger people who didn't own a home until they bought one up here or just rent up here. There's wealthy home buyers from California, but there's wealthy home buyers from Seattle or New York or Boston as well in Portland.

If someone sells a home in Portland and makes a nice profit and moves to a cheaper suburb or rural area or other part of the state--they're just contributing to increasing prices and demand somewhere else just as someone move into Portland--it doesn't really matter where they're from originally or whether they were born in the state, in term of the impact. People say, well I had to move because other people moved in and things got too expensive, but that's often everyone's story everywhere. Sellers don't really care where someone is from as long as someone is buying.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 04-28-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 AM

[quote=CanuckInPortland;39403404]
Quote:

Eh, not every single person from California is rich or has equity when they move up here, a lot move out because they feel priced out of places like the Bay Area to begin with. I work with plenty of people who were born in California and plenty are younger people who didn't own a home until they bought one up here or just rent up here. There's wealthy home buyers from California, but there's wealthy home buyers from Seattle or New York or Boston as well in Portland.

If someone sells a home in Portland and makes a nice profit and moves to a cheaper suburb or rural area or other part of the state--they're just contributing to increasing prices and demand somewhere else just as someone move into Portland--it doesn't really matter where they're from originally or whether they were born in the state, in term of the impact. People say, well I had to move because other people moved in and things got too expensive, but that's often everyone's story everywhere. Sellers don't really care where someone is from as long as someone is buying.
I didn't post this, Yankeemana

Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post

I didn't post this, Yankeemana
I fixed it--people keep leaving quote tags from other posters in their quoted posts, so unless you manually delete it, they keep saying the previous poster posted something. I know who I was quoting, just like when you quoted me above it said Freemkt.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 04-28-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM

Thanks, Canuck! I don't want to take credit for freemkt's insightful analysis. BTW, I would love to see evidence that Californians left The Golden State in mass droves to go to Mid-Western states during the 1950's-1960's. One person'a limited life experience is not a big enough sample size to make such generalizations. Anyways, Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:15 PM

290 posts, read 288,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Actually Seattle and Portland(and actually San Francisco too, though recent numbers might have shifted) have both statistically become more diverse over the last 30 years(the non-Hispanic white population is less now than it was in 1980). The American-born black population might have dropped, but the populations of Asians, Hispanics, and Africans increased(along with some other immigrant groups). The thing is though, you'll often hear people just repeat a statement and imagine it's a fact--though often times they're just talking about the stereotypes of a city. There's a wealthier white demographic that's moved into the city, though there's actually been increased Hispanics and Asians moving in at the same time. Again like in San Francisco, the Mission District has become yuppie/hipster ground zero, but there's still a Hispanic population there---though more so they're in the southernmost neighborhoods of the city too now.

Now what is true is that some suburbs became more diverse in terms of who was living there faster than the core cities did--like how Renton or Bellevue, Washington changed so quickly--or a place like Beaverton(actually the most diverse place in Oregon). And the older African-American communities in the cores of these cities got dispersed through gentrification(though they existed there because of old red-lining practices to begin with) and got replaced with something more upscale and white recently.
You are right; Portland, SF, and Seattle have a higher percentage of non-whites now than in the mid-80's, a trend that mirrors what is going on nationally. Seattle has historically had a significant Asian presence and that has likely increased over the past three decades. And as you mention, other immigrant groups have arrived as others have moved out.

The question is whether the in-migration of non-whites is enough to offset the increase of whites and thus continue the 35-year trend you mention. Recent Census data suggests that it isn't. At least in the Seattle area, ethnic diversity appears to be decreasing in the big city while increasing in the suburbs.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
[quote=Yankeemama;39402512]
Quote:

You sound as if you have a problem with people who have accumulated wealth regardless how the wealth was created. I think you need to look into this issue as it's difficult to succeed when you seem to hate successful people. My parents moved to S.F. in the 1960's from NYC and Oahu. Californians were very open and welcoming to them. My parents returned the favor and made life long friends. Successful people get over "issues" from where they come from. It's baggage. My advice to you is let go of yours so you can find an affordable place to live. Good luck.

The ONLY problem I have is when Other People's Wealth makes me worse off. No harm, no foul.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post

Investors from je ne sais ou are buying Portland wholesale.

The developing story of the Portland real estate market shows that when buying a home, nothing beats cold, hard cash.

However, the question becomes: Who has the cash? Hint: It’s not the dreaded Californians.

Data on how such buyers affect the listed market are difficult to corral. But an InvestigateWest analysis of roughly 12,000 buyers who paid cash for listed homes in Multnomah County between 2006 and 2014 found more than 850 individuals or their corporate doppelgangers buying between two and nine homes. Those buyers were joined by the 26 institutional investors that captured hundreds more.

Flips, remodels, redevelopment and new rentals alter market

Old 05-03-2015, 01:29 PM

117 posts, read 149,728 times
freemkt,

In response to your reminding me of Proposition 13; First, I had no dog in that race and I never supported any type of tax initiative. Second, there was more to Proposition 13 than just a "Newcomer tax". The reasons for that proposition went much deeper.

You don't seem to like change to your little corner of the world. Sorry, but that Panteras box was opened a long time ago. I myself don't like the way technology has changed people and the way they behave but I can't do anything about it. Nobody likes adverse change to their way of life or environment. I hate to see beautiful young women with puss-dripping nose and lip piercings but what can I do about it? Or how about idiot young men who have destroyed their ear lobes because they think it's edgy to look "tribal" and pretend they're a Maasai Warrior.

I will agree with you that people with money are the ones comings to places like yours and affecting negative change.

The story you told of the CA woman and her activism is all to common of certain types of Californians, but remember this, she could not have pulled it off without help from the entrenched locals. Certain types of Californians are notoriously for behaving like this. I remember back in the early to mid 90's when California's were moving into Idaho and Montana and trying to change everything to make it look like where they came from along with causing property prices to shoot through the roof. But that's a small group. Most Californias move to new states because of the way of life there and comfortably sink into the background.

I don't know what to tell you about the change you are experiencing. Once you come to the realization that it's inevitable then you will be able to deal with it better and make a life decision so that you will not have be bothered with it.

Last edited by Another Place; 05-03-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
freemkt,

In response to your reminding me of Proposition 13; First, I had no dog in that race and I never supported any type of tax initiative. Second, there was more to Proposition 13 than just a "Newcomer tax". The reasons for that proposition went much deeper.

You don't seem to like change to your little corner of the world. Sorry, but that Panteras box was opened a long time ago. I myself don't like the way technology has changed people and the way they behave but I can't do anything about it. Nobody likes adverse change to their way of life or environment. I hate to see beautiful young women with puss-dripping nose and lip piercings but what can I do about it? Or how about idiot young men who have destroyed their ear lobes because they think it's edgy to look "tribal" and pretend they're a Maasai Warrior.

I will agree with you that people with money are the ones comings to places like yours and affecting negative change.

The story you told of the CA woman and her activism is all to common of certain types of Californians, but remember this, she could not have pulled it off without help from the entrenched locals. Certain types of Californians are notoriously for behaving like this. I remember back in the early to mid 90's when California's were moving into Idaho and Montana and trying to change everything to make it look like where they came from along with causing property prices to shoot through the roof. But that's a small group. Most Californias move to new states because of the way of life there and comfortably sink into the background.

I don't know what to tell you about the change you are experiencing. Once you come to the realization that it's inevitable then you will be able to deal with it better and make a life decision so that you will not have be bothered with it.

Again the ONLY problem I have with exogenous change is when it makes me worse off. And I think most people would say pretty much the same thing, although I am financially more sensitive to change since I live on the financial margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland