Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,897,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I came here 10-15 years ago when health issues rendered me unable to work for a year (limited mobility); with no income, family put me up in Portland until I was able to return to work. As I was staying with my aunt in her apartment downtown (which she bought when it went condo), I did not increase the rents anyone else paid - unlike all the other newcomers who drove up costs for existing residents.

In Michigan I was on the board of my local food co-op and my neighborhood association. I paid taxes there and I pay taxes here - my Oregon income tax is greater than my federal income tax. As a worker and renter I build wealth for my employer (who is in the top tax bracket) and my landlord.

If you own your home, newcomers are not pricing you out of town. Newcomers are in the process of pricing me out of town. You and I are in totally different boats. A rising tide lifts your boat while capsizing mine.
So, you are either from Michigan or from somewhere else and TRANSPLANTED to Michigan. Since you have lived in at least two different states, Michigan AND Oregon... you, by definition of a transplant, ARE A TRANSPLANT!

So, why are you on a thread complaining about transplants acting as if you are not one yourself?

(POT- you are black!
KETTLE- U hmmm...aren't you black, too?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM

[quote=khyron;39385840]Exactly this. This is my point entirely. (also, that contrarian angry people are silly wastes of time)[/QUOT-

It's kind of fascinating to me that Californians have such a crappy reputation by Western states since most people on the East coast find us to be pretty harmless, with great teeth!. On the East coast everyone hates NYers and Massh---s! Maybe I should take the hatred as a compliment?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 PM

206 posts, read 259,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I'd have a very hard time believing that's even remotely possible, unless you rule out all coincidences, manipulate non-alike data sets, and oh yeah...define "diversity" in one of those weird ways that makes everyone from the entire continent of Asia (or all latinos) into a white person.
Families' exodus leaves S.F. whiter, less diverse - SFGate

Dont know how credible this publication is, but it does corroborate everything being said here.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Actually Seattle and Portland(and actually San Francisco too, though recent numbers might have shifted) have both statistically become more diverse over the last 30 years(the non-Hispanic white population is less now than it was in 1980). The American-born black population might have dropped, but the populations of Asians, Hispanics, and Africans increased(along with some other immigrant groups). The thing is though, you'll often hear people just repeat a statement and imagine it's a fact--though often times they're just talking about the stereotypes of a city. There's a wealthier white demographic that's moved into the city, though there's actually been increased Hispanics and Asians moving in at the same time. Again like in San Francisco, the Mission District has become yuppie/hipster ground zero, but there's still a Hispanic population there---though more so they're in the southernmost neighborhoods of the city too now.

Now what is true is that some suburbs became more diverse in terms of who was living there faster than the core cities did--like how Renton or Bellevue, Washington changed so quickly--or a place like Beaverton(actually the most diverse place in Oregon). And the older African-American communities in the cores of these cities got dispersed through gentrification(though they existed there because of old red-lining practices to begin with) and got replaced with something more upscale and white recently.
You are right that Portland has become more diverse. According to this article, the Portland city proper increased its nonwhite population by 3% between 2000 and 2010, half the rate of Oregon as a whole, which I feel is significant. Also worth mentioning is that the inner eastside has apparently increase its share of white folks with people of color leaving the close-in areas for the outer eastside and the suburbs. I think this has all been covered very extensively in past threads.

In Portland's heart, 2010 Census shows diversity dwindling | OregonLive.com

Old 04-27-2015, 10:25 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,813,384 times
[quote=Yankeemama;39396907]
Quote:
Exactly this. This is my point entirely. (also, that contrarian angry people are silly wastes of time)[/QUOT-

It's kind of fascinating to me that Californians have such a crappy reputation by Western states since most people on the East coast find us to be pretty harmless, with great teeth!. On the East coast everyone hates NYers and Massh---s! Maybe I should take the hatred as a compliment?
I find it strange that Californians have such a bad rap here and East Coasters get a pass. The cultural values and social traits of Northwesterners are much more closely aligned with those of Californians than they are with most people from east of the Mississippi, the exception in my mind really being Northern New England, but only to an extent. I am of Californian parentage and grew up in a plurality (possibly majority) Californian part of the state though, so I may be biased.

But California feels natural. Seattle feels natural. Being in Chicago or New York or Boston feels like a different world to me. I feel more at home in Canada than back east, TBH. People are just so brusque and direct. There is no art or subtlety to social interaction--it's akin to hitting you with a blunt hammer, rather than diplomatically saying things without saying them and reading between the lines. Both ways have their merits, no judgment on my part; I'm just used to the latter.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:32 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,310,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
Families' exodus leaves S.F. whiter, less diverse - SFGate

Dont know how credible this publication is, but it does corroborate everything being said here.
In terms of statistics though the city is less white than at any time in it's history though:

San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In part though, because at this stage in a place like the Bay Area, there's a good chance a wealthy professional moving to San Francisco could be Asian-American. But also though because even as the inner neighborhoods get richer(and sometimes whiter) there's pretty deeply rooted ethnic communities in other parts of the city.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 04-27-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 10:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,310,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You are right that Portland has become more diverse. According to this article, the Portland city proper increased its nonwhite population by 3% between 2000 and 2010, half the rate of Oregon as a whole, which I feel is significant. Also worth mentioning is that the inner eastside has apparently increase its share of white folks with people of color leaving the close-in areas for the outer eastside and the suburbs. I think this has all been covered very extensively in past threads.

In Portland's heart, 2010 Census shows diversity dwindling | OregonLive.com
Yeah, people often just focus on the inner neighborhoods here, east of 82nd gets ignored, even by the people who live in inner SE and complain it's "too white".

I think basically though it seems like almost every major city in the US and Canada has seen increases in Asians(and every place in the US an increase in Hispanics) though--I was just down South and there's Vietnamese and Chinese and Mexican communities in a lot of the cities these days, much more than previously when I traveled down there.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 AM

[quote=backdrifter;39397574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post

I find it strange that Californians have such a bad rap here and East Coasters get a pass. The cultural values and social traits of Northwesterners are much more closely aligned with those of Californians than they are with most people from east of the Mississippi, the exception in my mind really being Northern New England, but only to an extent. I am of Californian parentage and grew up in a plurality (possibly majority) Californian part of the state though, so I may be biased.

But California feels natural. Seattle feels natural. Being in Chicago or New York or Boston feels like a different world to me. I feel more at home in Canada than back east, TBH. People are just so brusque and direct. There is no art or subtlety to social interaction--it's akin to hitting you with a blunt hammer, rather than diplomatically saying things without saying them and reading between the lines. Both ways have their merits, no judgment on my part; I'm just used to the latter.
Oh, I think you may have misinterpreted what I meant. I probably wasn't clear. I was saying that while I lived on the East coast, most East coasters viewed most Californians in a rather neutral way...almost harmless by their standards. It's weird for me to live in a Western state(not California) and be so hated.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,424,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
So, you are either from Michigan or from somewhere else and TRANSPLANTED to Michigan. Since you have lived in at least two different states, Michigan AND Oregon... you, by definition of a transplant, ARE A TRANSPLANT!

So, why are you on a thread complaining about transplants acting as if you are not one yourself?

(POT- you are black!
KETTLE- U hmmm...aren't you black, too?)

I like to think of my cousin - one of the first vendors at Saturday Market - as analogous to an anchor baby, he brought his mother here after she retired, and then she brought me here when I couldn't work and therefore had no income to pay rent. As a poor person, I never gentrified anyone's neighborhood or displaced them.

Family brought me here, unlike all the hipster and yuppie transplants who brought themselves and high rents.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,424,025 times
[quote=Yankeemama;39396907]
Quote:
Exactly this. This is my point entirely. (also, that contrarian angry people are silly wastes of time)[/QUOT-

In the middle of the country, arriving Californians tend to come in with a pot of gold that the locals don't have. (If the locals have a pot of gold, it took them decades to accumulate, while Californians arrive with a pot of home equity (the California home they sold) they can just throw around.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland